Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Jul 10, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #2,581 of 2,669
If I was to keep them, I would order a Hart modular cable which might improve the detail. Or not. I like the sound, but it is not in the category of high-end Grado's, Focal's or HiFiman's. I am sure the high end model Audio Technica's are much better and more detailed.

For the price (and comfort) involved, these are just fine. If I keep them and order a Hart cable I will comment on any differences on here. I have never needed any 2.5mm cables that I can recall in over 40 sets of headphones.
Makes sense, they were never in the same level as my T1.3, DT 480, or my RR1 Conquest in terms of technicalities. I do love their comfort and their tuning, but they seem to hit a wall and I'm not sure if they will push past that for me. They good, but aren't the best headphone I've tried in the $300~ range, to my ears that was the Amiron Home. Honestly after trying the HD 660S and HD 650 compared to the R70x more and on more systems, I think I like the HD 660S the most of those three. Something about the HD 660S with nice synergy is just special to me, but without the right synergy it's boring and a tad too dry. Do wish the Senns had the bass extension of the R70x though, the 660S2 did though and will definitely revisit them in the future.

The Nighthawks/Owls had 2.5mm cables and the HD 700 did as well I think, but those aren't compatible with the R70x's which have a unique wiring and locking mechanism on the plug. The cable is one of the biggest drawbacks to the R70x, not just due to it potentially holding it back a fair amount but also due to it's proprietary design.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #2,582 of 2,669
If I was to keep them, I would order a Hart modular cable which might improve the detail. Or not. I like the sound, but it is not in the category of high-end Grado's, Focal's or HiFiman's. I am sure the high end model Audio Technica's are much better and more detailed.

For the price (and comfort) involved, these are just fine. If I keep them and order a Hart cable I will comment on any differences on here. I have never needed any 2.5mm cables that I can recall in over 40 sets of headphones.
I would suggest an all silver cable. Copper warms up the sound of R70x’s even more robing you of details. A silver cable gets you back some of the technicalities you’re not hearing from these.

Jul 10, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #2,583 of 2,669
Makes sense, they were never in the same level as my T1.3, DT 480, or my RR1 Conquest in terms of technicalities. I do love their comfort and their tuning, but they seem to hit a wall and I'm not sure if they will push past that for me. They good, but aren't the best headphone I've tried in the $300~ range, to my ears that was the Amiron Home. Honestly after trying the HD 660S and HD 650 compared to the R70x more and on more systems, I think I like the HD 660S the most of those three. Something about the HD 660S with nice synergy is just special to me, but without the right synergy it's boring and a tad too dry. Do wish the Senns had the bass extension of the R70x though, the 660S2 did though and will definitely revisit them in the future.

The Nighthawks/Owls had 2.5mm cables and the HD 700 did as well I think, but those aren't compatible with the R70x's which have a unique wiring and locking mechanism on the plug. The cable is one of the biggest drawbacks to the R70x, not just due to it potentially holding it back a fair amount but also due to it's proprietary design.
They are definitely not in the same category as the HD660S2's, which I enjoy more every time I dig them out. I went through lots of Senn's and was not overly impressed with any of them. Until now.

Yeah that cable will definitely cost lots, probably more than I am willing to spend on them. For me their charm is Comfort, price and the sound is good.

It will be Very interesting to put them back on in several weeks and see how I feel about them then.

I am building a pretty good mid-fi collection and have some planars coming this weekend. But these might just keep hangin' around. :smile:

Jul 10, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #2,584 of 2,669
Thanks!

Bad sounding:
1 - On this one the trumpet is way too shouty i need to turn the volume way down:

There is no trumpet in this track. Phil Woods plays alto sax, and it's upfront all the way through the album, backed by piano-bass-drums. On my ATH-R70X, it sounds good -- pushed up in the mix because he's the bandleader -- and gives you a very detailed saxophone sound: You can hear every breath.

Also, on Nobody by Q Funktion: That's not a piano, it's a vibraphone or xylophone (or sample) which is why it sounds "sharp."

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #2,585 of 2,669
There is no trumpet in this track. Phil Woods plays alto sax, and it's upfront all the way through the album, backed by piano-bass-drums. On my ATH-R70X, it sounds good -- pushed up in the mix because he's the bandleader -- and gives you a very detailed saxophone sound: You can hear every breath.
on my HD560s it sounds too shouty i have to lower the volume to bear it and if i do that then all the other sounds become harder to hear

Jul 12, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #2,586 of 2,669

The HD660S was my favourite Senn, but I got bored after a while, as with all the previous ones.
But, so far, the S2's are growing on me more with every use.

Jul 12, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #2,587 of 2,669
The HD660S was my favourite Senn, but I got bored after a while, as with all the previous ones.
But, so far, the S2's are growing on me more with every use.
Honestly I could tell I liked the S2 more than the S1, problem with my S2 was a slight channel imbalance (which hurt it's imaging and soundstage and I had the slight feeling something was wrong) and bass fatigue (likely due to bad synergy). I'll revisit them once I upgrade my system.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #2,589 of 2,669
Hi everyone, sorry for my bad English, my inner foam ring just disintegrate into dust and I already tried with no inner foam, the sound become different, it is sharper and the mids not as lush, anyone here have this problem also?

