Audio Technica the master of WOOD
Feb 10, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #151 of 480
for example AD2000 lacks clarity
They are not HD800 details monster but have more details than Focal Clear MG for instance and can really slam fast and hard like none of other phones, PRAT is just crazy. And you can unbend headband a bit to lessen clamp. Little thing that can make a world of difference in comfort and overall experience with headphones.

W5000 pads are too thin, I had better seal with L3000 pads.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #152 of 480
They are not HD800 details monster but have more details than Focal Clear MG for instance and can really slam fast and hard like none of other phones, PRAT is just crazy. And you can unbend headband a bit to lessen clamp. Little thing that can make a world of difference in comfort and overall experience with headphones.

W5000 pads are too thin, I had better seal with L3000 pads.
Well I specified that was stock ad2000.

With mods it gets much better, both AD2000 and AD2000X can have Crazy detail, clarity, imaging, separation slam and speed when modded.

I'm Very interested about what you think of AD2000 vs Focal Clear MG? Does the slam sound different to you? And which one is better?

The other day I was comparing AD2000( modded) vs ad900x with a 50+usd pair of OG ad2000 pads , and AD2000 was a big upgrade in atack and slam of sounds, drums and so sounded much more impactful than ad900x, ad900x was destroyed.

Also ad2000 had much more clarity and forward vocals.

You just have to find the sweet spot for your head to appreciate the Good driver it has.

I Only find it lacking a little when I compare to modded 2000x, modded 2000x has a little better bass quality and realism, bass guitar sounds more like strings and sounds louder than other headphones despite it has less bass than R70x/A1000z/w1000x

Feb 10, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #153 of 480
I don't have any mods on AD2000, except loosened headband, which helps with comfort of course and opens soundstage a bit as drives are not sitting directly on ears.
Clear MG is very close to Harman target, they sound "right" almost across the spectrum, except a bit too polite treble and slower comparing to AD2000. I might need to compare them back to back as this is from memory, but more aggressive treble on AD2000 was giving impression of more details, fake or not.

Feb 10, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #154 of 480
I don't have any mods on AD2000, except loosened headband, which helps with comfort of course and opens soundstage a bit as drives are not sitting directly on ears.
Clear MG is very close to Harman target, they sound "right" almost across the spectrum, except a bit too polite treble and slower comparing to AD2000. I might need to compare them back to back as this is from memory, but more aggressive treble on AD2000 was giving impression of more details, fake or not.
I'm pretty interested in this.
But yeah you really need to A/B since audio memory sucks.

But ad2000 being more detailed than clear mg is possible, fake detail or not, it's posible.

Also AD2000 driver has lots of treble refinement so it can sound VERY refined and "top class" there.

AD900X in comparison sounds grainy and lacks resolution

Feb 20, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #155 of 480
I'm pretty interested in this.
But yeah you really need to A/B since audio memory sucks.
Just spent evening comparing Clear MG Pro and AD2000.
AD2000 brighter signature combined with airy and huge in comparison soundstage does give impression of a better resolution. Clear MG has better bass slam down low and are quite warmer, they have some weird metallic shimmer in the treble though, something I can't hear with AD2000.
Quite surprised actually, wasn't using those for a while, wonder why, it beats modern FOTM.

Feb 21, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #156 of 480
Thanks.
So the metallic highs, a Clear indicator ^^, is just present?

That was the main reason I rejected to buy the Clear OG. :slight_frown:

Feb 21, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #157 of 480
Just spent evening comparing Clear MG Pro and AD2000.
AD2000 brighter signature combined with airy and huge in comparison soundstage does give impression of a better resolution. Clear MG has better bass slam down low and are quite warmer, they have some weird metallic shimmer in the treble though, something I can't hear with AD2000.
Quite surprised actually, wasn't using those for a while, wonder why, it beats modern FOTM.
I have not tried any of the Clears, but with ajusted fit ad2000x and ad2000 have some of the most refined trebles I have heard, they don't have a metallic timbre there( that I can notice) .
They totally demolishe mid fi things in that department.

I wonder if I would find OG clear worth it considering it is more expensive than the AD2000/ad2000, but that is a different history.

Thanks for the A/B :)

Feb 22, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #158 of 480
@Josz27

Thats alot of 2000s you have :)
You should try the ADX5000. You might like based on the collection you have.

