Audio-Technica's Take on the Microdriver: ATH-CKN50 and CKN70
Jan 15, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #271 of 294
I ordered a bunch of iems before Christmas and only got the chance to unbox them this week. CKN70 was ordered just out of curiosity with almost no expectation, that's when I tested those iems, CKN70 was the one that surprised me most. I thought it would fare lower than Carbo Basso or AKG374 but it turned out to be exceeding these two.

I  also got CKR9 in my purchase.  CKR9 haa a much fuller and warmer timber. It sounds more natural but of course CKR9 costs more than double. 

Thanks for those impressions. I definitely want to grab the CKR9 at some point. At the moment I have the CKN70,the IM50 and the CKS77X as my main iem's. All very different signatures from AT with different strengths, and they seem to cover all genres in my music collection, but I'll have to upgrade at some point!

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #272 of 294
I ordered a bunch of iems before Christmas and only got the chance to unbox them this week. CKN70 was ordered just out of curiosity with almost no expectation, that's when I tested those iems, CKN70 was the one that surprised me most. I thought it would fare lower than Carbo Basso or AKG374 but it turned out to be exceeding these two.

I  also got CKR9 in my purchase.  CKR9 haa a much fuller and warmer timber. It sounds more natural but of course CKR9 costs more than double. 

OK, I need to bring out my CKN70 again. It's been a long time since I gave them a listen.

Are you happy with the CKR9's?

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #274 of 294
Been with CKN50 for a couple of years now and now thinking about a replacement. What would be a good headphones in the same category?

Hmm give the EPH100 a go.

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #275 of 294
OK, I need to bring out my CKN70 again. It's been a long time since I gave them a listen.

Are you happy with the CKR9's?

Hi @peter123,  To be honest, I haven't got much time spent with CKR9 but so far my initial experience with CKR9 was good.  I haven't found any fault with it yet. The ability to deliver strong sub bass rumble impresses me most.  The overall sound is strong and clear. 

By the way, try putting the JVC tips on CKN70. They match my ears perfectly.

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #276 of 294
  Been with CKN50 for a couple of years now and now thinking about a replacement. What would be a good headphones in the same category?

ATH-IM70. 
wink.gif

Hmm give the EPH100 a go.

Wow... there's no doubt you are totally "bewitched, bothered and bewildered" by EPH100. 
deadhorse.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #277 of 294

ATH-IM70. 
wink.gif

Wow... there's no doubt you are totally "bewitched, bothered and bewildered" by EPH100. 
deadhorse.gif

Yep, totally whipped! 
tongue.gif

ksc75smile.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #279 of 294
Sounds like a marriage institution... till death do us part. :o2smile:   Don't limit and commit yourself a lifetime to just one, man. Look around. 

Haha!

Oh believe me I've licked my share of peanut butter (quote from family guy), and it took me a long time to realise how much I belong with the EPH100 (the love of my life). I even split up with her for a while but recently we have been reunited and it feels so good!

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #280 of 294
Hi @peter123,  To be honest, I haven't got much time spent with CKR9 but so far my initial experience with CKR9 was good.  I haven't found any fault with it yet. The ability to deliver strong sub bass rumble impresses me most.  The overall sound is strong and clear. 

By the way, try putting the JVC tips on CKN70. They match my ears perfectly.

Sounds that you enjoy the 9's so far. I'd love to hear more of you impressions when you get mother time with them.

Thanks for the tips (pun intended :wink: ) about the spiral dots, I'll make sure to try them out. I really used the CKN70 a lot back in the days so I'm looking forward to being them out again...

ATH-IM70. :wink:

+1

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #281 of 294
Thank a lot for advice, guys. I actually have CKN70, mistyped in the previous post. The thing that was a bit annoying about CKN70 was microphonics from the cord and the wind. Are IM70 and EPH100 better in this regard?

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #282 of 294
Thank a lot for advice, guys. I actually have CKN70, mistyped in the previous post. The thing that was a bit annoying about CKN70 was microphonics from the cord and the wind. Are IM70 and EPH100 better in this regard?

The IM70 is over ear so microphonics is pretty much nonexistent with them.

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #284 of 294
BTW, what JVC tips? I used Comply T-400 tips, which were sort of fine and the pack of 3 pairs lasted for 1.5 year. Then I bought the much hyped here [COLOR=000000]SHE3590BK[/COLOR], but do not like the tips.

I'm pretty sure he means the Spirals dot tips. Kind of opposite of the Comply tips which I find creating a more muddy sound and killing some treble most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back