AUDIO TECHNICA fanboys come in*Toronto headfiers as well*
Jun 29, 2007 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

only500made

100+ Head-Fier
So my quest for my "first cans" are still in full effect and having read a lot of reviews and having read a bunch of comments from headfiers, I'd like to ask the Audio Technica fanboys here.

I was looking into the Grado SR60s but they might not have the bass that I need and I read a lot of "my SR** hurt my ear" and I could imagine that happening to me as well. I looked on the Sennheiser 555s as well and it looks promising from reviews and comments here (albeit the hate that I see here in headfi for senns)

So here's the deal, I came across the ES7s and the ATH A500s and it looks like theyre the headphones that I'm looking for (especially the ATH A500s because some people say the bass for this cans are more defined and not muddy). Can anyone compare these 2 cans for me? How do they compare in terms of bass and clarity? How about soundstage?

I might be leaning towards the ATH A500s because of it closed design but the ES7s might also cut it for me because I have small ears (and to think I'm not even that tall neither), they might just cover my ears well enough.

Let me know.

EDIT:

I can see some A700s as well on my price range (130 and below), so if someone wants to comment on that as well

my main source: ipod 5G

PS
Toronto headfiers, IS/ARE there any AT retailers arround? I'm going to check out the grados and senns @ baybloor radio but I'm pretty sure they dont carry AT.

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 13
I live in T.O. as well, and from my personal searches I haven't been able to find any retailers which stock/demo ATs. There may be some that exist, but not that I know of. I would be interested in knowing what the AT people have to say bout AT retailers in Toronto.

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 13
Hi Guys,

Steves Music on Queen Street carries a few of the lower line AT series. It tops out at the A700.

Bay Bloor doesnt carry AT. You will only find Grado, Senn, Denon,and AKG there.
If your looking to possibly save acouple of $ on Grado I suggest you checkout
National Sound. Hes an authorized dealer,but with alot lower overhead. Sometimes if your timing is just right you stand a good chance of saving a few bucks. Located on Queen Street also.

Honestly though, Toronto is like a wasteland if your on a quest for the higher end ATs.

Good Luck.

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Honestly though, Toronto is like a wasteland if your on a quest for the higher end ATs.

EDIT: Canada is a wasteland if you're on a quest for any cans!

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 13
True.....

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 13
thanks for the suggestion. I called SM and they only have the M30s
plainface.gif
frown.gif

I guess if I decided to give in to the A500 temptation Id have to bite the bullet. The idea of not checking out the item first before buying isnt my cup of tea really.

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 13
Moog Audio has some audio technica...but they are a rip off and dont carry very much...only really the DJ style ones..that sound terrible

Jun 29, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 13
Eh, Canada is not exactly a wasteland for higher-end headphones, you just can't exactly try em out, but here in USA we have the same issue. I am under impression that if you order right (through your workplace), you can avoid all customs on headphones when importing.

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh, Canada is not exactly a wasteland for higher-end headphones, you just can't exactly try em out, but here in USA we have the same issue. I am under impression that if you order right (through your workplace), you can avoid all customs on headphones when importing.

or know how to "lie" on the customs declaration.

here in canada its as easy as 1-2-3: declare ur phones as $20 cdn in value, mark as gift and used. but yes, you are biting the bullet here really. when ur package is lost, u can only claim what you put as your item's value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back