Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Jan 3, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #2,583 of 2,803
I have this pair of headphones, I love the way they sound and look, I first had a pair of blue/black that did not crack, I returned them because I thought that the red/gunmetal would look better. So I did it and man, do I regret it? The red pair does look a bit cooler, but the built quality on the first pair was better, no rattling or creaking sound whatsoever. The red pair does creak like there is no tomorrow. The plastic bit that goes into the headband extension on the left side (where the CE mark is) has a bigger gap than the right one and I don't remember this issue with the blue pair. FInally is worth notice than the blue pair came in a bigger nicer box. I will try to disassemble the red pair and add a little bit of WD-40 in the joints. This headphone just sounds beautiful, I had a pair of Shure 1540, AT M70x, Beyer DT770, Beyer COP, Sennheiser HD25 and the MSR7 sounded the best to me. the only headphone that is there in terms of sound quality could be the beyer t51i. The M70x were better built, were more comfortable, had a pretty handy hard case and I like it the understated looks of it, and the sound was great also, fast and punchy bass, and crystal clear highs, but the voices sounded distant and not full like the MSR7. If the voices sounded richer on the M70x I would have keep those, way more comfortable and premium feeling than the MSR7.

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #2,584 of 2,803
I have this pair of headphones, I love the way they sound and look, I first had a pair of blue/black that did not crack, I returned them because I thought that the red/gunmetal would look better. So I did it and man, do I regret it? The red pair does look a bit cooler, but the built quality on the first pair was better, no rattling or creaking sound whatsoever. The red pair does creak like there is no tomorrow. The plastic bit that goes into the headband extension on the left side (where the CE mark is) has a bigger gap than the right one and I don't remember this issue with the blue pair. FInally is worth notice than the blue pair came in a bigger nicer box. I will try to disassemble the red pair and add a little bit of WD-40 in the joints. This headphone just sounds beautiful, I had a pair of Shure 1540, AT M70x, Beyer DT770, Beyer COP, Sennheiser HD25 and the MSR7 sounded the best to me. the only headphone that is there in terms of sound quality could be the beyer t51i. The M70x were better built, were more comfortable, had a pretty handy hard case and I like it the understated looks of it, and the sound was great also, fast and punchy bass, and crystal clear highs, but the voices sounded distant and not full like the MSR7. If the voices sounded richer on the M70x I would have keep those, way more comfortable and premium feeling than the MSR7.
Well, the MSR7 truly is wonderful. It's got unrealized potential at stock form, but even so, it's my favorite closed back that costs a reasonable amount.

Regarding the creaking issues, it's a common problem with the MSR7. Don't worry about it, you can easily fix it. I fixed mine by removing the plastic caps that have the left and right indicators and just applied some Teflon lubricant I had for my bicycle. Boom, no more creaking. And my pair had some severe creaking.

With all that said, the driver in these things is phenomenal. I'm curious how it ended up in a sub 200$ pair of headphones, but I'm glad it did. It's fast, it's efficient and it sounds great. I'm almost tempted to get another used pair and go crazy with them, mod them until they're not the same thing anymore. I've even considered making them open back and see what happens. Right now I don't have the money to do all that, but it's a tempting thought for the near future.

PS : Regarding the box, don't worry about it. AT changed it in the newer MSR7 units. I don't know if it's better or worse, but as long as the headphones are the same, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #2,585 of 2,803
Is the MSR7SE sound signature still considered neutral or neutral to bright?

I love the original MSR7 bright sound signature and mainly uses it for Japanese musics with a lot of female vocals and classical musics. It has excellent clarity and comes with controlled bass and forward vocals. I hate bassy headphones, I sold M50x for MSR7.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #2,586 of 2,803
Is the MSR7SE sound signature still considered neutral or neutral to bright?

I love the original MSR7 bright sound signature and mainly uses it for Japanese musics with a lot of female vocals and classical musics. It has excellent clarity and comes with controlled bass and forward vocals. I hate bassy headphones, I sold M50x for MSR7.
The SE is warmer (more bass presence) and a little less treble sparkle than the stock MSR7

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #2,587 of 2,803
I need help about MSR7, I bought this headphone last month , But I have some serious problem with this headphone: 2 word, Sub bass and Bass are my main problem with this headphone, I Listen Only to EDM, Trance and Uplifting trance it mean SUB bass is very imported for this genre. I tried with EQ but Im still not hat happy with this Headphone, Im ready to mod this headphone, Wheres is mod for msr7? please send me link.
Also treble sound is very sharp.
How I can fix it? if?
Thanks

