Audio Technica ATH-Pro700MKII + Fiio E11 = Good combo?
Aug 20, 2012 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

I<3SQ

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a Fiio E6 amp for my Koss Pro DJ100's and man, that little thing makes a huge difference in the output. But the cans didn't have enough bass for me so I ordered the MKII's, would the E11 push them nicely? Would the E11 even be a noticeable upgrade from the E6?

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 6
The MkII's are incredibly easy to drive.  I wouldn't worry too much about the e6 being an issue.  I currently use that exact setup myself.  I am thinking about getting an e17 though.  I really hope you like the MkII's, they are a bit uncomfortable with unmodded stock pads but the sound from them is very "fun."  I found that if you get some fairly dense packing foam (like the gray kind that lines fragile computer parts boxes) and stuff it into the pads it works better than cotton balls but those are a popular choice as well.  I ended up getting the Beyer Black Gel pads and I love them, makes these cans so comfortable.

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
The MkII's are incredibly easy to drive.  I wouldn't worry too much about the e6 being an issue.  I currently use that exact setup myself.  I am thinking about getting an e17 though.  I really hope you like the MkII's, they are a bit uncomfortable with unmodded stock pads but the sound from them is very "fun."  I found that if you get some fairly dense packing foam (like the gray kind that lines fragile computer parts boxes) and stuff it into the pads it works better than cotton balls but those are a popular choice as well.  I ended up getting the Beyer Black Gel pads and I love them, makes these cans so comfortable.

Whoa, a reply! Haha, thanks for the input brotha. I had never heard a headphone amp until I bought the E6 and I was thoroughly impressed with it. The MKII's sounded pretty good without the amp but adding it and the LOD cable woke them up noticeably. But I kept hearing about this E11 and how great it is so I decided to get one. Good lord have mercy...absolutely stomps on the E6! The amp is so powerful it's insane. So far i'm loving it on EQ2 and Low gain. I thought the $20 I spent on the E6 was money well spent but the $50 I spent on the E11 was even better. I'll probably give the E6 to my son so he can enjoy it with his RP-22x's.

Yeah, these cans clamp like a mofo but like you I have installed the black Beyerdynamic gel pads and it's much better. Next step is securing them so I don't have to worry about them falling off, but without taping them cause I think that looks tacky.

Aug 31, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 6
Totally just realized that I knew you already had those pads... I didn't even look at your name before but I had seen you in the other thread.  So you find the e11 blows away the e6 with these cans?  What kind of differences do you notice?  I have actually been thinking about the e7 or e17 myself.

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Totally just realized that I knew you already had those pads... I didn't even look at your name before but I had seen you in the other thread.  So you find the e11 blows away the e6 with these cans?  What kind of differences do you notice?  I have actually been thinking about the e7 or e17 myself.

Yeah man, the E11 is very powerful. With the E6 I found myself turning it damn near all the way up in order to get the loudness I wanted but with the E11 6 is the max I have to go out of 10 and even that is ridiculously loud. As for difference in sound....that's not a specialty of mine. I can tell you that the power increase is very noticeable and when on EQ2, while the bass is very pronounced, the mids and highs are more prominent too and makes the cans sound more balanced. 

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #6 of 6
I picked up the e17, and could not be happier.  I wanted the dac functionality and it is fantastic, the amp is amazing.  It really does wonders with these cans.  The EQ settings are fun too, I enjoy messing around with them for different genres to see how much different they can really sound.  It seems to me the only limitation is a small sound-stage and I can't really fix that without going to open cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back