Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Apr 10, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #167 of 1,524
A bunch of you have mentioned tip fit issues with the IM50/70. I don't own either of those, but I have the IM02, which I believe is similar in build.  I've found UE900 olive tips to fit the best for me.  Because of the fit, it also improved the bass quantity a bit and added a little bit of punchiness in comparison to the Comply foam tips it came with (which provided the 2nd best fit for me).   

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #169 of 1,524
My initial impression is total JOY over these. I typically dislike IEM's because they always hurt my ears and I have rather large ear canals I guess so fitment usually is lacking.
I didn't even change the stock tips out and the seal seems nearly perfect, also the memory cable is really cool as it seems to help with the weight of the IEM itself and they are very comfy for me personally.
I have had ATH700's, 900's, dt770 pro 80 ohm, samson sr850, JVC Harx 700 and my 24/7's are M50's currently. At work I have only used KOSS KC75's for years. My motivation to try these was I needed something a little less conspicuous for work that certain people wouldn't deem inappropriate. I only listen to rock and metal from 60's onward from old Deep Purple to Arch Enemy and everything I have listened to out of these is pure awesomeness. I use poweramp on my m7 HTC one at work so this is all I have used. All 320 MP3's. 

I find the treble to be almost perfect for this type of music it is just enough and not static like or sparkly which is what usually gives me ear fatigue but cymbal crashes fly right up and through where you want to hear them. The bass is pretty perfect out of the box, I don't really need sub sonic vibrating bass but I like a little extra emphasis for bass lines and double bass drumming and also some of the more electronic triggers used in some songs like "becoming" from Pantera for instance or "Laid To Rest" from Lamb of God, there's sections with some nice low booms and you can hear them perfectly. The mids seem right where they should be for shredding guitars with great clarity and precision but not enough to make it sound processed or lifeless. I am In love with these.

Apr 12, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #170 of 1,524
I'm so sad. Accessory Jack says they'll have them in stock at the end of the month and then I have to add shipping time. Seriously considering cancelling my order and getting them from cdjapan.

Apr 12, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #171 of 1,524
Hi, I'm looking for help all the way from Thailand. Pardon my English.

I'm about to complete my "Budget Portable" set.
iPod Classic (7th Gen.) 160 GB
iBasso D-Zero with ALO Triple Pipe D2M
Mostly listen to Rock Punk Indie Pop and EDM

I'm looking for a comparison between Audiotechnica IEMs.
ATH-IM50 and ATH-IM50

Thanks for all the comments! Big love from Thailand! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #172 of 1,524
Hi, I'm looking for help all the way from Thailand. Pardon my English.

I'm about to complete my "Budget Portable" set.
iPod Classic (7th Gen.) 160 GB
iBasso D-Zero with ALO Triple Pipe D2M
Mostly listen to Rock Punk Indie Pop and EDM

I'm looking for a comparison between Audiotechnica IEMs.
ATH-IM50 and ATH-IM50

Thanks for all the comments! Big love from Thailand! :beerchug:

I think you made a mistake. Both are the same?

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #174 of 1,524
xaddictionx
My mistake, thank you!
I meant IM50 and IM70 :)

I have heard both the IM50 and IM70 quite extensively on a few occasions before deciding on the IM50. Honestly both sound signatures do not differ by much. The most obvious difference has to be the colors. White/Black for IM50 and Red for IM70.

Sound wise, I preferred IM50 as to me, the vocals stands out more. It's more of a mid centric and boosted sub bass phones. The treble are heard dialed back not because they are recessed, but due the the forwardness of both mids and lows. If treble presence were slightly pushed forward, it would have been more of a all rounded sound for me. But for the price, they are really stellar.

From memory on the IM70 and against the IM50, they share more similarities than differences. A few people have reported here that they feel the bass is more emphasized on the IM50 whereas some others feedback that IM70 sports a heavier punch. So there's a slight controversy here but that really depends on your own hearing. For me, I feel that the IM70 packs a slightly heavier punch than the IM50. Vocals on the IM70, to me, are slightly masked by the bass. I could be wrong here though. Treble presence wise both sounded the same to me. The reason I choosed IM50 over IM70 is that I heard the IM50 as a much more rounded sound and clearer vocals with good punchy amount of bass. To be honest, I didn't like the red color of the IM70 too. The IM70 also cost around $50 more in my country.

Hope that helps! :)

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #175 of 1,524

I have heard both the IM50 and IM70 quite extensively on a few occasions before deciding on the IM50. Honestly both sound signatures do not differ by much. The most obvious difference has to be the colors. White/Black for IM50 and Red for IM70.

Sound wise, I preferred IM50 as to me, the vocals stands out more. It's more of a mid centric and boosted sub bass phones. The treble are heard dialed back not because they are recessed, but due the the forwardness of both mids and lows. If treble presence were slightly pushed forward, it would have been more of a all rounded sound for me. But for the price, they are really stellar.

From memory on the IM70 and against the IM50, they share more similarities than differences. A few people have reported here that they feel the bass is more emphasized on the IM50 whereas some others feedback that IM70 sports a heavier punch. So there's a slight controversy here but that really depends on your own hearing. For me, I feel that the IM70 packs a slightly heavier punch than the IM50. Vocals on the IM70, to me, are slightly masked by the bass. I could be wrong here though. Treble presence wise both sounded the same to me. The reason I choosed IM50 over IM70 is that I heard the IM50 as a much more rounded sound and clearer vocals with good punchy amount of bass. To be honest, I didn't like the red color of the IM70 too. The IM70 also cost around $50 more in my country.

Hope that helps!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks man. You really make my day! I think I'll choose IM50 over IM70 cuz' of the color and the price too.

But not before I 'A-B Test' them. I don't know if the way it lacks Impact, will it be even softer when I use Comply Tips
cuz' I usually listen to music in long periods and foam tips might be better. Anyway Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #177 of 1,524
Thanks man. You really make my day! I think I'll choose IM50 over IM70 cuz' of the color and the price too.

But not before I 'A-B Test' them. I don't know if the way it lacks Impact, will it be even softer when I use Comply Tips
cuz' I usually listen to music in long periods and foam tips might be better. Anyway Thanks! :beerchug:  

Glad that I could help! :) No worries, the IM50 will not lack any bass impact. Bass is a forte of both IM50/IM70.

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #178 of 1,524
So I finally decided to go for it. I've emailed Accessory Jack and told them to cancel my order and when that's done I'm going straight to CDJapan to get my IM50. I couldn't stand waiting and watching everyone in this thread discuss them while I'd have to wait another 3 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back