Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
May 11, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #212 of 1,524
has anyone ever compare IM50 with Shure 215/215LTD?

thanks before, cheers!
beerchug.gif

May 14, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #213 of 1,524
For those that haven't tried, have a look at Philips fidelio/she3580 tips.
On my IM50 they bring the mids forward, reign in the boomy bass and opens up the soundstage a treat without being sibilant.

They also pair really well with my colorfly C3 when set on jazz which was a surprise.

I tired ue tips but it turned the sound towards being neutral which I find boring.

May 18, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #214 of 1,524
Currently I'm using a UE900 and just love it. After reading this, I just got so curious as I love female vocals ... I ordered the im70 on ebay but now doubting if I made the right choice as someone did say the vocals were better on the im50 and it's half the price?

Can someone who has both tell me a bit more about how female vocals might differ between the 2 models?

May 20, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #215 of 1,524
For those that haven't tried, have a look at Philips fidelio/she3580 tips.
On my IM50 they bring the mids forward, reign in the boomy bass and opens up the soundstage a treat without being sibilant.

They also pair really well with my colorfly C3 when set on jazz which was a surprise.

I tired ue tips but it turned the sound towards being neutral which I find boring.

Omg thanks a lot for the tips about the jazz setting on Colorfly C3. I really like how well it sounds now with my im50 earphones
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #216 of 1,524
My IM70s were delivered this morning and I couldn't be happier with them. I'm no audiophile but I listen to a lot of music. My last two pairs of IEMs I've owned some brainwavz M2 and audiofly AF78. The soundstage is really good and they have good clarity. I quite like the vocals through these.

I would recommend picking them up as they are excellent value for money. I paid 129 AUD and prefer them over the more expensive AF78.

May 21, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #217 of 1,524
Seriously, damn. i waited so long for these IEMs, and now I think they're faulty. The left monitor is really quiet and sounds really distorted. a crying shame as I was just getting to like these after the fit issues. The only thing is I'm kinda reluctant to return them to CDJapan as I'm going to have to ship them back to Japan, and I'm in the UK, and I can't really be doing all the hassle.

May 21, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #218 of 1,524
I just received my im70s this morning and I have to say I am rarely impressed with many iems. These are just awesome right out of the box. I've been using the UE900 for the 4 months and these for less than half the price are just as enjoyable. The im70s don't have the detailed highs that the UE900 have but female vocal range is much more full and lush. 

while I was in hong kong on holidays, I pretty much tried every iem there was I could get my hands on from very cheap to very expensive and only the UE900 impressed me ... most were just very veiled to me or very focused on one particular range of the sound. I find the im70s perfect for what I listen to most .. music like avril lavign, christina perry ..taylor swift.

I find the stock tips to sound the best but they're a bit hard .. the UE900 tips are way more comfortable for long use but sound a bit more higher pitched. I thought these were quite large and thick in pictures but they actually fit perfectly for me and really not that much bigger than the UE900s.

So the reviews about these are right .. these don't have a right to be this cheap but I'm happy that they are. The im70s are powerful, very clear, lush and smooth, vocals sound amazing and I'm going to find it hard to choose which one to use between these and UE900 from now on.

May 21, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #219 of 1,524
I'm A-B ing these IM70s and UE900s at the moment. Crap .. the IM70s sound better! much more fuller and clear sound especially mids. 
Yes the UE900 might have more detail but it also sounds more flat in comparison. I might have found a new favorite ... will run it for a few days to burn it in and see if they can get even better.

May 22, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #220 of 1,524
  I'm A-B ing these IM70s and UE900s at the moment. Crap .. the IM70s sound better! much more fuller and clear sound especially mids. 
Yes the UE900 might have more detail but it also sounds more flat in comparison. I might have found a new favorite ... will run it for a few days to burn it in and see if they can get even better.

Just remove the filters by the help of a neddle, you will like it even more 
beerchug.gif
 Or at least you can put Re400 filters onto the nozzle if you have but I find it better unfiltered, no sibilance still.

May 22, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #221 of 1,524
thanks ..... will definitely try taking the filter out just to see. 

May 22, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #222 of 1,524

On my im50, I burnt it in for 3 days ish, and the bass impact dramatically reduced...

May 22, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #223 of 1,524

On my im50, I burnt it in for 3 days ish, and the bass impact dramatically reduced...

Mine too but it is still better than most of my iems. Not a big deal for me 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #224 of 1,524

Mine too but it is still better than most of my iems. Not a big deal for me 
smily_headphones1.gif

Such a shame, if they didn't change, the bass on those are better than the SE846, most enjoyable bass I have heard from an iem..... If only ATH designed it for human use... the nozzle angle is weird and its so big the iem either sticks out (sony hybrids inserted half way) or it hurts my ears... they sound excellent for the price but I can only wear them for short sessions.

May 22, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #225 of 1,524
I removed the filter on my IM70s today and did it back and forth to see if it made any difference. It did give it slightly more clearness to the sound without any adverse effects that I can hear. 
It's not dramatically different but it's there. I think I will keep them off.  
For those thinking about doing it, it's actually just a very thin piece of fabric and easily put back. Just used a pin and picked the side of the edge and just pull off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back