Audio Technica in Canberra or Sydney?
Jun 3, 2007 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

bindibadgi

100+ Head-Fier
I've been debating whether to buy the a900 or the es7 (amongst others but it's come down mainly to these two).

I think I really need to see them, try them on and listen to them though before I can decide.

Does anybody know of anywhere in or near Canberra (Australia), or perhaps Sydney, where I could do this?

Alternatively, are there any locals who own them and would like to meet up?

I'm heading to Sydney for next weekend (St Ives I think) and I might be able to convince people to let me slink off for an hour or two if I'm lucky, so that's why I've asked about Sydeny. Otherwise I'm mostly stuck in Canberra.

Jun 3, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 19
I don't know of anywhere in canb that stocks Audio Technica. Headphones.com.au has free shipping though so you could order one and if you don't like it swap it for the other. I think they only swap for store credit though, not refund. Maybe you could try and find some places to buy on the net and see if they have storefronts in sydney?

Btw you can get both these about $100 cheaper from www.pricejapan.com (which I haven't used but is supposedly good).

Jun 3, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 19
afaik headphonic over @ perth are the only mob with a large selection of audio technica

jb/sydney hifi/any other retailer will mainly have low end sony stuff, and if you're lucky something sennheisers up to the HD497 range but apart from that you're out of luck

finding some locals might be your best bet. i sold off my ATs a while ago to a melbournian though =\

Jun 3, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 19
lol I tried Duratone the other day. The guy there almost refused to let me listen to anything other than the Senn 280 Pros (which I already have, like I told him). When he finally did let me listen to others, it was through some awful splitter and let me say it did nothing for the SQ.

I had much better luck at Better Music, where the guy is a DJ and knows his stuff. But there they only had Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic.

Still yet to find anyone in Canberra who carries Audio Technica.

In Sydney, it looks like DJ Warehouse might have them (Parramatta Road Leichhardt), and also Wicked Digital (Rangers Road Neutral Bay). Both are a fair way from St Ives, considering I don't know my way around Sydney.

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 19
nonlinear, YGEM.
smily_headphones1.gif

Most people probably don't realise what a long shot it was to think someone in Canberra would have the a900, but hey, you don't ask, you don't know, right?

Jun 4, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 19
Also have a look at www.tag.com.au. TAG are the distributors for Audio Technica in Australia. I would be surprised if they can't tell you where retailers for A-T product are.

cheers
Simon

Jun 4, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #11 of 19
Just to clarify, it's the AD 900 that nonlinear has, and I am going to meet him tomorrow to try them out.

So it's not going to give me really any indication at all about how the A 900 sounds, but it will be a great help with judging the comfort, fit and general feel (although there are some differences there too I believe). I'm just chuffed to find any AT stuff in my home town at all, so kudos to nonlinear!

I guess you never know. I might be so impressed that I buy a pair of these, isolation be damned! We shall see ...

Aug 23, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #13 of 19
I'm actually going through the exact same difficulties the original poster had. I was looking to audition two different Audio Technica headphones - the AD900 and AD1000 air series.

I have to say that I am rather disappointed with Wicked Digital in Sydney's Neutral Bay. I emailed them about auditioning these products and they said they don't have them. Yet at that very moment I went to their online store (which appears to reflect actual stock levels, since when I have bought from them previously the stock level goes down by one when I have completed the transaction) and could have bought 10 each of the AD900 and AD1000 if I wanted to.

All I had asked was whether I could go to their offices in Neutral Bay to try them out. Perhaps the store should be getting rid of any old customer testimonials that praise the process of being able to call in and audition a headphone.

I also realise that Headphonic have the 20 day deal, but the point is I would like to try before I buy, not after. Returning a product after purchase is a hassle for everyone and I have to wonder what happens to those that have been returned.

I've emailed Tag and will be interested to see if I get a helpful reply.

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #14 of 19
Not that I've had experience, but if I was going to try to snag some ATs for cheap I'd be going through some Japanese sites.

Audiocubes has a pretty big markup on stuff - the SJ5s I was looking at is about double what you would pay opposed to a good deal from Japan.

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by hauton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that I've had experience, but if I was going to try to snag some ATs for cheap I'd be going through some Japanese sites.

Audiocubes has a pretty big markup on stuff - the SJ5s I was looking at is about double what you would pay opposed to a good deal from Japan.

yes, bluetin/pricejapan are great services

but i think he wants to audition them before buying, and not many of the cheaper places have a return policy at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back