Feb 23, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #159 of 480
@Josz27

Thats alot of 2000s you have :)
You should try the ADX5000. You might like based on the collection you have.
Yeah I have thought about that...
I can't confirm since I have not heard adx5000, but I have R70x, some people say adx5000 is more similar to r70x than exactly an upgrade to the AD line.
I also wonder if ADX5K is worth x3-x5 the price of my 2000s , maybe not lol
I think I will get a good amp to pair with the audio technicas.
Currently I have an Asgard 3 which is a good amp, but I want something more resolutive while preserving body( not like topping a90) .
Supposedly Burson Soloist X3P does a wonderful paring with AD2000x and match well the audio technicas.

I'm open to ADX5000 comments or general recomendations anyway.

I think maybe I will sell my r70x and some other mid fi stuff to fund a new headphone or amp but i'm not sure xD.

I'm happy with my audio technica collection, I don't even want to think seriously about adx5000 because a desire to get them may awake!

Haha

Feb 25, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #160 of 480
The problem with some AT wing headphones is how fit affects the sound, hard to know the true potential of L3000 without having it, for example AD2000 lacks clarity , sounds wonky, and has wonky separation for my ears if I use it stock, the strong pressure plus thin pads with no depth at all ...
But if I wear the L cup on my right ear (reversed, lol) I get a different fit, clearer more airy sound and not as wonky, 2000x does not work with that since it does not even seal well when you use them "reversed"(ad2000 does for me)

I suspect W3000ANV and similar ones (That I don't have) have fit problems for some people, because some said that to him, the w3000anv drivers could have been from a 39usd headphone and that it was a disappointment

I also kind of have issues with w1000x, If I don't adjust them well they lose some bass and thickness in the sound, While A1000Z and A2000Z sounds almost the same when you move them on your head(in MY experience) ( of course if you do massive fit variations, they change the sound but it is way less intense change than with other headphones)

Yea I would have to agree here just based on my W5000 and L3000 pairs. Fit may be one of the biggest challenges for the older AT headphones and it sounds like is still an issue with some of the newer. They have always fit me pretty well (average/smallish head), but when they aren't positioned perfectly it drastically affects the sound even for me. More so the W5000, but still true for the L3000 as well.

All I can say is this though regarding the L3000. It's been a decade since I had my original pair, and here I am with another pair that is still top 3 enjoyment for me. I think that's a pretty big testament lol

Mar 28, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #161 of 480
Yeah I have thought about that...
I can't confirm since I have not heard adx5000, but I have R70x, some people say adx5000 is more similar to r70x than exactly an upgrade to the AD line.
I also wonder if ADX5K is worth x3-x5 the price of my 2000s , maybe not lol
I think I will get a good amp to pair with the audio technicas.
Currently I have an Asgard 3 which is a good amp, but I want something more resolutive while preserving body( not like topping a90) .
Supposedly Burson Soloist X3P does a wonderful paring with AD2000x and match well the audio technicas.

I'm open to ADX5000 comments or general recomendations anyway.

I think maybe I will sell my r70x and some other mid fi stuff to fund a new headphone or amp but i'm not sure xD.

I'm happy with my audio technica collection, I don't even want to think seriously about adx5000 because a desire to get them may awake!

Haha

Had the ADX5000 twice, sold em twice. AWKT beats them in pretty much every area other than ss size/accuracy. AWKT has better tone, timbre, micro detail, and textured bass. Very close in bass impact for both, but AD5000 sounds nearly one note at times with the bass, in direct comparison anyway. Also, the AWKT is slightly more musical too, yet bests the AD5Ks in technicalities for the most part.

For the AD2000...I'll never sell mine. On the right amp (especially my Studio B) they can go to the moon, and nearly match the AD5K and HD800 in technicalities, all while being way more musically enjoyable imo.

Mar 29, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #162 of 480
After years of retirement into this hobby and just coming back into the hobby (blame pandemic lockdowns for that) AWAS was the first pair I purchased and AWKT a week after that. AWAS has been rarely used and stays in it's box since then.

Mar 29, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #163 of 480
Good to see more AWKT fans. The way the AWKT accents just the right amount to make it a emotional listen while not enhancing any sibilance prone areas is a work of art. These 2 years later I still want to thank the engineering team for making this work of art mid centric headphone that can never be fine tuned this well using objective measurements happen.

Truely a endgame headphone. I would say its main weakness is that the bass is very precise and dry which would be a no go for people looking for fun dirty wet bass. That being said the subbass on this headphone is truely something to marvel at. No matter if its the double bass or leather drums I'm always impressed with how realistic the subbass is.

Mar 29, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #164 of 480
I gotta get the AWKT in for a bonus* post now... 👀 The AWKT was pretty good in my brief time with them thou.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back