Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Mar 24, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #151 of 1,524
my ax35 just broke T.T thinking to get either the im50 or im70. can someone make a comparisson on ax35 and im50 and im70 for me ? afraid that ill be dissapointed coz i love my ax35 so much. or should i repurchase the ax35 ?

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #152 of 1,524
my ax35 just broke T.T thinking to get either the im50 or im70. can someone make a comparisson on ax35 and im50 and im70 for me ? afraid that ill be dissapointed coz i love my ax35 so much. or should i repurchase the ax35 ?
I have both the IM50s and the AX-35 so I'll post their strengths an weaknesses individually:

AX-35:
Clean sound
Crisp highs
Faster bass than IM50s
Better imaging than IM50s
More transparent stage
Deeper stage

-Can sound sterile compared to IM50s
-Less prominent sub bass(plus or minus).
-Mids take backseat
-May not sound musical enough if you're use to a lush, thick sig
-inferior isolation

IM50s
Bass is full
Sounds very fluid and buttery
Forward Mids
Non-fatiguing highs
Good stage
Easy to put on and stays in place easier

-not as detailed
-bass is not for everyone
-big housing
-not as crisp as AX-35s

I prefer the IM50s because of the music I listen to. But, technically, the Astrotec AX-35s are superior and excel in anything instrumental.

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #156 of 1,524
I have issues with audio technica iems. I have the ckm500 but I sold it. I also have the ckn50 but gave it to my in law. Now I have the IM50 and I'm having doubts if I'll keep it. All have the same issues with the fit. I have a gr07 mkii with a medium tip on it and it fits great inside the canal. I use a medium tip on all ath iems, I have also tried putting on the small size tip to the IM50, but it still gets a little hot inside my ear canal, it's irritating and annoying.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #157 of 1,524
I have issues with audio technica iems. I have the ckm500 but I sold it. I also have the ckn50 but gave it to my in law. Now I have the IM50 and I'm having doubts if I'll keep it. All have the same issues with the fit. I have a gr07 mkii with a medium tip on it and it fits great inside the canal. I use a medium tip on all ath iems, I have also tried putting on the small size tip to the IM50, but it still gets a little hot inside my ear canal, it's irritating and annoying.

I have trouble w keeping the im70 in place too. the only tips that managed to keep them in place is a triple flange. even w comply, they come loose if I talk or eat(open jaw).  However, I did find that doing something opposite of the usual helps keep them in place-usually after inserting the tips the standard practice is to turn the iem towards the back of the ear to lock them in place. but for the im70, I dothe opposite,  after insertion instead of twisting backwards I twist them forward towards the front. at least for me the comply stays in place. (but am sticking to the triple flange as they are more secure and doesn't muffle the mids like the complys do.

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #158 of 1,524

Couldn't get a good fit and seal on my IM50 too. Thus can only use them in quiet environments to enjoy it. The body should have been smaller..

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #159 of 1,524
  I have trouble w keeping the im70 in place too. the only tips that managed to keep them in place is a triple flange. even w comply, they come loose if I talk or eat(open jaw).  However, I did find that doing something opposite of the usual helps keep them in place-usually after inserting the tips the standard practice is to turn the iem towards the back of the ear to lock them in place. but for the im70, I dothe opposite,  after insertion instead of twisting backwards I twist them forward towards the front. at least for me the comply stays in place. (but am sticking to the triple flange as they are more secure and doesn't muffle the mids like the complys do.

Couldn't get a good fit and seal on my IM50 too. Thus can only use them in quiet environments to enjoy it. The body should have been smaller..

In fact, I have a good seal and isolation, the only thing that is bothering me is the comfort. Since the day I got the IM50, I only use it before going to bed. Looking at ATH IEMs compared to the GR07, ATH nozzle is much fatter (sorry for the lack of terms) than GR07 and I guess even if I use a small size tip, it won't matter or I am not sure if the tip material from ATH is much harder/stiffer than Vsonic. I might try to use some of the tips from my GR07(if it will fit) and test it later. :D

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #160 of 1,524
Does the housing protrude from your ears? I listen to music just before sleeping and I want to know if it is comfortable to lay on your side with either IM50 or IM70.

Also, does anyone know how these compare to the trusty old AD700? Thanks

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #164 of 1,524
  Guys,

I haven't had much luck finding out where I can buy these (IM50 or IM70) in the US. Amazon shows only Japan imports. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

I will ask my US Audio-Technica contact again and will post back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back