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #2,588 of 2,803
I need help about MSR7, I bought this headphone last month , But I have some serious problem with this headphone: 2 word, Sub bass and Bass are my main problem with this headphone, I Listen Only to EDM, Trance and Uplifting trance it mean SUB bass is very imported for this genre. I tried with EQ but Im still not hat happy with this Headphone, Im ready to mod this headphone, Wheres is mod for msr7? please send me link.
Also treble sound is very sharp.
How I can fix it? if?
Thanks
Get a pair of HM5 pads, preferably sheepskin but pleather works too. Then do the mod in my signature, it's quite simple and easy. Just pay attention to the wires inside and you'll be good. You're gonna have sub bass for days after that. Plus, it takes better to EQing after modding. Happy listening!

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #2,589 of 2,803
Get a pair of HM5 pads, preferably sheepskin but pleather works too. Then do the mod in my signature, it's quite simple and easy. Just pay attention to the wires inside and you'll be good. You're gonna have sub bass for days after that. Plus, it takes better to EQing after modding. Happy listening!
Thank you, Can I mod MSR7 with Stock pads?
I have NC model ( noise canceling ) Can I mod NC model also? since there is active circuitry which already modifies the sound.

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #2,590 of 2,803
Thank you, Can I mod MSR7 with Stock pads?
I have NC model ( noise canceling ) Can I mod NC model also? since there is active circuitry which already modifies the sound.
No, it doesn't do well with stock pads, sorry. Bass becomes boomy and muddy, while it does nothing for the harsh highs. Also, I have no idea about the NC version. I suppose it's the same internally, so you'd be ok, but I really don't know. If you decide to go on with this, take extra care and inform us on what happens. :)

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #2,591 of 2,803
MSR7B ... Wowey never expected AT to step it up like that. Bravo AT, Bravo.
giphy.gif

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #2,592 of 2,803
MSR7B ... Wowey never expected AT to step it up like that. Bravo AT, Bravo.
giphy.gif
So... MSR7 balanced? Just that or am I missing anything here? Maybe they're using the driver from the SE? I'm probably gonna buy a pair later this year just cause I want a second MSR7 in my life. If it's not more of the same but tweaked in some way, it's gonna be great.

Feb 6, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #2,593 of 2,803
So... MSR7 balanced? Just that or am I missing anything here? Maybe they're using the driver from the SE? I'm probably gonna buy a pair later this year just cause I want a second MSR7 in my life. If it's not more of the same but tweaked in some way, it's gonna be great.

Well they are offering quite a lot for what is a portable can. I think more effort has been put into these than the mdr-1am2.
And I am more a Sony fanboy, so that means a lot.

Maybe Sony will step it up on their m3.

I support a little war with ms7r and mdr-1A series. Better for the consumers. Comfort on both is top notch. Now just a matter of tinkering to perfection.

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #2,594 of 2,803
Well they are offering quite a lot for what is a portable can. I think more effort has been put into these than the mdr-1am2.
And I am more a Sony fanboy, so that means a lot.

Maybe Sony will step it up on their m3.

I support a little war with ms7r and mdr-1A series. Better for the consumers. Comfort on both is top notch. Now just a matter of tinkering to perfection.
Well, I'm happy that they're going for a completely different sound. Both are great headphones. I'm very curious to here both the m2 and the MSR7b.

PS : Looking at the specs, I'm quite sure the MSR7b uses the drivers from the MSR7SE. Both say they're using diamond-like carbon coated diaphragms. That should be interesting. The SE cost a bit more than I think they should compared to the normal MSR7. The b are priced ok. Plus, with them not being "limited edition" I suppose the price will drop further in retail. That and I hated the blue on the SE.

PS 2 : They're using A2DC connectors? What Audio Technica? What's wrong with 3.5mm? Or even 2.5mm? Why did they have to go full stupid on that? Also, no 2.5mm balanced cable? Only 4.4mm? Because EVERYTHING has that. Jesus Christ...

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #2,595 of 2,803
No, it doesn't do well with stock pads, sorry. Bass becomes boomy and muddy, while it does nothing for the harsh highs. Also, I have no idea about the NC version. I suppose it's the same internally, so you'd be ok, but I really don't know. If you decide to go on with this, take extra care and inform us on what happens. :)
What do you think about HDJ X10 Pads :
Pioneer HDJ X10 Pads : Nano coated polyurethane Leather

https://www.pioneerdj.com/en/product/accessories/hc-ep0501/ear-pads/overview/

Price is 45$
Or
HM5 sheepskin Pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back