Audio-Technica M50's overrated?
Oct 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

KodaO

100+ Head-Fier
It seems like every time I see someone in the forums asking for advice when it comes to headphones they are automatically turned to the M50's.

I just saw a thread that said the M50's were a great headphone for DUBSTEP. Which in all honesty they do not have the bass that the exclusive dubstep listeners are after.

Why are the M50's so overrated?

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 21
M50 is the new Grado  
confused.gif

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:
It seems like every time I see someone in the forums asking for advice when it comes to headphones they are automatically turned to the M50's.

I just saw a thread that said the M50's were a great headphone for DUBSTEP. Which in all honesty they do not have the bass that the exclusive dubstep listeners are after.

Why are the M50's so overrated?

The M50's have a reputation for quality and are the best phones I have in my tiny collection.

There are many trivial threads started here by people wanting help to select from the enormous selection of available phones.  I don't why they just don't read the headphone selection guides.  Anyway, the M50 seems to be a reasonable default answer for those repeated threads. A person could spend twice as much money without getting significantly better quality.

I suppose one could find cheap headphones that only resonate bass.  But the M50 gives equal attention to the entire music spectrum.

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

How could you possibly know that to be true? You mean you and your friends, right?  Cause you can't know the mind of all the "exclusive dubstep listeners" out there in the world. Not even a small portion of them.

It's also an interesting statement because the M50s do have some bass emphasis. They aren't the most bass heavy phones, but they do have more bass than a phone with a neutral signature. So they provide more bass emphasis that the dubstep artist intended. LOL

So I agree with fubar3's points, as well as the fact that the M50s, as a very popular headphone, get recommended because more people have heard them. 

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
The M50's have a reputation for quality and are the best phones I have in my tiny collection.

There are many trivial threads started here by people wanting help to select from the enormous selection of available phones.  I don't why they just don't read the headphone selection guides.  Anyway, the M50 seems to be a reasonable default answer for those repeated threads. A person could spend twice as much money without getting significantly better quality.

I suppose one could find cheap headphones that only resonate bass.  But the M50 gives equal attention to the entire music spectrum.

+1 to this. I think the m50s earn their rightful place as a well suggested headphone. In the 110-130 range these are amazing headphones for many genres, are portable enough to be used all the time, and are easy to drive for more new comers. I don't think its over rated but I do find them to be over suggested on head-fi to people they do not really match. i.e. people wanted headphones for mainly mids and highs and could be using a better headphone for then the m50s in the 100-175 range.

cheers

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 21
+1 to this. I think the m50s earn their rightful place as a well suggested headphone. In the 110-130 range these are amazing headphones for many genres, are portable enough to be used all the time, and are easy to drive for more new comers. I don't think its over rated but I do find them to be over suggested on head-fi to people they do not really match. i.e. people wanted headphones for mainly mids and highs and could be using a better headphone for then the m50s in the 100-175 range.

cheers

+1
I think people are set off when they hear the words "best headphones" and instantly think that's the way to go.  Then they like it and due to lack of experience start recommending it to people looking for headphones in the $200+, even $300+ range.  Imo, M50's are pretty good for the price.  Do I feel like there are better options in the same price range; Shure (get it 
wink.gif
).

Seriously people, take every opinion here with a grain of salt.  The only way you can attest to a headphones actual sound quality is if you go out and listen to it yourself.  Even if you don't have a local place to try out headphones, like some lucky dogs do.  Amazons return policy is there for a reason... I don't know how many times I've said that.

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 21
For most people, they will sound good and are valued well when comparing against Beats. I personally don't think they are all that great but they seem to be what is popular nowadays.

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #11 of 21
I am not sure, the M50s seems to have extreme end of people do either like or dislike compare with other headphones. However, people like Tyll or |Joker| who have listened and reviewed hundreds of headphones think they are very good in term of price and ratio.

How can they be wrong? (I am not saying they can't be too...)

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 21
Good value for a $130 or lower price point and in the US. In Europe they have very stiff competition at their price(which is £/€10 shy of the SRH840)

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #13 of 21
I don't really understand why a headphone is considered "overrated" simply because it is often recommended, there's more to it then that.

If people were starting threads like this: "I'm looking for a new headphone, budget $200-$300 (or more) need recommendations" and Head Fi'ers were saying, "yep, M50 is the cream of the crop!" then there would be a problem. But this this really isn't what is happening at all, far from it. More often then not the M50's get recommended to people looking for their FIRST quality headphone. Scan over the threads, I promise you that it is a typical scenario. If they aren't looking for their first quality headphone, the M50 still fits nicely into the $130 or so range that has already been mentioned.

The M50's get recommended a lot because a) people are often looking for headphones in that price range, and because b) people like the M50's. I don't see what is so hard to understand about people liking the M50's, it certainly doesn't make them overrated. If you don't like the M50's that is cool, but everyone's ears are different and many people do like them.

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
I don't really understand why a headphone is considered "overrated" simply because it is often recommended, there's more to it then that.

If people were starting threads like this: "I'm looking for a new headphone, budget $200-$300 (or more) need recommendations" and Head Fi'ers were saying, "yep, M50 is the cream of the crop!" then there would be a problem. But this this really isn't what is happening at all, far from it. More often then not the M50's get recommended to people looking for their FIRST quality headphone. 

Sounds like r/headphones. The recommendations there seem to fall into two categories, M50 and HE400. I've seen the HE400 recommended as portables and the M50 for classical...Just..NO.

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
Sounds like r/headphones. The recommendations there seem to fall into two categories, M50 and HE400. I've seen the HE400 recommended as portables and the M50 for classical...Just..NO.

There are always going to be poor recommendations in the mix, it's not really the norm though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back