Audio Technica CKS70 Appreciation and Impression Thread
Jan 15, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #151 of 176
Yes, I've started doing this after getting the RE252, and I've realised that every earphone can in fact be worn over the ear. However, the trick is not to pull too much cable, otherwise the loop will just fall around your ears back into the normal position. Maybe I have ideal ears, but they normally don't do that as long as there is a bit of weight pulling them back.

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #152 of 176
...and a chin slider would be great too. Does anyone know of one you can buy separately? If not, perhaps I could get in touch with a factory and get a mold made or something. That could be a cool business.

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #153 of 176
Maybe just get plastic surgery to make your head the perfect shape for IEM's. Kinda like a reverse custom reshelling. This way you can solve future troubles as well.

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #154 of 176
An update on your mod. I had sold my CSK70s to a fellow HFer, but he didn't care for them that much (the modded ones), and when I got them back, I accidentally ripped off the filter on one (the RE252 filter), and could not get it to stay on. So to balance out the sound, I took off the other one. Then, I listened and decided it was too much mids/treble and the bass seemed a little lost.

So I did a reverse mod from some of the Sony EX90/85 threads, and found an old Ksc75 pad and tore off a little foam and rammed it into the CKS70 sound tube. A little a first, tested the sound, and added a little more. Now, they sound very good in my view, better than stock (much less veiled mids and highs, they sound dare I say crisp, and more extension), and I think I have them where i want them. Was going to give them away, but actually prefer them over the S4s now. So I am giving away the latter to a good friend whose CX-95 just broke.

Anyway, just something to ponder/try, a_recording.

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #155 of 176
Haha what incredible luck, because I actually have old KSC75 pads lying around! I've actually thought of putting foam in the tubes, but been a bit skeptical - every single time I've encountered foam in earphones like the RE252 or RE0, I found that the foam blocked highs and prevented sibilance rather than extending them.

I have been curious to try it though, since I think sibilance is actually one of the 70's issues when you try to EQ it too much. Yay, something to do this morning
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #157 of 176
Actually, I'm going to wait until I've finished my CK90Pro review - otherwise comparisons to the 70 are going to be unhelpful... and I'm running out of RE252 filters in case I want to change back
frown.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #158 of 176
The good news: they perform as advertised. The bass is solid, and reaches deep.

The bad news: The bass is their only good trait. EVERYTHING else is deeply recessed--nasty unmusical. I'm listening to them now applying a treble boost starting at 250 hz! The upper bass is recessed? Why? Who wants music to sound like this?

After having tamed them to non-unpleasantness, average across the board, NE-6s with bonus bass extension, but MUCH less clarity.

Novelty runners at best. No way could I tolerate these as listening phones.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #160 of 176
How many hours have you listened to them and have you done any burnin yet? I found they needed 1 night of burnin to start them to be listenable and then they need another 80-90hrs of burnin to slowly improve the midrange and open up the treble a bit more. After that I do think they still need EQing to bring out more treble. There is also discussion on modding the filter to increase the treble which I personally have not done but have heard good things about.

Having said all that, looking at your current collection of IEM's now that I have a pair of IE8 to compare the CKS70 to I can't see why you would use the CKS70 when you could use your IE8.

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #161 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and a chin slider would be great too. Does anyone know of one you can buy separately? If not, perhaps I could get in touch with a factory and get a mold made or something. That could be a cool business.

I used a piece of shrink wrap large enough to just fit over the 3.5mm jack and a shirt clip. Slip on the shrink wrap, apply some heat to reduce it's diameter about 50% and then slide in the clip. Works great to shorten the length of the cables from the Y join and to clip to my collar to reduce microphonics.

cimg4965.jpg

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #162 of 176
Alright, I bought Tom's modded pair (no filters + foam in one of the ears), and I'm really really happy with them. I didn't think I was wearing IEMs when I heard the soundspace of these.

I'm using ADDIEM filters, which seem to fit great. I thought they were muffling the sound at first, but it was the tips that needed adjusting. Once I got the right fit for my asymmetric ear canals, they sounded great with ADDIEM filters (tames the bass a little, though, compared to no filters).

Also, the build quality cannot be overstated on these. This is a major selling point for me. I'd recommend these to any jazz fan, provided they're fine with not wearing them over the ear. I tried a_recording's tip, but it feels too silly, at least while I'm at my desk. If I take them biking, I might try it out.

Anyways, thanks to all of you who left impressions (and to dweaver for starting the thread). It really helped convince me to get these, and I'm not disappointed
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #163 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by tadad1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used a piece of shrink wrap large enough to just fit over the 3.5mm jack and a shirt clip. Slip on the shrink wrap, apply some heat to reduce it's diameter about 50% and then slide in the clip. Works great to shorten the length of the cables from the Y join and to clip to my collar to reduce microphonics.

cimg4965.jpg

Thanks so much for your step-by-step on this. Looks really promising....

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #164 of 176
I'm glad others are getting enjoyment out of these, I know my wife was glad she got to keep them. They are a nice IEM and certainly are a not bad IE8 alternative for the person on a budget. I know there are a couple of other IEM's that are nicer than these, the challenge is finding them easily. These on the other hand are readily available and very nice. Now having the IE8 to compare them to they definitely have a similar soundstage which is amazing considering the difference in the cost.

I won't lie, now that I have the IE8 I'm VERY HAPPY but I still think these are not bad and enjoy their sound.

BTW I do find the Beta Brainwavz to have slightly different but engaging sound stage as well and they are a brighter sounding IEM versus the bassy sound of the CKS70 for those wanting that type of sound. Their only issue is lack of good tips despite the large selection they send, having said that I see MP4 Nation has been paying attention to the reviews as they are staing on their site that they now include extra foam tips which are the ones that work best (orange ones that it). But for their $24-30 price tag they are not bad (just burn them in for a week before using them as they REALLY need the burnin).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back