Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Aug 22, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #1,037 of 2,669
I just ordered a pair of ATH-R70x for £209 (I'm in the UK). Unfortunately the Magni 2 Uber amp is out of stock so I will have to use them unamped for the time being when they arrive. It should be an upgrade from my ATH-A700 (not AD700 or A700x)

Aug 22, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #1,040 of 2,669
Hi everybody,

I'm french so sorry for my english, i'm about to buy the Audio Technica R70x, but i'd like to order at the same time thick earpads to improve the comfort because i already know the lack of comfort of Audio technica.. is someone could say me which thick earpads fits to R70x?

Thank you.

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #1,045 of 2,669
they are, but the pads are still considered thin. They're not like pillows against your ears. I would say mine changes it in a way that's more weighted throughout the spectrum, so it's not negative but different (or more traditional dynamic sounding). the stock pads make it sound fast and agile in my opinion, but very fun.

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #1,046 of 2,669
  for reasons like comfort and sound; for example the stock pads don't provide much sub-bass for many. When I changed the pads to brainwavz hybrids, it brought more sub-bass and padding around my ears.

thank you for your answer but the brainwavz hybrids are "oval" while the original earpads of r70x headphone seem "round". is it not a problem ?

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #1,047 of 2,669
It still fits if you take the ear pad band and slowly stretch it with your fingers (about an inch each time), while going around it. The band will loosen up a bit and it'll fit. I learned this while I modded my HE-400S to fit oval pads, which I find more comfortable for my ears.

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #1,049 of 2,669
  Does anyone have any recommendations on configuing an EQ for these headphones? I have one in the Creative software on my Titanium HD soundcard.

I initially tried out EQing them, but eventually reverted to nothing since I found the mix perfectly fine as it was haha. I got an increase in the subbass from swapping the pads out though

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #1,050 of 2,669
I heard the headphones have a few flaws that can be improved by altering an EQ. My sound card has software to alter the EQ. I read and saved a post that said "3dB more emphasis from 20-100 Hz to beef up the low end" I have a 31Hz and 62Hz on my EQ but i'm not sure if I should be increasing or decreasing these. Anyway, I am using the headphones at the moment without an amp because I am waiting for the Magni 2 Uber to arrive. It sounds nice with music on my PC but I am on max volume and even then I feel I would like more. In gaming however, it sounds REALLY poor and my ATH-A700s (which are closed headphones and highly recommended for gaming) sound so much nicer. I expect things to improve when I get an amp but would the R70x ever sound as nice in gaming as the A700s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back