Audio Technica CKS70 Appreciation and Impression Thread
Dec 29, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #121 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im interessted to hear a shure ss530 pth vs triplefi 10vi review, i needed a mic so i considered se530, i read it has more bass than triple fi maybe but im not sure about that,, i felt the triplefi had way more punch and rich full sound than the ie8, unless i gott two epperate pairs of fake ie8's, i think they suck and i hated them.

I don't have the triple fi's, but I do have the SE530 PTH, and the mic cable. The PTH is a part I should have saved myself $50+ on... The mic cable is awesome though. It's great for hands free calling through your car aux input. It makes me wish all manufactures that don't make phones with a built in mic came with a very short cable and a straight plug so they can work with it.

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #122 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my ears they do. I swear things sound thin and nasally in the mids with the TF10's, like they're coming through a straw. Not good. By comparison, the bass up through the mids sounds more like a nice, open breathing floor stand speaker with the CKS70's. Perhaps I just prefer the big, natural sound that dynamics deliver, I dunno.

I'll keep the Trips for a while, and maybe experiment with a Null Audio cable, or possibly even get them re-shelled, considering I got in on that killer sale.

I didn't like the TF10 sound until I tried UE bi-flange tips, which changed my perception. Before they sounded OK with some songs, not all that great with others, and the bass wasn't all that great. Now, a much better sound for me. Their presentation is very different than the CKS70 and IE8 though.

So, I tried the CKS70 again with all the tips I had that fit, and the tips in both positions. I definitely think the tips mounted deeper on the nozzle sound better for me. But I am selling them as they are too redundant, yet a lower quality than my IE8.

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #123 of 176
average_joe-
Do you mean just the double flange tips that were included? I'll give them a try, even though usually the longer the tip, the less they seem to work for me. Keeping my fingers crossed.....

Dec 29, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #124 of 176
I don't even know if they were the included tips as I have a bad habit of putting the box away without trying the included tips. But I would guess they would be the same as the ones I picked up from SoundEarphones.

Oh, and I am willing to trade my CKS70 for a C710
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #125 of 176
Quote:

I also remember being much more satisfied by the bass, especially for a BA driver IEM. Of course that was before I'd owned the IE8, FX500, Denon C710, and now the CKS70.

cn11, what did you think of the JVC FX500 in comparison to the CKS70?

Dec 31, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #126 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i also prefer the c710 and fx500 toi the ie8

How would you describe the fx500?

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #127 of 176
For my ears and on my walkman the FX500 are a much better sounding phone although with my ipod they become painfully bright.

while the CKS70 represent great value for the 5000 Yen I paid for them, their microphonics and poor isolation make them a non-starter for me for outside use. Where they beat out the FX500 IMO is in comfort, soundstage and less tangle-prone cable.

Having said that though, I prefer the CKS70 for listening to movies which is why they are a keeper for me and will probably flog the Victors to help defer the cost of my next purchase.

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #128 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by vlach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

cn11, what did you think of the JVC FX500 in comparison to the CKS70?

Just as the other poster states, much brighter than the CKS70 (which is what caused me to decide on selling them). They obviously have greater treble extension, but for me at least it comes at the cost of listening fatigue after a while. For some reason I seem especially averse to treble harshness these days, so I'll pick a bassy phone over a highly detailed phone every chance I get.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #129 of 176
Quote:

Just as the other poster states, much brighter than the CKS70 (which is what caused me to decide on selling them). They obviously have greater treble extension, but for me at least it comes at the cost of listening fatigue after a while. For some reason I seem especially averse to treble harshness these days, so I'll pick a bassy phone over a highly detailed phone every chance I get.

Funny but this is what I am finding as well. I want more treble in the CKS70 but if I use the EQ to boost it even a bit I start to get bothered by fatigue. It will be very interesting when I get the TF10. If I don't like them I am thinking of trying the Cyclone PR2 as I like the idea of less isolation which would work great at work and if they happoen to be a bit better detailed in the highs but not to much they might be a nice small improvement.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #130 of 176
I am still burning in my PR2, but here is a quick overview of some of my IEMs presentation:
CKS70, IE8, and WM2 have a wide, laid back presentation. The IE8 and CKS70 are very close in seating position, whereas the WM2 is a little closer. But that is the gold version, as I have not had the silver version in my ears in a while, and they are a little more laid back.
TF10 and PR2 have more of a forward, closer presentation. Not that it is really close and mid-forward like the Cresyn C750E, but closer in the audience than the 3 above. They can have good soundstage width for some instruments when recorded that way though.

At least that is how my ears are hearing it!

Dec 31, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #131 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny but this is what I am finding as well. I want more treble in the CKS70 but if I use the EQ to boost it even a bit I start to get bothered by fatigue. It will be very interesting when I get the TF10. If I don't like them I am thinking of trying the Cyclone PR2 as I like the idea of less isolation which would work great at work and if they happoen to be a bit better detailed in the highs but not to much they might be a nice small improvement.

I'm finding the same thing too. I haven't mentioned it yet because I've been listening to the AT's trying to determine how big of a problem (to me) the slight harshness that I'm hearing is. It only really shows itself at louder volumes, and it's nowhere near as bad as the FX500 and C710. They're definitely turning out to not be as smooth as the IE8's though, that's for sure. I wonder if this has changed with burn in because I don't remember thinking this way about them when they were fresh out of the box.

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #132 of 176
Quote:

I'm finding the same thing too. I haven't mentioned it yet because I've been listening to the AT's trying to determine how big of a problem (to me) the slight harshness that I'm hearing is. It only really shows itself at louder volumes, and it's nowhere near as bad as the FX500 and C710. They're definitely turning out to not be as smooth as the IE8's though, that's for sure. I wonder if this has changed with burn in because I don't remember thinking this way about them when they were fresh out of the box.

I'm experiencing the same thing. Essentially too much EQing on the mids and the highs give them a grainy, harsh kind of sound that is really quite fatiguing. I'm pretty sure they were like that out of the box, but I didn't really go about EQing until quite a long while after burning in. I guess you learn to live with the recessed mids and highs, which are still clean if you don't push the EQ.

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #133 of 176
First, I think the IE8's are the smoothest IEM I have heard in the treble and mids. But I do think the CKS70 may have the treble open up and extend a little with time, so that might be causing the slight harshness. But for the price, what do you expect? Mine are boxed for trade/sale, so no revisiting them!

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #134 of 176
Thanks for everyone's advice. The overall consencus appears to be in favour of the IE8.

Jan 1, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #135 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by vlach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for everyone's advice. The overall consencus appears to be in favour of the IE8.

It depends on how much you want to spend and how much you like your treble! The CKS70 is the poor man's IE8!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back