Audio Technica the master of WOOD
Feb 1, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #257 of 480
Damn, what a pity, I was going to buy it but it sold out. So I ended up picking up a MDR-R10 instead and saved $2k in the process.
Thanks to the greedy person that snapped up all the stock.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #259 of 480
I just demoed wb2022 in nakano Broadway. Beautifully built but sonically not that impressive - not us$2700 level impressive. It's already offered with a 10% discount in Tokyo here and still available for those dedicated to Bluetooth headphone that is willing to pay us$2.7k (and probably those miss the chance to buy w2022). volume output is quite low. I went to 115/150 out of my phone. I don't think it's readily better than solitaire T or 5909 in my 10mins listening session. Good thing is the volume control goes by 1 step increment! Really useful setting.

It's listed as xxx/600. I imagined it'll be a tough sell for ath like L5000 (500 units) - i got my new in 2022 at slightly less then the listed price

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #261 of 480
@ddlo Is the W2022 already sold out in Asia? Is there any forum in Asia that talk about the sound quality of the W2022? I’m just really curious if ATH is going back to their old roots or continuing trying improve with their new Woodies lineup.

Feb 2, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #262 of 480
@ddlo Is the W2022 already sold out in Asia? Is there any forum in Asia that talk about the sound quality of the W2022? I’m just really curious if ATH is going back to their old roots or continuing trying improve with their new Woodies lineup.
I haven't seen any review of wb2022 except in japan. Maybe it's relatively new and it's not sent to reviewers for review.

I might be wrong but i believe it's not yet opened for sale in asia except japan.

I only have current gen ath woodies (awkt, awas wp900 and L5000). They're all quite different sounding. i think wb2022 sounds quite mainstream with decent details but light on mid+bass/bass similar to most japanese headphones.

Beware there's only usb-c connector on wb2022 so u can only connect it by usb-c to your source (except BT). I suspect it might not have true passive mode but i might be wrong as i read some info online that it offers true passive mode. even if that's true, usb-c connector still made passive connection between difficult.

Edited: The passive isolation is ok but not really outstanding. I could hear the surroundings quite a bit when no music is played. Without anc option, it could further limit it's practicality on the go - if it's the intent.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #263 of 480
I haven't seen any review of wb2022 except in japan. Maybe it's relatively new and it's not sent to reviewers for review.

I might be wrong but i believe it's not yet opened for sale in asia except japan.

I only have current gen ath woodies (awkt, awas wp900 and L5000). They're all quite different sounding. i think wb2022 sounds quite mainstream with decent details but light on mid+bass/bass similar to most japanese headphones.

Beware there's only usb-c connector on wb2022 so u can only connect it by usb-c to your source (except BT). I suspect it might not have true passive mode but i might be wrong as i read some info online that it offers true passive mode. even if that's true, usb-c connector still made passive connection between difficult.

Edited: The passive isolation is ok but not really outstanding. I could hear the surroundings quite a bit when no music is played. Without anc option, it could further limit it's practicality on the go - if it's the intent.
Did it sound warmer than the AWAS?

Feb 3, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #264 of 480
Did it sound warmer than the AWAS?
I think awas is warmer and has slightly more bass. The treble details of wb2022 is a bit better though.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #265 of 480
I am happy with the response on W2022 from Canjam NYC. Its response by the public honestly exceeded my expectations with almost nothing but praise and only 2 people (out of ~50) not being fans of its thicker tonality. I don't think we've ever had such a universal reception to any of our headphones before as we're used to quite polarizing opinions.

Some very trusted ears such as @Max_Settings even going as far as saying it was most impressive surprise at the show even exceeding his HE1 demo - this warms my heart :)

I'm taking all this good feedback and sharing with the Team; our newest gen drivers are really something and I think open up a world of possibilities in recreating a dynamic and incisive sound on the level or exceeding most modern flagship planars. Something magical about dynamic drivers that catches nuances of harmonic overtones and realism of a performance.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 8, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #266 of 480
I am happy with the response on W2022 from Canjam NYC. Its response by the public honestly exceeded my expectations with almost nothing but praise and only 2 people (out of ~50) not being fans of its thicker tonality. I don't think we've ever had such a universal reception to any of our headphones before as we're used to quite polarizing opinions.

Some very trusted ears such as @Max_Settings even going as far as saying it was most impressive surprise at the show even exceeding his HE1 demo - this warms my heart :)

I'm taking all this good feedback and sharing with the Team; our newest gen drivers are really something and I think open up a world of possibilities in recreating a dynamic and incisive sound on the level or exceeding most modern flagship planars. Something magical about dynamic drivers that catches nuances of harmonic overtones and realism of a performance.
Enjoyed the footage of the W2022. Would love to demo (or better, own) at some point.

Mar 8, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #267 of 480

What was the audio chain used on the W2022 in CanJam NYC? Also, any chance it’s making it to CanJam Dallas?

Mar 8, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #268 of 480
What about the WB2022?

Mar 8, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #269 of 480
What was the audio chain used on the W2022 in CanJam NYC? Also, any chance it’s making it to CanJam Dallas?
Plugged straight into the HA5050H and using its (now aged) built-in DAC still yielding fine results.

I am not sure about attendance in Dallas at this time.
What about the WB2022?
Reception was a lot more mixed here. Most people found it beautiful but the sound is what it is being a Bluetooth headset.

Truthfully I am no the biggest fan of the tuning. It should sound better plugged in via USB-C but I haven't tried that yet.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 8, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #270 of 480
Plugged straight into the HA5050H and using its (now aged) built-in DAC still yielding fine results.

I am not sure about attendance in Dallas at this time.

Reception was a lot more mixed here. Most people found it beautiful but the sound is what it is being a Bluetooth headset.

Truthfully I am no the biggest fan of the tuning. It should sound better plugged in via USB-C but I haven't tried that yet.
Thanks. So it's pretty much a waste of money. How unfortunate the WB2022 doesn't have 3.5mm jack with 6.3mm like all the other headphones. Nope, just make it a BT and call it a day. Shame because I was interested. These headphones are more intended for use at home, I mean, taking them outside or office with the risk of theft? Nope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back