Audio Technica ON3 :D
Mar 13, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lets get back on topic though:

I personally think that the ON3 is interesting in design qualities. There aren't many hidden headband headphones. Anyone up for modding some KSC75 drivers into a pair? lol

Lol, when i find the time i'm going to try add in the ksc50 drivers, since that's pretty much all that i got left of them.

Mar 13, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by li0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, when i find the time i'm going to try add in the ksc50 drivers, since that's pretty much all that i got left of them.

I've been really curious how the ksc75 drivers would sound in a closed can. I might go and pick up some cheap closed enclosure just for experimentation purposes.

Mar 17, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by li0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mids: seem ok

Lows: needs some spicing up

Overall: They don't sound too bad. Much much worse than say, the KSC50s.

I think the mids are relatively natural, if not exceptionally well defined. The bass is somewhat lacking in impact, but the sound is otherwise well balanced and musical. Isolation is slight. I don't think you can expect too much from a closed, portable headphone that sells in Japan for the equivalent of US$20, but for sound quality, I would pick the ATH-ON3 over the K26P, PX200 & ATH-FC7.
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyA**Sucka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you can expect too much from a closed, portable headphone that sells in Japan for the equivalent of US$20, but for sound quality, I would pick the ATH-ON3 over the K26P, PX200 & ATH-FC7.
wink.gif

you'd pick these cans over the other three? if that's the case, they're a bargain!

Mar 18, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #20 of 28
The main issue that I think people are taking issue with your ad evilking, is the fact that the day after you received the ON3's you thought that you "can't stop listening to them" and after having had the "Portapros for a while...these ON3s sound much better, far more neutral (no bass bloat)."); after having them for about a week you concluded that they were a "Serious waste of time, they don't even look that good. Portapro stomps all over these..." That is simply such a drastic change of opinion in such a short period of time that it seems hard to believe. I know that people change their minds, but from the posts you made it makes it hard to come to another conclusion.

P.S. Backpedaling and stating that "It's the For Sale forum! What do you expect? Had to get rid of them somehow..." did not help your case....at all.

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The main issue that I think people are taking issue with your ad evilking, is the fact that the day after you received the ON3's you thought that you "can't stop listening to them" and after having had the "Portapros for a while...these ON3s sound much better, far more neutral (no bass bloat)."); after having them for about a week you concluded that they were a "Serious waste of time, they don't even look that good. Portapro stomps all over these..." That is simply such a drastic change of opinion in such a short period of time that it seems hard to believe. I know that people change their minds, but from the posts you made it makes it hard to come to another conclusion.

P.S. Backpedaling and stating that "It's the For Sale forum! What do you expect? Had to get rid of them somehow..." did not help your case....at all.

Please pay attention to the dates and don't play with words...

I first listed the ON3s on the 4th of February. The comment above has the date 12th of March. Longer than a week
wink.gif

My audio "goal" is constantly changing, last year I was a major basshead and couldn't stand IEMs. This year, detail is everything! I buy, sell, and borrow headphones all the freaking time. In case you were wondering about the PortaPro sale in January, I had bought another pair cheap from friend soon after.

Ok, let's put it this way. First serious headphone purchase for me was the Senn HD205. At the time, I was seriously impressed (wow, headphones can sound like that? etc), I couldn't fault them in any way. Sold them in early Feb, although I hadn't listened to them in a long while. How would I describe them now? Muddy, excessively warm, medium treble roll-off, strange fit (well, highly dependant on ear size and shape). They are still a good buy for the price (in the UK at least) but I wouldn't recommend them (small increase in budget = better headphones).

I guess my posts in this thread seem like a prime example to never trust my opinions, but to be honest, I'm starting to realise that most of the opinions and views on sound quality are pretty useless for detailed comparison. The most accurate information I can hope to extract from Head-fi are the most rudimentary sound signature descriptions and general properties of head-gear, build quality, looks, upgrades, support, etc.

EDIT: The whole "what do you expect?" thing was supposed to be amusing, at least at the time. Considering the extent of some of the stupid arguments that go on in these forums, I'm sure very few found it to be so. My bad...

Mar 18, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #23 of 28
Evilking, my apologies for my bad interpretation of your words and for not noting the real timeframe of the posts. Also, thanks for taking the time to posting an explanation!

now back to our regularly scheduled thread topic
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyA**Sucka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the mids are relatively natural, if not exceptionally well defined. The bass is somewhat lacking in impact, but the sound is otherwise well balanced and musical. Isolation is slight. I don't think you can expect too much from a closed, portable headphone that sells in Japan for the equivalent of US$20, but for sound quality, I would pick the ATH-ON3 over the K26P, PX200 & ATH-FC7.
wink.gif

To quote myself, the ATH-ON3 doesn't really isolate much at all, and I suspect, for a lot of listeners, there won't be enough bass.
blink.gif

I'm a fan of the A-T mids. The mids on the K26P are so bad, I'd rather not listen to music than listen to it on the K26P.
basshead.gif

Relative to clip-ons, the ATH-ON3 is much worse than the ATH-EM9D but close to the ATH-EW9.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #28 of 28
Guys, stop bashing the poor guy.
Let him sell it the way he wants.

Anywho, I may be getting a pair of these and some other headphones from Japan..... How large are the drivers? I can possibly just...... *evil laugh*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back