Audio Technica M-50 question
Aug 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Headphonefred

Head-Fier
Hi head fi
sorry to ask this but i am considering getting the M50s, but i want to know if they are good for jazz? I ask because i heard that the highs are shrill or not detailed, and obviously for jazz the highs are often one of the most important parts in the music. Can someone please verify this, any opinions welcome :) also please feel free to suggest other headphones which are under £150. Also if they are shrill, will i notice on a portable music device such as -Dare i say it- an ipod?
Many thanks

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 6
When I owned the m50 I remember is as quite bright. You might look in the used forum here. An open hp will sound better for jazz and give you a more natural sound. You might find a pair of hd598's for about $175 if you look.

gL!!

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 6
I would highly recommend the Grado Sr25i for jazz. They are clear and open and they make Coltrane sound better in my opinion. If not, I would highly recommend the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro. They are very neutral and will make anything sound good. 

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Hi head fi
sorry to ask this but i am considering getting the M50s, but i want to know if they are good for jazz? I ask because i heard that the highs are shrill or not detailed, and obviously for jazz the highs are often one of the most important parts in the music. Can someone please verify this, any opinions welcome
smily_headphones1.gif
also please feel free to suggest other headphones which are under £150. Also if they are shrill, will i notice on a portable music device such as -Dare i say it- an ipod?
Many thanks

Heya,

I guess it depends greatly on what kind of jazz you're talking. I wouldn't use the M50 for jazz that is mainly vocals and piano for example. It would work ok for something that is more fusion with a lot of bass lines and sax or other instruments. I take it you want something closed back and full size that can work from an ipod basically?

I would put you more on the following:

Shure SRH840
AudioTechnica A900X
Beyer DT770
Brainwavz HM5 (Fischer Audio FA-003)
Sennheiser HD439

Very best,

Aug 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
When I owned the m50 I remember is as quite bright. You might look in the used forum here. An open hp will sound better for jazz and give you a more natural sound. You might find a pair of hd598's for about $175 if you look.

gL!!

Would second this. I am a fan of jazz and the Sennheiser HD598s are wonderful. The mids are prominent and engaging, and the overall sound is warm and inviting. Would not recommend if you're only looking to buy a single pair for use everywhere as open headphones leak sound, but the 598s will sound just fine out of an IPod. The sound is unique and fits very well with my own personal preferences - I enjoy tight (not loud) bass, a forward mid for lush vocals, and crystal clear highs. In its own relative price range, I've yet to hear anything I like more than the 598s.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back