Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Jan 25, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #827 of 1,524
I haven't read through the entire thread yet.....what tips seem to work the best?

I'm about to order these from Japan soon and want to try a few different tips that work the best.

Besides normal tips I have Sony Hybrids and one pair of Comply so not much to choose from. 
[/quote comply tips pair well imo

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #828 of 1,524
Hi guys, it's my first post here on head-fi. I'm trying to decide between a good set of IEMs and the IM70 caught my attention. After reading seveal pages here in this thread, I'm worried about the durability of these. How are yours holding up? I know it's not the proper place to ask, but are there other IEMs I should look at, in this price range? Thanks

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #829 of 1,524
  Hi guys, it's my first post here on head-fi. I'm trying to decide between a good set of IEMs and the IM70 caught my attention. After reading seveal pages here in this thread, I'm worried about the durability of these. How are yours holding up? I know it's not the proper place to ask, but are there other IEMs I should look at, in this price range? Thanks

Durability is not a problem at all. The cables are thick and the housings are hard as rocks. You'd have to really try hard to destroy or even break these. I sleep in the IM50 every night. Under $100 the GR07 and IM70 are my favorite choices, but it depends on your music preferences too.

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #830 of 1,524

For me I use the IM70 for the gym and I think they're built like a tank and the cables feels really tough and strong. Haven't had any thing fall off or break and I've used them more than a year.
I also just tried my cousins IM50 and he tried my IM70 ... we both said at the same time that they sound so much the same I'm not sure the IM70 is worth twice as much.

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #831 of 1,524
I think the only difference between the im70 &im50 is the frequency range, but I've heard some folks say the im50 has better bass. I own the im50 and they are a great set of phones. they do get a little uncomfortable after extended listening sessions but I have small ears. they are very durable though and well worth the price IMO.

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #832 of 1,524
For their price .. they're one of the best. rarely are there iems with detachable cables in this price range.

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #833 of 1,524
Thank you guys for the answers :)

Quote:

Durability is not a problem at all. The cables are thick and the housings are hard as rocks. You'd have to really try hard to destroy or even break these. I sleep in the IM50 every night. Under $100 the GR07 and IM70 are my favorite choices, but it depends on your music preferences too.

I'll use them mostly on the bus, I had a pair of EX510 (my first non crappy IEMs) and I use a MH-1 now. I listen mostly to rock, metal, instrumental rock and classical/ orchestra. I like the idea of detachable cables. Do you think I should get the IM70's then?

For me I use the IM70 for the gym and I think they're built like a tank and the cables feels really tough and strong. Haven't had any thing fall off or break and I've used them more than a year.
I also just tried my cousins IM50 and he tried my IM70 ... we both said at the same time that they sound so much the same I'm not sure the IM70 is worth twice as much.

As I said above, I'll use them on the bus, nothing extreme like gym but some sudden movement might damage the cable. I was thinking about the 50's but this thread made me think more fondly of the 70's. Then there's another step up, and another, and my wallet ran away crying.
  I think the only difference between the im70 &im50 is the frequency range, but I've heard some folks say the im50 has better bass. I own the im50 and they are a great set of phones. they do get a little uncomfortable after extended listening sessions but I have small ears. they are very durable though and well worth the price IMO.

Thank you for your answer, I have only listened to "normal" IEMs, so I really can't tell if comfort will be an issue. I hope I can make the right choice here, as I live in Brazil and everything is expensive as hell here. I have a friend travelling and she said she could bring me one pair im her bag

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #834 of 1,524
As others have said, the signature is very similar. I've compared both but I don't have any of those posts readily available. Basically, the IM70 is more refined overall. Better balanced, better separation, etc. Bass is deeper on the IM70, and maybe a little bigger. The difference between the two aren't too vast, but they're definitely there. I prefer the IM70 just by the ear test over the 50, but it depends how much the price difference is between them. When I got mine, they were 30 more and I think that's worth it. If they're 50 or so more, that might be too much to justify. 

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #835 of 1,524
  As others have said, the signature is very similar. I've compared both but I don't have any of those posts readily available. Basically, the IM70 is more refined overall. Better balanced, better separation, etc. Bass is deeper on the IM70, and maybe a little bigger. The difference between the two aren't too vast, but they're definitely there. I prefer the IM70 just by the ear test over the 50, but it depends how much the price difference is between them. When I got mine, they were 30 more and I think that's worth it. If they're 50 or so more, that might be too much to justify. 

The IM50's are $60ish and the IM70's are $90ish. I think I'll get the 70's then. Do you recommend looking at another IEMs at this price range? Thanks again :)

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #836 of 1,524
  The IM50's are $60ish and the IM70's are $90ish. I think I'll get the 70's then. Do you recommend looking at another IEMs at this price range? Thanks again :)

$90 is good value for the IM70. I mentioned the GR07 above, but they're not as durable and more of a bright and neutral sound than the IM70. If you like the MH1, you'll probably prefer the IM70 of the two. The RHA MA750 is something in the same range that people like, but I haven't heard it and it's more V shaped than the upper mid forward IM70 as I understand it. 

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #837 of 1,524

$90 is good value for the IM70. I mentioned the GR07 above, but they're not as durable and more of a bright and neutral sound than the IM70. If you like the MH1, you'll probably prefer the IM70 of the two. The RHA MA750 is something in the same range that people like, but I haven't heard it and it's more V shaped than the upper mid forward IM70 as I understand it. 

I think the IM70's are the winner then. Thank you very much for your help. 

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #838 of 1,524
Well people hear things differently :rolleyes: to me, IM-70 mid isn't all that forward, but don't let that scare you, I am with neutral and detail kinda guy. I totally prefer S-018 rather than Im70. But since the thread is about im70. I like them, they are the best at what they was designed for....fun, relax, smooth, airy, natural sounds, detatchable cable, and you can upgrade it with a mic if you want to. Nothing beats it at 100$ bucks...that I know of. :)

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #839 of 1,524
Guys guess what arrived today a full week ahead of date? MY IM70.. So far out of the box I was blown away.. These destroy my vsonic gr07 IMO and they are built like a tank unlike every v sonic in existence.

Now I need to know what are the best tips for long deep ear canals? Only thing I have been EQ'ing a bit is a lil more bass everything else is flat line.. but i love bass.. Im surprised the mids and highs dont get lost even if i pump the bass to max on bass heavy songs like oh my by run the jewels.

great impression so far, hearing things I dont even hear in other $100+ headsets 

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #840 of 1,524
  Guys guess what arrived today a full week ahead of date? MY IM70.. So far out of the box I was blown away.. These destroy my vsonic gr07 IMO and they are built like a tank unlike every v sonic in existence.

Now I need to know what are the best tips for long deep ear canals? Only thing I have been EQ'ing a bit is a lil more bass everything else is flat line.. but i love bass.. Im surprised the mids and highs dont get lost even if i pump the bass to max on bass heavy songs like oh my by run the jewels.

great impression so far, hearing things I dont even hear in other $100+ headsets 

destroy your GR07?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back