Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Sep 9, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #2,597 of 2,669
I got these headphones and like them a lot for gaming but some of my music tracks don’t sound the best. I’m guessing possibly it’s due to bad mixing? Like for example listening to a new song with Olivia Rodrigo “vampire” around the 2:04-2:16 mark I hear some audio static in certain parts and when she hits her high e it almost sounds tinny or brassy, when I’m cheap IEM’s seem to handle the highs much better and sound more natural during this part. Anyone wanna take a listen and let me know your thoughts?

Sep 9, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #2,598 of 2,669
I got these headphones and like them a lot for gaming but some of my music tracks don’t sound the best. I’m guessing possibly it’s due to bad mixing? Like for example listening to a new song with Olivia Rodrigo “vampire” around the 2:04-2:16 mark I hear some audio static in certain parts and when she hits her high e it almost sounds tinny or brassy, when I’m cheap IEM’s seem to handle the highs much better and sound more natural during this part. Anyone wanna take a listen and let me know your thoughts?
Was listening to the lossless version of Vampire on deezer and gnerally her genral vocal weight in the area is quite thin. Athough there isnt any static, can you link to the source you are using?

Sep 9, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #2,599 of 2,669
Was listening to the lossless version of Vampire on deezer and gnerally her genral vocal weight in the area is quite thin. Athough there isnt any static, can you link to the source you are using?
I’m on Tidal on max setting. Topping E30ii and L30ii stack. It is very faint and only pops in on a couple of the lyrics between those settings and mostly in the higher pitch areas. Maybe I’m just sensitive to it, I notice I either really like female vocals on these cans or hate them. For whatever reason my Truthear x Crinacle ZERO blues seem to handle female vocals better without fuzzing of brassy sounds coming in here and there. Not sure if it’s just these cans exposing flaws or something is wrong with them. Both run off the same setup. FR is very different in both though.

Sep 9, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #2,600 of 2,669
I’m on Tidal on max setting. Topping E30ii and L30ii stack. It is very faint and only pops in on a couple of the lyrics between those settings and mostly in the higher pitch areas. Maybe I’m just sensitive to it, I notice I either really like female vocals on these cans or hate them. For whatever reason my Truthear x Crinacle ZERO blues seem to handle female vocals better without fuzzing of brassy sounds coming in here and there. Not sure if it’s just these cans exposing flaws or something is wrong with them. Both run off the same setup. FR is very different in both though.
Ah tidal, I dont think there is a issue then since at lest to my ears tidal tends to compress stuff. Supposedly its a web player/app issue and if you are willing to fork out for roon it can bypass the crappy player.

Oh yeah just in case you havent tried yet reduce the tidal volume to 80% and then crank the L30II to get the same volume, might be that the E30II is receving way too much voltage and clipping.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #2,601 of 2,669
Ah tidal, I dont think there is a issue then since at lest to my ears tidal tends to compress stuff. Supposedly its a web player/app issue and if you are willing to fork out for roon it can bypass the crappy player.

Oh yeah just in case you havent tried yet reduce the tidal volume to 80% and then crank the L30II to get the same volume, might be that the E30II is receving way too much voltage and clipping.
I’ll give that a shot tomorrow. For whatever reason the album was just pulled off Tidal? I thought Tidals max was lossless. Also this is the first I’m hearing of lowering the source volume, I have been under the understanding that you keep it at max and adjust at the amp. Figured the amp and DAC would match well as they were built with each other in mind. Also tried it on YouTube and it is noticeable on there as well, but that is probably to be expected.

Sep 9, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #2,602 of 2,669
I’ll give that a shot tomorrow. For whatever reason the album was just pulled off Tidal? I thought Tidals max was lossless. Also this is the first I’m hearing of lowering the source volume, I have been under the understanding that you keep it at max and adjust at the amp. Figured the amp and DAC would match well as they were built with each other in mind. Also tried it on YouTube and it is noticeable on there as well, but that is probably to be expected.
It could possibly also be a synergy issue with the amp and/or dac. Do you have any other amps or dacs you can try the headphone out on?

Sep 9, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #2,603 of 2,669
It could possibly also be a synergy issue with the amp and/or dac. Do you have any other amps or dacs you can try the headphone out on?
No different DAC I forgot I have a JDS Labs Atom amp+ in my closet (is for sale btw and brand new), an apple dongle, and my PC headphone port. I can give them a try tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #2,605 of 2,669

Another possibility is the etch at 4 kHz that exists on these headphones, a quirk of the design.

Sep 11, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #2,606 of 2,669
Another possibility is the etch at 4 kHz that exists on these headphones, a quirk of the design.
Not really sure exactly what that means. I put them in mono though and heard it on both ear cups. So I’m guessing it’s probably just in the track and I’m sensitive to it. It is very faint. In the beginning you hear it a lot cause it is just the vocals. These headphones just pick up a lot of details I am probably not used to hearing and it messes with me. Probably a great thing for a mixer.

Sep 15, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #2,607 of 2,669
In case anybody is choosing between HD600 and R70x. Found that the HD600 grilles have been rusting while the R70x grilles have no rust.

Also the spring mechanism on R70x has held up over the 2 or so years. Tension is like the day I first bought it. Brainwavz velour pads have also lasted fine

Sep 23, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #2,609 of 2,669
In case anybody is choosing between HD600 and R70x. Found that the HD600 grilles have been rusting while the R70x grilles have no rust.

Also the spring mechanism on R70x has held up over the 2 or so years. Tension is like the day I first bought it. Brainwavz velour pads have also lasted fine
Similar situation here. I owned the R70x a while ago and I still miss them. I'm hoping that they go on sale during Amazon's October Prime Days.

Oct 6, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #2,610 of 2,669
These are impressing me so far. I owned the HD 650 when I joined this forum and wanted an upgrade in modern times but everything I'd tried up until these disappointed me (planars, modern beyers etc). Awesome tonality, excellent mid presense and holographic soundstage is what seems to stick out to me most. The weight is also perfect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back