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #2,590 of 2,669
Hi everyone, sorry for my bad English, my inner foam ring just disintegrate into dust and I already tried with no inner foam, the sound become different, it is sharper and the mids not as lush, anyone here have this problem also?

Thanks!
Not at all, your English is perfectly understandable.
Yes, this is how the sound will change if you remove or have a damaged cup.
Just replace it with a third party replacement cups or contact audio-technica supplier in your country via a music store to get a hold of the original foam ones (though I wouldn't do that because they have probably been in storage a really really long time so they are really really old already and won't last a year [this happened to my Audio-Technica microphone AT4081, the replacement windshield broke before I even used it once! That thing cost me $40!])
I use Brainwavz cups, lamb leather, they make the sound a bit darker, more chocolate-y but I actually like that. They also have other materials that will have slightly different acoustical properties.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #2,592 of 2,669
Anyone here who has owned both the Fiio FT3 and the ATH-R70x? I'm looking for new headphones and I've narrowed it down to these two. Would you still pick these over the FT3 and if so, why? :)
Go with r70x! It's been around for so many years, yet is still highly regarded and sounds great today. FT3 is just another Chinese headphone that will be forgotten in six months. They're already releasing FT5 and more pokemons will be released soon.

Aug 28, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #2,593 of 2,669
Not at all, your English is perfectly understandable.
Yes, this is how the sound will change if you remove or have a damaged cup.
Just replace it with a third party replacement cups or contact audio-technica supplier in your country via a music store to get a hold of the original foam ones (though I wouldn't do that because they have probably been in storage a really really long time so they are really really old already and won't last a year [this happened to my Audio-Technica microphone AT4081, the replacement windshield broke before I even used it once! That thing cost me $40!])
I use Brainwavz cups, lamb leather, they make the sound a bit darker, more chocolate-y but I actually like that. They also have other materials that will have slightly different acoustical properties.
Thanks!! Yes I think changing the pads with a little bit more depth would help, that's very nice of you to take a time and reply my question:) .

I still scratch my head because how stupid they're for using that type of foam. In 5 years of owning this cans I never remove the pad, but last night I decided to opened it because I heard constant distortion on the left piece, I thought it was hair stuck in the driver, but when I opened the pads it just a total mess, I tried to carefully clean all that disintegrated foam and make sure it is not getting into the driver, but pretty sure some of it get into the driver.

Aug 29, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #2,594 of 2,669
I'm back! This been a frustrating week, I love my R70x and after the inner foam turned into dust the sound change significantly, it became overly V shaped, the mids that I really love from R70x became thin and shrill. I really hate how it sounds without the inner foam, so I've tried some modding and here is the results:

1. Using hybrid pad (Aliexpress)

This pad is really really soft, I can press it and flattened it easily with my finger, but it stays in shape when I'm wearing it. The pad gives some extra room between my ear and the driver, the sounds more bearable than the stock pads with no inner foam, but the hybrid pads changed the sounds signature quite a bit, still V shape, bass a bit bloated, mids somewhat the same as no foam stock pads, thin but no shrill anymore.

This mod is no go for me, I love the R70x tuning so this mod just ruined it, the stock pads with inner foam still hold the true R70x tuning but really aggressive.

2. Foam mod
I found this mod on reddit, so you just add two stick of 8mm foam and tuck it in the backside of the earpad so it'll angled the pad even more ( add 5mm) to avoid your ear touching the driver. I managed to do it but It just hurt my jaw and ear after 15 minutes, I guess it adds extra clamping. This mod doesn't change the sound at all, still sharp and aggressive but much more uncomfortable.

This mod probably works well if you have smaller head and ears.

It really frustrating because how I love R70x, and I probably won't buy it again even though I love it because I rather buy another headphone..

So I scouring the internet looking for thin sheet of low density foam, and I tell you this stuff really really hard to find in Indonesia. And then my eyes set on air filter foam, finally I found the thin and low PPI (Pore per inch), so I bought the 5mm thickness and 45 PPI, this seller also have 20 PPI but it looks like it won't damping/filter anything because it has bigger hole.

Next post...

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #2,595 of 2,669
20230829_193645.jpg
20230829_193632.jpg

3. Air Filter Mod

It is more thicker than the original one but the pore and other else almost the same as the original one, I'm worried it will damping too much.

I cut 2 circles and then make it a donut so It wont covered the driver, a bit hard to attach the ear pads since the inner foam a bit thick but with perseverance I manage to attach the earpads.
Screenshot_20230829_194831_Chrome.jpg
from ATH site.

Its testing time..

Oh my god, the sounds I can say a bit better than the stock R70x.

The low just have more texture and clearer.

The mids become really vivid and more articulate.

The treble a bit tame but it doesn't affect the soundstage and imaging..

I can say that it is almost sounds like the tube amp, everything a bit slow but still can handle busy track and pinpoint quite precisely.

Yup, I manage to save my R70X, and make it better (for me)..

Hope this one help if you looking for inner foam replacement, and by the way sorry for not so good english:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back