Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Mar 28, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #918 of 2,666
Right now, I'm using my R70x with the Hybrid pads, a cable from Hivemind cables, and the Paw Gold, and I'm incredibly happy. I own a lot of headphones, but this might be one of my favorite pairings for a portable setup. 

Mar 29, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #919 of 2,666
  Right now, I'm using my R70x with the Hybrid pads, a cable from Hivemind cables, and the Paw Gold, and I'm incredibly happy. I own a lot of headphones, but this might be one of my favorite pairings for a portable setup. 

Just got my HM5 hybrid pads today, was a bit of a stretch to put on :p

Unfortunately it seems that I'm hearing slightly reduced mids and a peak in the lower treble. Vocals were noticeably reduced and minor sibilance. I a/b'd by:

- using stock pad on one ear, and HM5 on the other ear.
- using both HM5 pads

But it's true! The comfort is SUPREME. I think the sound changes were caused by the increased distance from the ear to driver. I might try Shure's 940 pads as they seem thinner. 

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #921 of 2,666
  Just got my HM5 hybrid pads today, was a bit of a stretch to put on :p

Unfortunately it seems that I'm hearing slightly reduced mids and a peak in the lower treble. Vocals were noticeably reduced and minor sibilance. I a/b'd by:

- using stock pad on one ear, and HM5 on the other ear.
- using both HM5 pads

But it's true! The comfort is SUPREME. I think the sound changes were caused by the increased distance from the ear to driver. I might try Shure's 940 pads as they seem thinner. 

That is interesting. I personally didn't notice much difference especially in the vocals. What were you using as a source? This weekend, I will listen to on my desktop set up. The Paw Gold is great and it does a good job at driving the r70X, but a desktop set up is much better. That might be why I'm not hearing the significant differences. 

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #922 of 2,666
That is interesting. I personally didn't notice much difference especially in the vocals. What were you using as a source? This weekend, I will listen to on my desktop set up. The Paw Gold is great and it does a good job at driving the r70X, but a desktop set up is much better. That might be why I'm not hearing the significant differences. 

I don't think the source is the issue, as I'm a/b'ing with the same source! But I'm using a schiit stack to drive them. I've found that I could partially reduce the issue by pressing the phones closer to my ears, compressing the hm5 pads.

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #925 of 2,666
In my experience the HM5 pads increased mid bass so it's more boomy, mids are slightly thinner with more peaks in the upper midrange, more V shaped sound. At first I didn't really like this but I kept being persistent and kept listening to them and I don't mind the changed balance in the sound signature after getting use to it . In no way does it is the same as the stock pad. This can still change as the pads are worn in bringing it slightly closer to the ear over time. Comfort is much better as others have already stated. 

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #926 of 2,666
The 3D wing mechanism on R70x is problematic with my current headphone stands.
Finally i made a new one, especially for the R70x. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #927 of 2,666
I did the "big head mod". I took wire cutters and clipped the plastic of the wing as close as possible to where it starts, taking it off entirely. Allowing me to bend the hell out of the metal band to perfectly fit my large head (it still was a bit small without doing that) and to bend the metal to be sure the ear pads sit at an angle optimal to cover my ears (with no gap at the bottom). They're lighter without the wings, so it doesn't bother me that it's flat metal on top. Then again, I have a lot of hair on top to cushion it. This may not work if it's cut close or bald up there. I know I can't resell them for as much, but I don't plan to. The best sounding open cans I've heard so far. These cans made my former favorite Sennheiser HD650 sound thin in comparison. You still can't beat HD650 comfort, and ability to fit large heads with room to spare, but I need the extra bass these have.

Apr 5, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #928 of 2,666
  I did the "big head mod". I took wire cutters and clipped the plastic of the wing as close as possible to where it starts, taking it off entirely. Allowing me to bend the hell out of the metal band to perfectly fit my large head (it still was a bit small without doing that) and to bend the metal to be sure the ear pads sit at an angle optimal to cover my ears (with no gap at the bottom). They're lighter without the wings, so it doesn't bother me that it's flat metal on top. Then again, I have a lot of hair on top to cushion it. This may not work if it's cut close or bald up there. I know I can't resell them for as much, but I don't plan to. The best sounding open cans I've heard so far. These cans made my former favorite Sennheiser HD650 sound thin in comparison. You still can't beat HD650 comfort, and ability to fit large heads with room to spare, but I need the extra bass these have.

Can you post a picture? Cheers!

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #930 of 2,666
Got this a few weeks ago, it is brilliant. I do need a new cable, though, since this one is so long. What are the connectors on the R70x? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back