Audio Technica M50's or Ultrasone HFI 780? or any other suggestions
Dec 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nokialover

100+ Head-Fier
I want to get a pair of fairly comfortable headphones that are good for listening unamped and useful for watching movies. I want to know is the Audio Technica M50 or Ultrasone HFI 780 are better for my needs. I am open to other suggestions.

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 13
does it work good unamped? How does it work with some electronic music?

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 13
It works very well unamped as it has low impedance and relatively higher sensitivity than other cans. Also, the drivers are apparently "lighter".

It works very well with electronic music, even though I'm not a huge fan myself. It has 4 selective bass response so you can choose if you want a lot or less. Mine is usually at the 3rd position (2nd strongest) as I find the 4th position's bass to be a bit muddy. It's a very fun sounding can that definitely gives another alternative to the already very popular market of closed cans.

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 13
Wow! So you can go from open, closed, semi open, They look like very comfortable headphones too. I think that I am going to get these ones then. Are they really comfortable from your experience?

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
Wow! So you can go from open, closed, semi open, They look like very comfortable headphones too. I think that I am going to get these ones then. Are they really comfortable from your experience?

No, they have small adjustable vents that affect the bass quantity. The principle is different - you can't really go from open, closed, semi-open. The adjustable feature doesn't affect isolation in any way. 

They are very, very comfortable. Like pleather clouds. This could also be a bad thing since the pads aren't stiff enough IMO. It's one of my weird ticks; when pads make that irritating deflating sound. It might not bother you at all though.

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 13
I have never heard the Custom Ones as they are rather new, but I have owned both the M50's and the HFI-780s. I much prefer the HFI-780s even though the M-50's are good phones. The 780s to me were cleaner sounding with better bass. The Ultrasone sound can be a love it or hate it kind of thing, but I would say that the 780s are no doubt a great value. If I were you, I would buy whatever you get from Amazon or some other place where you could easily return them and try new ones. The custom ones sound neat for sure, so if they don't work out I vote you give the 780 a shot.

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 13
thanks looks like I will give the custom 1's a try then if those dont work for me then I will go to the HFI 780, but about the HFi 780 how comfortable are they? I have read from reviews that they are a bit stiff, and That the most comfortable headphones.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
thanks looks like I will give the custom 1's a try then if those dont work for me then I will go to the HFI 780, but about the HFi 780 how comfortable are they? I have read from reviews that they are a bit stiff, and That the most comfortable headphones.

I don't recall feeling that they were particularly uncomfortable, but it wasn't amazing. I guess I didn't think about it, which is a good thing. I hate when headphones slip off of my head,  and I remember that I liked the fact that the 780s stayed on well--they were definitely acceptable for portable use. By contrast, the m-50s were looser fitting.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 13
The Custom One Pros you can pick up from the seller Razordogdeals on ebay for $150.
They are an authorized dealer.
That's where I picked mine up from.
They are the best buy for that price, by far.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #11 of 13
The Custom One Pros you can pick up from the seller Razordogdeals on ebay for $150.
They are an authorized dealer.
That's where I picked mine up from.
They are the best buy for that price, by far.

You dont think that there is anything else like them?

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 13
What do you think about the soundmagic hp100? I will probably with with the BCOP but want to see a second opinion.

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #13 of 13
So I just went ahead and purchased the beyerdynamic custon one prowith a carrying case
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009EEGVY2/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p267_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=12A6EWRV6NA9FXS0QK3B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

I have a doubt that they wont fit, and wondering if these will fit it
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NE7B06/ref=s9_simh_co_p107_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=12NBFNBFZPW0H5QZTQPE&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1280661682&pf_rd_i=typ01
maybe those will work thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back