Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Mar 14, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #857 of 2,669
  Notice that this cable does not work with R70X because the connectors do not fit :frowning2:

Yes, at first you cannot insert them into R70X because the locks on jack are too small. I tried to fix by making the locks wider at "I" part (I divide L lock 2 part: I and _) so I can insert into R70X but now they are not secured because the pin is a little bit smaller, I think so. I am not able to lock because I cannot make it wider at "_" part , I don't have tools to do that. If you don't believe me, you can buy the one and do the test.

No, the problem is the lock is too small, and the pin is a little bit smaller. With original cable, you insert it into R70X and it secures although you haven't locked yet.

The eBay cable seems to use similar connector like the one I use for my DIY cable, so looks like it will fit R70x. But the locking is tight fit, so you have to wiggle and push them a little hard before it can be twisted to lock.

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #858 of 2,669
  I found very interesting pic.
Denon uses Audio technica R70x for their exhibit machines!

please see the pic in the link.

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/img/avw/docs/747/950/html/h20.jpg.html

Thanks!
They probably love the synergy 
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #859 of 2,669

The eBay cable seems to use similar connector like the one I use for my DIY cable, so looks like it will fit R70x. But the locking is tight fit, so you have to wiggle and push them a little hard before it can be twisted to lock.

I tried but it ejected when I tried to lock. I don't dare to insert much hard because I don't want to make my R70X fail when trying to insert the less expensive cable :)

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #860 of 2,669
I've had this headphone for about a month now and am so impressed I've decided to spring for a desktop ss amp to match it. I need some mid-fi recommendations. I will be using the amp with a Neko D100 MK2 DAC, fed from a mac mini. Thanks.

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #861 of 2,669
  Yes, at first you cannot insert them into R70X because the locks on jack are too small. I tried to fix by making the locks wider at "I" part (I divide L lock 2 part: I and _) so I can insert into R70X but now they are not secured because the pin is a little bit smaller, I think so. I am not able to lock because I cannot make it wider at "_" part , I don't have tools to do that. If you don't believe me, you can buy the one and do the test.

No, the problem is the lock is too small, and the pin is a little bit smaller. With original cable, you insert it into R70X and it secures although you haven't locked yet.

If you compare the photos of your aftermarket cable with Earfonia's, you will notice that your aftermarket cable has heatshrinks wrapped around each connector, covering half of the silver part of the connector, whereas Earfonia's had none. As the R70X has a very deep and narrow jack on each ear cup, the heat shrink could have gotten in the way and prevented you from fully inserting the connector to be able to lock it securely.

I've had similar experiences with 2 aftermarket R70x cables using similar aftermarket connectors. For my first aftermarket cable, the silver part of the connector did not sit flush with the black color portion of the connector (i.e. the silver color portion was protruding very slightly compared to the black color portion of the connector), and as a result I wasn't able to insert the connector fully into the ear cup jack. The second aftermarket cable I have had heatshrinks covering part of the connectors, similar to your cable. I was able to fully insert and twist-lock the connectors to my R70x's ear cups only after I cut away part of the heat shrink.

Bottom line is, the R70x's ear cup jacks has very little tolerance for additional width of any sorts on the connectors, so you have to find a way to minimise that in order to be able to insert the connector fully and securely to the ear cups.     

Hope this helps.

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #862 of 2,669

If you compare the photos of your aftermarket cable with Earfonia's, you will notice that your aftermarket cable has heatshrinks wrapped around each connector, covering half of the silver part of the connector, whereas Earfonia's had none. As the R70X has a very deep and narrow jack on each ear cup, the heat shrink could have gotten in the way and prevented you from fully inserting the connector to be able to lock it securely.

I've had similar experiences with 2 aftermarket R70x cables using similar aftermarket connectors. For my first aftermarket cable, the silver part of the connector did not sit flush with the black color portion of the connector (i.e. the silver color portion was protruding very slightly compared to the black color portion of the connector), and as a result I wasn't able to insert the connector fully into the ear cup jack. The second aftermarket cable I have had heatshrinks covering part of the connectors, similar to your cable. I was able to fully insert and twist-lock the connectors to my R70x's ear cups only after I cut away part of the heat shrink.

Bottom line is, the R70x's ear cup jacks has very little tolerance for additional width of any sorts on the connectors, so you have to find a way to minimise that in order to be able to insert the connector fully and securely to the ear cups.     

