Audio Technica ES10 or ESW10 or W1000x without an amp?
Mar 29, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 43
Only a handful of people have heard both the ESW10 and ES10, mainly on Chinese forums.

Their conclusion seems to be that they're roughly equivalent in average sound quality, but with two different sound signatures : the ESW10 is more mid-centric, while the ES10 has a V-shaped frequency response. They also seem to drive equally well, as it should be given their specifications.

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 43
The ESW10 is on a very short list of headphones I could have as my "only headphone". They're not the best at anything, but they're amazingly good for the price when used straight from an ipod. If you don't want to mess around with an amp and just want a very good pair of headphones, it's hard to go wrong with the ESW10s. They're easily portable, easy to drive, and sound great. The W1000x I'd be more uncomfortable bringing out of the house.

I haven't seen or heard the ES10.

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 43
I should be receiving my ES10's any day now, and I should be able to give you guys some indication on what the sound quality is like.

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 43
ES-10 anyday. ESW10 (JPN?) is smaller. You need to try to test both whether they're comfortable or not.

SQ wise, ES-10 more bassy, more fun, more engaging.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ESW10 is on a very short list of headphones I could have as my "only headphone". They're not the best at anything, but they're amazingly good for the price when used straight from an ipod. If you don't want to mess around with an amp and just want a very good pair of headphones, it's hard to go wrong with the ESW10s. They're easily portable, easy to drive, and sound great. The W1000x I'd be more uncomfortable bringing out of the house.

They are amazingly good for the price? They are sold @ around $600 right?

And ESW10 is on-ear right?

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #10 of 43
ESW10JPN actually looks very cool, woodie. But I dont remember finding any serial number on it (it was written 1500 units only all over the world). Just if they put some Japanese character on the cup I will consider to buy haha... If you're collector then it's a must buy. Bass is there but light. Coloration is noticeable. May become fatiguing after a while.

ES10 looks very elegant. Superb shiny. Futuristic. The important thing is... bass in ES10 is soft but not slow. Try this if you're basshead. If you try EQ'ing then it will be twin subwoofer shaking your heads
smily_headphones1.gif
. May be it's colored also but in the right way for me. Very enjoyable & not fatiguing at all.

W1000x, I dont thinks it's good w/o amping. Bass is there but light also. You need to push a bit both cups to get proper bass seal. Using my laptop soundcard, even ES10 bass is enjoyable without EQ'ing. The sound coloration in W1000X very vivid. Fatiguing, if you listen to. Comfortwise, it's not as good as ATH-A1000x which is very light. You can't compare to ESW10JPN/ ES-10 as W1000X is full sized headphone.

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by myc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W1000x, I dont thinks it's good w/o amping. Bass is there but light also. You need to push a bit both cups to get proper bass seal. Using my laptop soundcard, even ES10 bass is enjoyable without EQ'ing. The sound coloration in W1000X very vivid. Fatiguing, if you listen to. Comfortwise, it's not as good as ATH-A1000x which is very light. You can't compare to ESW10JPN/ ES-10 as W1000X is full sized headphone.

Hmm, with what amp was ATH-W1000X fatiguing? To me, it´s extremely enjoyable and smooth compared to pretty much all other audio equipment I have. At first it was maybe a tad bright, but really gotten awesome after a while.

About the seal... I have a good complete seal with them in my opinion, but because they´re light clamping (and comfy because of that), the seal obviously isn´t that strong and will improve by pushing the cups against your head. Then, this probably applies to many headphones, so I don´t find this as a flaw. Also, I really don´t find myself wanting for more bass. Well, these are all just opinions. =)

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thanks for the advice. should be getting esw10 or es10 soon. but i still think es10 are the better all arounders due to the 53mm

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by myc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ESW10JPN actually looks very cool, woodie. But I dont remember finding any serial number on it (it was written 1500 units only all over the world). Just if they put some Japanese character on the cup I will consider to buy haha... If you're collector then it's a must buy. Bass is there but light. Coloration is noticeable. May become fatiguing after a while.

ES10 looks very elegant. Superb shiny. Futuristic. The important thing is... bass in ES10 is soft but not slow. Try this if you're basshead. If you try EQ'ing then it will be twin subwoofer shaking your heads
smily_headphones1.gif
. May be it's colored also but in the right way for me. Very enjoyable & not fatiguing at all.

Which is more comfortable, es10 or esw10?

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, with what amp was ATH-W1000X fatiguing? To me, it´s extremely enjoyable and smooth compared to pretty much all other audio equipment I have. At first it was maybe a tad bright, but really gotten awesome after a while.

About the seal... I have a good complete seal with them in my opinion, but because they´re light clamping (and comfy because of that), the seal obviously isn´t that strong and will improve by pushing the cups against your head. Then, this probably applies to many headphones, so I don´t find this as a flaw. Also, I really don´t find myself wanting for more bass. Well, these are all just opinions. =)

Well if you managed to adapt with that bright sound of W1000X, it's okay, that's normal. If you fell it's enough bass also then it's ok, just a matter of preference. There are some headphones that you feel no need to pushing cups... such as M50 (enough bass) or may be HD800 (transparent clear bass note)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rooi123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is more comfortable, es10 or esw10?

It depends on your ear shape. For me ES-10 just eat my ears. That's why it's very comfortable for me. It's just about the right size.

I have a small ears but even ESW10JPN can't eat it. It's driver about 40 mm, compared to ES-10 which has bigger housing, 53 mm. In my mind, ES-10 is masculine & ESW10JPN feminine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back