Audio Technica ES10 or ESW10 or W1000x without an amp?
Mar 30, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by feiraron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do you guys still manage to get esw10,
i thought it's no more available...

There's still one or two left in Hong Kong, going for roughly $600.

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #17 of 43
@2rooi123, you might as well wait for the Beyer's new portable
regular_smile .gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by myc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ESW10JPN actually looks very cool, woodie. But I dont remember finding any serial number on it (it was written 1500 units only all over the world). Just if they put some Japanese character on the cup I will consider to buy haha... If you're collector then it's a must buy. Bass is there but light. Coloration is noticeable. May become fatiguing after a while.

ES10 looks very elegant. Superb shiny. Futuristic. The important thing is... bass in ES10 is soft but not slow. Try this if you're basshead. If you try EQ'ing then it will be twin subwoofer shaking your heads
smily_headphones1.gif
. May be it's colored also but in the right way for me. Very enjoyable & not fatiguing at all.

W1000x, I dont thinks it's good w/o amping. Bass is there but light also. You need to push a bit both cups to get proper bass seal. Using my laptop soundcard, even ES10 bass is enjoyable without EQ'ing. The sound coloration in W1000X very vivid. Fatiguing, if you listen to. Comfortwise, it's not as good as ATH-A1000x which is very light. You can't compare to ESW10JPN/ ES-10 as W1000X is full sized headphone.

Just got the es10's today and im dissapointed......... kidding! man it is like twin subwoofers shaking my head. By far the best portable ive heard
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1m0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey myc,
since you have heard both a1000x and es10 could you please write a little comparison between the two

Well I only test each around 10-20 minutes. Comfortwise, I think A1000x wins because it's lighter than ES-10. May be you can forget you're wearing a headphone using A1000x, eventhough it's full sized headphone.

Soundwise, A1000x is bass light, may be very nice sound for acoustic. At first, I wanted to buy A1000x but I feel the bass could be bigger. Then I tried ES-10 and the bass much better, besides it's portable so I end up buying ES-10.

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #23 of 43
im not myc but ill try to help to answer nonetheless lol
Ive never done any critical listening so YMMV,

but i can tell u that I enjoy them driven straight from my zune hd no less then im enjoying them driven from my home amp(LDMKV)...

so i believe even if there is improvement it might be in the realm where u gain so little for so much money put in..
i also would like to add that i believe my amp is very transparent so if u find an amp that change the sound signature to what u like of course u'll find it to be better amped...
such as the case where i auditioned little country III amp at a store, quite like the sound sig, mids are pushed forward more, but its just a brief impression of them..

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #24 of 43
The es10's are designed to be portable so i dont expect to use an amp. even though it will improve through amping, i wouldnt spend on an amp since it would cost way too much. im enjoying mine more and more daily

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rooi123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey myc does the es10 benefit greatly from an amp?

2rooi123, I have had my ES10 for a couple of weeks now and have been really enjoying them, if you are trying to make a decision on buying them, most definitely do so. I use my 80GB ipod 6th gen which does a good job of driving the ES10's, but amping does great job of bringing out the true quality of the phones. Before purchasing a amp do some research, because each amp has a diferent sound signature. Oh, and the ES10 require a few 100+hrs of burn in. And this review may help you also: Audio Technica ES10 | Headfonia

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rooi123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey myc does the es10 benefit greatly from an amp?

Yes, it is much better using amp. There is improvement in soundstaging, details, separation, delivers "sexy body" to the sound, smoothness. But even without amp it is already superb WOW.

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by myc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it is much better using amp. There is improvement in soundstaging, details, separation, delivers "sexy body" to the sound, smoothness. But even without amp it is already superb WOW.

good to hear we have the same impressions. Though comfort could be improved, it is simply the best portable can with the biggest bass i have ever heard. why dont you share more at the es10 appreciation thread

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rideau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2rooi123, I have had my ES10 for a couple of weeks now and have been really enjoying them, if you are trying to make a decision on buying them, most definitely do so. I use my 80GB ipod 6th gen which does a good job of driving the ES10's, but amping does great job of bringing out the true quality of the phones. Before purchasing a amp do some research, because each amp has a diferent sound signature. Oh, and the ES10 require a few 100+hrs of burn in. And this review may help you also: Audio Technica ES10 | Headfonia

wow we got lots of love for this thing right here. these are just superb i dont even think esw9 or esw10 come close overall. and the "bass impact" on these are just visceral.

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #29 of 43
I guess I'll have to see if I can borrow a pair of ESW10s again and take them with me to compare to the ES10s. Might be easier once my Pico Slim arrives.

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I'll have to see if I can borrow a pair of ESW10s again and take them with me to compare to the ES10s. Might be easier once my Pico Slim arrives.

That would be valuable. We need a sloid reference point to compare the ES10s against.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back