Audio-Technica ATHM50S, are they a good first can?
Nov 23, 2011 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jiff

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting some as I've heard their very good for the price.  These will be my first ever good set of cans right now I have Etymotic HF5 IEM's.  So I really want to know if these will be worth getting and I to have a little FiiO E6 amp if that will help and my player is a Cowon i10.  I don't want to spend more than $150 so any suggestions of other cans in that price range is welcome.

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 18

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting some as I've heard their very good for the price.  These will be my first ever good set of cans right now I have Etymotic HF5 IEM's.  So I really want to know if these will be worth getting and I to have a little FiiO E6 amp if that will help and my player is a Cowon i10.  I don't want to spend more than $150 so any suggestions of other cans in that price range is welcome.

Maybe. Maybe not.

What do you listen to? What kind of sound do you like? Like small sound stages, harsh highs, slightly recessed mids, and big bass? Only want closed headphones? Care to have opens?

Interested in alternatives?

Shure SRH840
Beyer DT770 PRO
Ultrasone HFI 580
Fischer Audio FA-003

Very best,

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 18
If I had started with the M50s, I would've been perfectly happy with them. I didn't. I got them down the line and I love them. Even after getting my HD600s, they still see regular usage. They're just that good. I don't think the E6 will be necessary with your player as the M50s don't really need to be amped to shine.

Just my two cents. For $150, you can do far worse than the M50s.

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 18
The only kind of music I listen to is edm like techno, house, trance and their subgenres.  

As far as sound I really like the way my Ety's sound,  their very clear and for me the bass is good but a little more can't hurt though I'm not a bass head.  For me I'd say the mids are most important but I still need good highs and lows because edm has many different sounds and frequencies to the music.

I was really wanting some closed cans but I'm not dead set on that so some good open cans I would checkout.

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 18
Man I just checkout those Shure SRH840 and they looked very nice and the price was perfect for me

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
Man I just checkout those Shure SRH840 and they looked very nice and the price was perfect for me

Agree about the SRH840 - great headphone, but so are the M50s. I think I would choose the M50s for what you're after. To me they're a touch more robust (no little external cable running to each driver) and the sound is probably a bit punchier for the electro-type music styles you mentioned. The SRH840s are a touch smoother though so depends on your overall sound tastes.

Can't comment on the Panasonics mentioned, but have heard others say good things.

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 18
Do you care if the headphones are harsh and hurt your ears? If so avoid the ath m50 and get the shure srh840. I own both and the srh840 is very smooth while the ath m50 is very harsh. For the money the shure srh840 is a much better headphone.

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #9 of 18
Thanks for the replies, I think I'm going to go with the srh840's but I'm still going to checkout some others.

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
Do you care if the headphones are harsh and hurt your ears? If so avoid the ath m50 and get the shure srh840. I own both and the srh840 is very smooth while the ath m50 is very harsh. For the money the shure srh840 is a much better headphone.

Wow. I'm amazed to hear that. I only auditioned both for a short time, but wouldn't have expected the M50s to be harsh. I'll have to go check them out again.

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #11 of 18
I personally would choose the HD25-1 II over the SRH840 and M50. Much more musical and accessible than the 840 and M50. They're less bulky and more portable too. I love mine, even compared to my more expensive headphones. I can imagine some people not needing a different headphone than the HD25-1 II for the rest of their lives. 

EDIT: for the record, I've owned all of them. I can't stand people recommending gear they've never heard. Reading reviews doesn't make you experienced. :)

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Wow. I'm amazed to hear that. I only auditioned both for a short time, but wouldn't have expected the M50s to be harsh. I'll have to go check them out again.

IMO they aren't. The problem is how subjective this is, bright and detailed for someone can be harsh for someone else. Overall I really like mine :p but it can sound a little funky occasionally with high hats.

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #13 of 18
I had the 840s (and 940s as well) and prefer the M50s that I have now. Better balanced sound with more energy and clarity.

CAVEAT: I listen at very low volume and to completely different kinds of music and have done the coax mod. The M50 is anything but "harsh" and doesn't "hurt my ears," but add 15 or 20 dB (which I would never do) and sure the 840 might be a little better then, with its more boring, lazy, rolled off sound.

The HD25-1 II does intrigue me though, with the velour pad swaps. It's probably the only other closed general-purpose can I might try.

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #14 of 18

Harsh? The M50s are a bit peaky in the treble region but I wouldn't call them harsh. I'm pretty sensitive to harsh treble but I don't feel the need to EQ down the treble at all.

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #15 of 18
After doing some more research I went and got the Panasonic HTF600.  They were a whole $30 and from what I read many thought they sounded as good as some $100 pairs so I took a chance.  If they don't work out at least it wont brake the bank and I can give the to my nephew for Xmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back