Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Jan 14, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #16 of 1,524
A few days ago, I had a listen with a IM70 at a headphone shop. 

The sound signature to me was surprisingly enjoyable, it suits my taste quite well. One of the reason is that the vocals wasn't overwhelmed by the bass or treble.

However, one thing that bugs me was that the mid-bass was causing Male singers' voice to sound unnaturally boomy. 

Anyone with a IM70 can confirm my observation on the boomy male voice?

Since IM50 is said to be less bass-boosted, perhaps owners of a IM50 can share if Male singers sounded odd or not.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #17 of 1,524
Both male and female singers don't sound odd on my IM50s.

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #18 of 1,524
I am as well waiting for a nice comparison of IM50/IM70 on different sources would be nice.

Though, here is my 2 cents - I have IM70 and I have dx50. I guess you know guys that dx50 is known as flat, basically some midbass is pretty missing on it. Now with IM70 I have a very strong bass but not boomy at all, it sounds like they've compensated each other and I have like a booster armature style of bass. An intersting effect I have here :)

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #19 of 1,524
I use the FiiO X3 and I don't experience boomy male voice but rather i found it to have a level of separation that is lower than the rest of the frequencies (the separation is not on par with the upper mids and highs). 

I'm not sure if I described it correctly but it's hard to put words to it...

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #20 of 1,524

The sound signature to me was surprisingly enjoyable, it suits my taste quite well. One of the reason is that the vocals wasn't overwhelmed by the bass or treble.

However, one thing that bugs me was that the mid-bass was causing Male singers' voice to sound unnaturally boomy. 

Since IM50 is said to be less bass-boosted, perhaps owners of a IM50 can share if Male singers sounded odd or not.

No issues with male singers using the IM70's, though you might want to give me a list so i can check properly.

I am as well waiting for a nice comparison of IM50/IM70 on different sources would be nice.

Though, here is my 2 cents - I have IM70 and I have dx50. I guess you know guys that dx50 is known as flat, basically some midbass is pretty missing on it. Now with IM70 I have a very strong bass but not boomy at all, it sounds like they've compensated each other and I have like a booster armature style of bass. An intersting effect I have here :)

Yeah, i agree. There's something about the DX50 and the IM70 combo that just makes me want to use them all day. Also, i'd like to note that the stock cable is pretty strong, since it has hold through some pretty serious usage (pretty serious pulls and sweat, though mostly using them as pro-IEM's -Yes, i know there's better options, but i'm just using them to monitor broadcasting sound, so meh-). My only complaint about the wire, it's that is a little short for me, i need a few extra cms.

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #21 of 1,524

I forgot to mention, the source I use for listening is the Sansa Clip+.

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #22 of 1,524

Checked with Michael Buble, John Mayer and Fink, plus all the metal vocalists i had, neither sounded boomy, with either my Foobar + Wasapi and my DX50. Might help if it you provide a list, though i think the Clip+ might be the problem. When i had it with rockbox it always made my M50 and my S400 sound a lot more bloated than they were...

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #23 of 1,524

Upgrade from the Sansa. The bass is not that tight or clean and is most likely the issue.  A player with cleaner, tighter bass(usually due to better output power) should clean that right up. That issue and the slight treble grain made me downgrade my Clip+ to just an exercise player and eventually sell it. Best to start at the source :) then get better out of whatever earphones you decide to buy.

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #25 of 1,524

Upgrade from the Sansa. The bass is not that tight or clean and is most likely the issue.  A player with cleaner, tighter bass(usually due to better output power) should clean that right up. That issue and the slight treble grain made me downgrade my Clip+ to just an exercise player and eventually sell it. Best to start at the source :) then get better out of whatever earphones you decide to buy.

So today i tried my IM70's with my ex (now my GF's) Clip+ with Rockbox. It does sound a lot boomier than my DX50, but it's not that much of a difference. Regarding male voices, they're a little more upfront, and sound a lot more in your face. Pianos sound a loot boomier, and even a little distorted really... there's too much bass to my liking (and i really like bass). I don't think they sound that much good with the clip as a source, you might want to try the IM50's...

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #26 of 1,524

So today i tried my IM70's with my ex (now my GF's) Clip+ with Rockbox. It does sound a lot boomier than my DX50, but it's not that much of a difference. Regarding male voices, they're a little more upfront, and sound a lot more in your face. Pianos sound a loot boomier, and even a little distorted really... there's too much bass to my liking (and i really like bass). I don't think they sound that much good with the clip as a source, you might want to try the IM50's...

Can you please tell the most noticable sonic differences between IM50 and IM70 as you have both? It seems that IM70 is very bassier to most people. I already have IM50s but I wonder if I should have bought IM70s instead.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #27 of 1,524
  Can you please tell the most noticable sonic differences between IM50 and IM70 as you have both? It seems that IM70 is very bassier to most people. I already have IM50s but I wonder if I should have bought IM70s instead.

I haven't got my IM50 yet, my guess is that it's traveling through and should be a couple of weeks before i see it yet.

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #28 of 1,524

So today i tried my IM70's with my ex (now my GF's) Clip+ with Rockbox. It does sound a lot boomier than my DX50, but it's not that much of a difference. Regarding male voices, they're a little more upfront, and sound a lot more in your face. Pianos sound a loot boomier, and even a little distorted really... there's too much bass to my liking (and i really like bass). I don't think they sound that much good with the clip as a source...

So it's really the Clip+ that is making things sound boomy.

Originally Posted by Kukyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...you might want to try the IM50's.

Yeah, I planned to do that too. It's a pity that I don't know which shop in Singapore has the IM50. Most only have the IM70 for test listening.

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #29 of 1,524
I just got my IM50s today from Stereo @ Plaza Singapura. I tested both the IM50 and the IM70, and for my listening purposes (casual listening with an iPod), I didn't see the need to spend the extra money on the IM70.
It seems like the IM50 has the same internals as the IM70 IIRC, with only the construction materials being a bit different (the 70 has some aluminium in the housing). A really good earphone that punches well above it's price bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back