Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Oct 20, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #1,201 of 1,524
  Bro,do you own Fiio x5 2nd generation and ES18? ES 18 costs just $10. If so,I request you to try it by pairing it together.I started commenting on this thread purely because my friends had asked me to plug ES18,as I had one lying around, with Fiio x5 2nd generation.Given the fact that IM70 is 12 times costlier than ES18, when paired with Fiio, it should have effortlessly outperformed ES18 in all departments.But that didn't happen.I made my friends listen to it too.We all agreed unanimously that ES18,considering the price,airy smoothness,overall body,bass,mid-range,and its non-fatiguing sound clearly outshone IM70.There are two important things here:

1. ES18's highs are a bit recessed(in a good way) compared to IM70
2. Fiio player's volume should be turned all the way up to the max when you use ES18 with it.

then you like the es18! nothing wrong with that, save yourself the cash! =) for other endeavors!

run before you get too deep into this hobby!  

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #1,203 of 1,524
Bro,could you please suggest me a good pair of earphones? It should be warmer than IM70. I know you have tried both RHA-T10 and IM70. I didn't like the overall sound signature of IM70. How different is T10 compared to IM70 in terms of sound quality? Is it worth shelling out that extra money?

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #1,204 of 1,524
Bro,could you please suggest me a good pair of earphones? It should be warmer than IM70. I know you have tried both RHA-T10 and IM70. I didn't like the overall sound signature of IM70. How different is T10 compared to IM70 in terms of sound quality? Is it worth shelling out that extra money?

If you want warmer sound go for the CKR9LTD. :wink:

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #1,206 of 1,524
If you want warmer sound go for the CKR9LTD.
wink.gif

How is RHA T10? It has got 3 years warranty and also good build quality as per general opinions.

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #1,208 of 1,524
  Bro,do you own Fiio x5 2nd generation and ES18? ES 18 costs just $10. If so,I request you to try it by pairing it together.I started commenting on this thread purely because my friends had asked me to plug ES18,as I had one lying around, with Fiio x5 2nd generation.Given the fact that IM70 is 12 times costlier than ES18, when paired with Fiio, it should have effortlessly outperformed ES18 in all departments.But that didn't happen.I made my friends listen to it too.We all agreed unanimously that ES18,considering the price,airy smoothness,overall body,bass,mid-range,and its non-fatiguing sound clearly outshone IM70.There are two important things here:

1. ES18's highs are a bit recessed(in a good way) compared to IM70
2. Fiio player's volume should be turned all the way up to the max when you use ES18 with it.

No, I don't own a FiiO X5 II.

Anyway, I'm not mocking your experience with the FiiO and the ES18. In fact, I'm glad that you've found a good match, and that you're entirely happy with the 2. I'll be sure to try the ES18 one day, given the opportunity. I'm just perplexed with your (bad) opinion of the IM70 in comparison with the CKS77X, an utterly inferior earphone, IMO. This has led me to believe that you may have obtained a malfunctioning pair.

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,209 of 1,524

I came from the Tenore, which like you said, is a much more detailed and balanced sounding IEM. I understand the appeal of the IM50, it's got a big bass that works great with a variety of tracks, but I just can't get over the boomy nature of the lower mid/upper bass. The main reason I bought this was to replace my fairly worn out pair of Tenore, because I wanted something with a similar sound signature but with a bit more weight and intimacy. The IM50 sort of accomplishes this with a similar midrange/upper mid performance but then I find the mid bass to be a bit intrusive and makes a lot of things sound so unnaturally thick. 

Sorry to come off all negative and sounding like I absolutely hate them, it's just that I'm kinda disappointed. I do have to say that I'm quite impressed with the build quality of this thing, combined with an excellent cable and the fact that it's replaceable gives me a peace of mind that I don't get often when buying headphones.

On that note, I'd like to ask what other IEM under or around $100 would fit my preferred sound? I'm looking for something in between the Tenore and IM50, something with a rounded bass with a very intimate and present midrange without that bloated sound. 

Did you find what you described here?  I haven't tried the IM50, but it seems like we're looking for the same thing.  Something similar to Tenore but a bit more weight and intimacy.

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #1,210 of 1,524

Did you find what you described here?  I haven't tried the IM50, but it seems like we're looking for the same thing.  Something similar to Tenore but a bit more weight and intimacy.

I haven't found anything like the Tenore judging from other's impression and reviews, but I've been using the JVC-FXH20 exclusively now because it's even more impressive than the Tenore at the same price. I think its hard to top the Tenore in terms of balance and smoothness, unless you move up in the price bracket. 

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #1,213 of 1,524
Brave head-fiers needed for poking a hole on the vent under the nozzle. You'll love it more :wink:

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #1,215 of 1,524
It will be less mid-bassy thus more detailed and airy across the sound spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back