Audio Technica Pro700 MK2
Dec 20, 2012 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Wintersxx866

100+ Head-Fier
I've got to say... I was a bit skeptical at first as to how these headphones would perform since they are labeled as "monitor headphones"...  The reason I say this is due to the fact that the type of headphones I prefer have a lot of physical vibration impact if you will.  I feel that they make the music more alive.  A great example of an impact headphone I've experienced would be the Sony MDRX 10... They have a massive amount of bass and paired with plush padding they have, transfers a lot of kinetic energy to the head.  Sadly though, the highs and mids and EVERYTHING else about the Sony's besides the bass sound like poop... Very VERY boring in my opinion.  So this is where my search began and after going through multiple reviews on different headphones, I decided to go with the ATH Pro700 MK2s.  After sitting on my stair well for what felt like decades, the UPS man bravely ran through snow and sleet to drop off my jewels at the front door.  The first things I noticed about the ATH Pro700 MK2s are the fact that... there really is no other way to describe this but it feels like a tank.  Build quality definitely is superb!  What I noticed that almost every review left out, is the fact that on the outside of the cans, where the ATH logo is, its actually made out of a rubber type material.  Don't worry though it seems to be just some sort of coating as the shell is completely solid.  I figured the reason why ATH does this for driver installation or something.  

Build quality like I have mentioned before is VERY solid!  Unlike the ATH M50s, the adjustment band isn't made out of aluminum but instead some really durable grade plastics.  I would not worry about this aspect as I have heard the Pro700s before use to have a metal adjustment band but was changed to plastic.  My guess for this is weight as this tank isn't exactly light but isn't exactly heavy.  The inside of the headband IS made out of aluminum and I will tell why this is so key later on.

Comfort... Ehhh not exactly the most comfy things to snuggle up in for hours on end... I can't blame Audio Technica and say this is a flaw since the Pro700 MK2s ARE sold as DJ headphones.  They are suppose to have some major clamping for to aid in isolation so they are doing their job properly.  NOW, with the clamping force "issue" said, the fix for the average user, would be to actually stretch out the headphones themselves.  Instead waiting one or two days to stretch out the headphones with a box or something, there is a MUCH easier way to do this.  Remember the design area early when I noted the headband bottom is made out of aluminum?  Kekeke, aluminum unlike plastics, don't go back into their original shape as easily if hardly ever.  You can just take both hands on the headband and stretch them out with ease.  No worries as this does no damage at all.  DO NOT stretch them out too far as you'll lose all clamping force which is still needed for isolation and bass.  Just stretch them out to a comfy level of head hugging hehe.  Also the ear pads are not exactly the best of designs and I do have to admit ATH could have done something slightly better here... The ear pads unlike the M50s don't do a good job of covering your ears completely as it almost feels like a semi over the ear, but semi on the ear... (I have big ears)  This allows a lot of gaps to occur and will take a lot of readjustment to get a good or decent seal depending on ear size.  Another thing that is discomforting is the fact that the padding isn't exactly thick... I can understand this as well because for DJs its good to have to drivers very close to the ear but for the average user its not very comfy.  To fix this issue, you'll need to get a foam pad from 4mm to 5mm thick and just cut out circles and place them inside the the pads to make them more comfy.  It makes quite a bit of a difference as the shell of the drivers don't awkwardly rape your ears anymore.  Isolation is also improved as well.  Sound stage actually seems to be better maybe because the ears are slightly farther away from the drivers??  Not sure exactly as anybody else who wants to try this please comment your thoughts. Adding the foam definitely affects impact! I will explain this later as well. 

Now, for the sound... At first when you're just starting to listen to them prior to burn in, the sound stage sounds slightly dim and the mids recessed, as well as the bass being not soo hot.  With only 15 hours of burn in they are starting to sound pretty darn good!  Within 5 hours or so, they were already starting to become monsters lol.  I do indeed use an amp as I bought a Fiio E11 with it as well.  They amp doesn't work THAT great of wonders as there are much better amps out there but its good in that it does boost the bass a tad and when placed on the high gain settings, everything, ESPECIALLY the mids and highs become crystal clear.  At first when I was listening to Ellie Goulding's "Figure 8" without an amp, I was sad facing hardcore as her voice sounded slightly... back... but when amped and high gain is used, its like she finally decided to quit hidding and come front and center stage.  <--- EPIC HAPPY FACE!!! (^_^)  When running dubstep, hard style, especially Let It Be by Veela and Blackmill, it truly exemplifies what these cans can do in terms of highs, mids, bass and especially sound stage.  Some might disagree with me on sound stage but I feel that it is very night with it on this particular song.  This is to note, the sound stage is still slightly congested but isn't bad at all! It definitely has width outwards and slightly up but thats about it.  For the IMPACT portion, which I truly love, sadly the Pro700 MK2s are still pretty balanced that have really good bass.  They don't put out that much physical impact at the stock level.  With the Fiio E11 in use, the impact is only a tiny bit better as the bass levels are raised.  Only at seriously high and unsafe levels of volume is the impact truly pleasurable but then again, who wants to go deaf.  This is just simply the placebo effect as any headphone can achieve a good amount of impact with volume.  Now adding the FOAM PADS did add a good amount of impact due to the fact that the pads are transfering a lot of kinetic energy displaced by the drivers which was pretty satisfying.  I will definitely try to get MOAR impact hehehe somehow... with EQing or something lol or more padding even but hopefully will not distort the sound quality.  

I am not a hardcore audiophile and more like an advid listener.  This review is pretty much just my thoughts on the Pro700 MK2s so if I get something wrong please take it easy on meh lol.  If you guys know how to get more physical impact please tell me.  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back