Hope this helps.

It is not stuck by the heat shrink, it is stuck by the lock. After I make the lock wider, I can insert the connector but now the connector does not secure. I am trying to fix by making heat shrink wrapped around the connector, I hope it works.
p/s: I am a little bit disappointed about the seller, he is very good in pre-sale but not in post-sale. I notice him about the problem and ask him to end this product line but he hasn't replied me for 3 days. I don't ask him to refund, don't return product, don't claim Paypal or Ebay.

Update: He replied me after I opened dispute on Paypal today. Thank God for his reply but I closed my dispute without refund, just want to talk and hope he don't sell this cable to anyone. My lesson learned: don't buy anything from who say that he can make anything following your description because he can make it but he cannot sure if it will work probably or not :)

Mar 15, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #863 of 2,669
I've had this headphone for about a month now and am so impressed I've decided to spring for a desktop ss amp to match it. I need some mid-fi recommendations. I will be using the amp with a Neko D100 MK2 DAC, fed from a mac mini. Thanks.

Ok that didn’t get any response so let me be a bit more specific. I'm considering the Lyr2 with both ss and tube configuration. Has anyone paired the lyr with the r70x?

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #865 of 2,669
I'm considering the Lyr2 as well. Any report back on synergy?

I just picked up the Schiit Bifrost and Lyr 2, and I'm pretty excited to use them today with the R70X. They should really be able to drive these cans very well.

This guy might be able to help you.

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #866 of 2,669
I'm considering the Lyr2 as well. Any report back on synergy?

I love the Lyr2. It is very versatile if you buy the version with both the SS and Tubes. It can power pretty much any full sized headphone, and it sounds even better when you have a decent DAC. The best thing about it is if you don't like the synergy with the stock tubes, you can always try your headphones with a variety of other tubes. 

I personally really like the sound of the r70x and the Lyr2. I think the Lyr2 does a great job at providing the power to really make the r70x shine. I might also be a bit biased though because I think the r70x is the best headphone at its price point. I've tried the Lyr2 with the Phillips X2, K7xx, 99 classics (don't really need an amp like the Lyr2 though), and I greatly prefer the sound of the r70x.

Hope that helps. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #867 of 2,669
  I love the Lyr2. It is very versatile if you buy the version with both the SS and Tubes. It can power pretty much any full sized headphone, and it sounds even better when you have a decent DAC. The best thing about it is if you don't like the synergy with the stock tubes, you can always try your headphones with a variety of other tubes. 

I personally really like the sound of the r70x and the Lyr2. I think the Lyr2 does a great job at providing the power to really make the r70x shine. I might also be a bit biased though because I think the r70x is the best headphone at its price point. I've tried the Lyr2 with the Phillips X2, K7xx, 99 classics (don't really need an amp like the Lyr2 though), and I greatly prefer the sound of the r70x.

Hope that helps. 

Thanks for the info. Versatility is good. A SS option is good. I've had this 6V6 tube amp for a few years, which was modified by Jim Nichols. He was starting to show some erratic behavior when he worked on this one for me, so I was fortunate it turned out to be a good purchase. What I would like to do is have this amp hooked up to my main system so I can listen to records on my cans as well, and have a dedicated head amp in my bedroom. The advantage of my current set up is the 6V6 amp can drive speakers also. 

Based on some of the discussion in this thread I've gotten the impression that the R70x may do better with solid state amps, thus my conundrum. To be honest it sounds really nice with the 6V6 tubes. There's plenty of treble extension and a full-bodied textured midrange. The bass was a bit boomy at first but that seems to have calmed down.  Anyway, here's a pic:  

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #868 of 2,669
Based on some of the discussion in this thread I've gotten the impression that the R70x may do better with solid state amps, thus my conundrum.

The perpetuation of that impression isn't accurate, because the vast majority of solid-state amps are actually built to drive low-impedance, efficient headphones, which the R70x is not (it's neither low-impedance nor efficient). There are vanishingly few solid-state amps that I can think of that would effectively drive the R70x—the first one that comes to mind is the SPL Auditor/Phonitor.

The R70x's specs practically demand it to be driven by an OTL tube amp for optimal results, and the best inexpensive options for that have to be either the Schiit Valhalla 2 (which was indeed a great pairing when I owned it) or the Bottlehead Crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back