Audio Technica the master of WOOD
Jul 18, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #182 of 480
Of all the AT headphone I own so far, the L3000 by far the best one. Bass on these are super addictive, prefer these over the Sony MDR-Z1R.

Jul 27, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #183 of 480
3CB08C6D-3C14-42D8-B99F-77E49AF2140A.jpeg

Aug 7, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #184 of 480
I finally completed ATH-ESW9LTD, 10JPN and 11LTD. They were tested against WP900.

WP900 is my least favourite headphone of all. That is not to say it is without it's strength. The soundstage is spacious. I own a stereo set of floorstanders and listening to WP900 is like listening to an actual set of speakers. That's where the similarity ends. While imaging and resolution is great, the musicality of it does not impress upon me, your mileage may vary. I do not enjoy this pair.

For the LTD editions, to keep it short from my perspective -
11LTD - more kick in bass, great for songs where bass supports the ambience, male vocals seems less forgiving as well. Not as clear but if bass is what you want, bass is what you look out for. Relative to the rest, this sounds like it was EQed into a small room.

9LTD - more exciting sounding, clear and resolving. Has slightly more kick in treble so may be fatiguing for those sensitive to treble like me. Or rather, these are not what you want to use at night. Could be great in the day.

10JPN - I would say this is very soothing, relaxing and laidback to listen to in the middle of the night. My favourite pair.

Aug 7, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #185 of 480
I finally completed ATH-ESW9LTD, 10JPN and 11LTD. They were tested against WP900.

WP900 is my least favourite headphone of all. That is not to say it is without it's strength. The soundstage is spacious. I own a stereo set of floorstanders and listening to WP900 is like listening to an actual set of speakers. That's where the similarity ends. While imaging and resolution is great, the musicality of it does not impress upon me, your mileage may vary. I do not enjoy this pair.

11LTD - more kick in bass, great for songs where bass supports the ambience, male vocals seems less forgiving as well. Not as clear but if bass is what you want, bass is what you look out for. Relative to the rest, this sounds like it was EQed into a small room.

9LTD - more exciting sounding, clear and resolving. Has slightly more kick in treble so may be fatiguing for those sensitive to treble like me. Or rather, these are not what you want to use at night. Could be great in the day.

10JPN - I would say this is very soothing, relaxing and laidback to listen to in the middle of the night. My favourite pair.

Tried 900 with any sort of baroque ensemble or small chamber music?* I thought they were particularly good for that, but otherwise agree, IMO the midrange really limited its usefulness.

* for instance IIRC really enjoyed this one

Aug 7, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #186 of 480
Tried 900 with any sort of baroque ensemble or small chamber music?* I thought they were particularly good for that, but otherwise agree, IMO the midrange really limited its usefulness.

I tried with orchestra. I just find WP900 not full in terms of richness but that could be due to its expansive soundstage. It is over resolving as well such that I can hear the musicians flip their score sheet. Not part of the music yo. Doesn't happen with the other ESWs.

I have to say the bass is really sweet and this is like one of the most comfortable over ear headphones I ever wore. It just disappears when you wear it. It looks really good right after ESW10JPN.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #187 of 480

So to put it in perspective the W900 shares a somewhat similar sound signature with 11LTD, AWKT with 9LTD and AWAS with 10JPN

I'm still holding out to getting the WP900 but eventually will just to complete the trifecta AWKT, AWAS and WP900.

Check out Tadaaki Misago and His Tokyo Cuban Boys - Everything about Mambo :)

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #188 of 480
So to put it in perspective the W900 shares a somewhat similar sound signature with 11LTD, AWKT with 9LTD and AWAS with 10JPN

I'm still holding out to getting the WP900 but eventually will just to complete the trifecta AWKT, AWAS and WP900.

Check out Tadaaki Misago and His Tokyo Cuban Boys - Everything about Mambo :)
WP900 sounds nothing like 11LTD....

No idea about the rest.

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #191 of 480
Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #192 of 480
For 9k you'd think they'd make attractive wooden cups/art. Legit their ugliest woodies yet imo, especially for the price. Let's see some alternative flagships from them now, hopefully cheaper and attractive.

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #193 of 480
It's just stock image for now? I do think it would look better on hands/ not pictures out of studio lighting, that make em look so digital-looking.
I think they intend to make artworks out of the cups now, interesting way to go through it, wish they would release a stock wood form without them for us mortals tho.
That headband and earpads looks cozy, not sure about it having a portable headband design and not the ADX/ AWKT/ AWAS one.
If it's portable, why give full size XLR for the balanced cable tho?
audio-technica_ath-w2022.jpg

Now that's better already.
ath-w2022_case__large_full.jpg

Here I thought my Z1R case is outrageous.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #194 of 480
I recall listening to the AWAS AWKT and WP900 at the audio Technica listening tree house in Funan mall singapore. The wood details are indeed super duper pretty. Aesthetically speaking I prefer the WP900 the most. The colour changes based on which angle you look at it from. Sound wise it think AWKT is a tad too dark for me, AWAS is slightly more dynamic sounding. But I kinda find them heavy to wear. WP900 doesn't sound as good compared to the other 2 but its a bomb to wear them out for sure, I'm sure will attract some attention lol pretty cans they sure are.

WP900 is sold...just didn't like the signature of trying to sound like speakers, very thin sound imo
I think if you compare WP900 to the others then maybe is sounds thinner, but take them as it is with no comparison, I dont feel they are thin per say haha

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #195 of 480
For 9k you'd think they'd make attractive wooden cups/art. Legit their ugliest woodies yet imo, especially for the price. Let's see some alternative flagships from them now, hopefully cheaper and attractive.

IMO the brown earpads and headband accent it in an unfortunate way- really clashes with the different brown tone of the lacquer.

Not really into decorated earcups myself, but presumably the Japanese market won't be offended by their own traditional art style? I think the design considered by itself (not on a headphone) looks nice. It mention's they will change with age- I'd find the earcups much more appealing if the colors fade or the lacquer darkens in time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back