Audio Technica ES-10 question
Oct 28, 2010 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Shaggy-FOO

Head-Fier
I've been researching a lot for my eventual purchase of portable headphones and was wondering if people can give me impressions of the ath es-10.  I'm using IEM right now, MTPC & UE TF10) but my ears get fatigued a bit after extended listening (especially with the sparkly treble of the triple.fi) hence my decision to get a nice pair of portable headphones. 

How do these compare to the ATH-M50 or the Phiaton MS-400?  I have the m50 & like how they sound except I feel the bass is a bit slow and veils the mids and vocals along with a slightly recessed high.  I've listened to the esw-9 and I thought they were very mellow and laid back, but lacked the sparkle and clarity in the trebles. I guess i'm looking for a slightly more analytical esw-9 but still fun to listen to.

Any input would be appreciated.  How does it compare to the Beyer T50-P?

Oct 29, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 13
It seems that not many people have the ES-10's here. I do have them but I can't help you in that I haven't heard any of the rest that you've wanted to compare to.

I will tell you that it has a different sound signature from that of the ESW9, whose actual big brother is the ESW10JPN. The ES10's are less laid back, sometimes aggressive in presentation, and is far from neutral. I've had the TF10's before and the ES10's are similar in certain aspects, but it's definitely not fatiguing, at least for me. They do have the sparkle you're looking for in the trebles, but I'm not sure if they'll tire you out. If my memory serves me well, TF10's trebles can be quite harsh at times, but not the ES10's.

The ES10's are to me, very enjoyable, though you have to tolerate the not so good isolation if you're planning to use this constantly on the go. The sense of space that the ES10's give are simply amazing, almost wider than the widest of IEM's I've heard, though that isn't a lot. (I haven't received my JH16's so I can't compare) If you're a basshead, the ES10's have very, very powerful, high quality bass, albeit slightly uncontrolled. They extend very low and are incredibly detailed to the point where you can hear the actions of a piano quite clearly. You've heard the ESW9, and the ES10's are faster. The ES10's are incredibly energetic and will give you the fun sound you're looking for. 

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #5 of 13
I had the ATH-M50's but my girlfriend broke them:frowning2:

I have the ES10's as well. The phones don't really compare. They are apples and oranges. The M50's are a studio monitor and for that I love them. Fairly isolating, good bass response, and I like them much better than the Sony MDR-V6's and all their iterations.

The ES10's are an audiophile quality full size headphone masquerading as a portable. I use them for my everyday travel and although they're not extremely isolating turned up loud they do the trick:)

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 13
There's no comparison. M50's are a $125 and ES10's are approximately $550. Both have deep bass extension but the 10's are far cleaner. The 50's are as you aptly described a bit "sloppy". The mids and hi's in the ES10's are that signature AT sound that I particularly like. My only complaint is occasionally on poorly recorded or mastered rock they will sound a little "congested". That aside these are my favorite portable headphones and I have given my son my recabled ESW-9's. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
I will tell you that it has a different sound signature from that of the ESW9, whose actual big brother is the ESW10JPN. The ES10's are less laid back, sometimes aggressive in presentation, and is far from neutral. I've had the TF10's before and the ES10's are similar in certain aspects, but it's definitely not fatiguing, at least for me. They do have the sparkle you're looking for in the trebles, but I'm not sure if they'll tire you out. If my memory serves me well, TF10's trebles can be quite harsh at times, but not the ES10's.

Quote:
Does ES10 work well with iphone 3gs w/o an amp? I've been looking for "neutral" portable cans for a while. Your suggestions are appreciated.

the AT ES series (ESW9, esw10, es10) don't require amp to sound good as they are very easy to drive. though amps can help if you want to tweak the SQ, depending on the amp you pair it with
However, just want to point out if you are looking for "neutral" cans, then ES10's are definitely not that. 

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #12 of 13
I just got the ATH-ES10 today.  I'm first impressions are that they sound very good and balanced.  A mix between the TF10 and MTPC.  I'll put up a review and pictures once I listen to them more, but I'm very excited so far!

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #13 of 13
I have owned the ES10's for a couple of months now and they have had at least 500 hours on them. In terms of sound quality, they have a smallish sound stage, probably due to their closed design. In terms of sound quality, I feel that they are in a different league from the likes of the ESW9 and even the ESW10. Treble and midrange on these cans are good, comparable in quality to the ESW9 and 10. Pretty smooth and relaxed for a portable headphone, but nothing to really be WOWed at especially if you compare them to the full size offerings of headphones such as the the big Sennheiser's HD600/650/800, but then again those are of a very different design and are an open design which I feel affects the sound characteristics. 

The ES10 is very much about BASS. I love the bass on the ES10. In terms of absolute quantity of bass this headphone is a monster. It strikes very deep and hard but does lack control when used unamped, out of weaker sources such as the ipod and iphone. The bass presentation of these headphones, portray bass in distinct layers, and you can hear details in bass frequencies all the way till it is not heard but felt resonating inside your head. This headphone I feel has as much if not more bass quantity and reaches deeper than headphones such as the Sony XB700 ( the next uber bass monster) but while the Sony, lacks the midrange clarity and top end extension, the ES10's bass does not intrude into the midrange. And also has a pretty good treble extension. 

All in all I feel that the ES10, is a great headphone to have is you love bass. If you mainly listen to electronic, industrial, dub, hip hop or other bass heavy music which is digitally mixed, this will be the "high end" portable headphone to have. There are many other higher end headphones that can make other types of music sound a lot better, but if your listening is mainly of the type I listed this headphone is very hard to beat. It is a headphone that is pretty niche and I know many an audiophile who will never even bat and eyelid at it, and comment about how colored a sound signature it has, or even how un-natural it sounds. This is not a headphone for eyes closed relaxed listening on the couch this is more a headphone for 500 bpm DOOMPH! psyching up for a long day at work on the the metro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back