Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Sep 29, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #2,551 of 2,803
Sure, i'll be modding them as per your recommendation earlier! I actually had a pair of HM5 pads for another pair of headphones, but way before i got my MSR7's, and i loved how they felt.

Regarding the headband i'm leaning towards making some sort of leather and/or cloth headband with foam inside for extra padding, which would be attached with some sort of buttons (similar to what you can find on ebay/aliexpress). We'll see what i'll come up with (will post if it turns out nice).
The mod you've posted earlier, do you still get any benefit from it with the stock pads? I'm considering doing it later tonight just for fun, but i just might wait 'til i get the HM5 pads in the mail.
Well that's nice to hear. Another person that will get to experience the MSR7's full potential is a win!

Comfort wise, with the HM5s the MSR7 go from a humble 6 to a 9 in my book. The strong clamp and weird head shape that needs you to bend the headband keep it from being a 10, but it's still damn comfy.

Headband... Well, these knit sleeves work. I mean, they are very comfy. But I like the way the MSR7 look and IMO these sleeves look as ugly as a Balkan grandma's knit tablecloths. I'd wear one at home, but I wouldn't dare be seen with one, if you know what I mean. :laughing:
What could work is taking the screws off the parts where the headband meets the cup, on the swivel, remove the pleather piece and go to someone that works on leather. Ask for a piece of leather, same shape and size as the pleather one from the MSR7 and as thin as they can make it. Maybe stitch some elastic cloth on the very ends so that it would make screwing it back in easier. Sacrifice the pad of an older headphone or find some memory foam somewhere and put it where the stock head pad was. Close it all down and hope for the best. I'd love it if you tried that and it works, but if you decide against it, I'll probably do it when the head pad on mine starts to disintegrate and then report back!

Regarding the mod, I've tried it with stock pads, but I didn't like it too much. It calms down the highs and high mids, which is good, but the bass becomes boomy and loses detail, so meh. Pleather HM5s are the most drastic difference in sound. The MSR7 go from too detailed, too bright to being laid back and a bit dark. It's a great sounding headphone that way, but farther away from stock than I'd like. Sheepskin HM5 hit the perfect balance IMO. They retain most of the headphone's character up high, but without the edge on the highs and the shoutiness of the mids and with added bass and sub-god-damn-bass for days. Like really, it's not even funny, it's scary good in an area that the MSR7 sucked before. Great thing is, this whole thing is so easily reversible that you can try and, if you don't like it, revert to stock. But why bother?

Have fun brother!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #2,553 of 2,803
What's the difference between the black and the white box?
Well, I really can't recall what ended up going on, but there was a discussion some pages back. A guy received a pair of MSR7 in a white box and investigated further, sending emails to Audio Technica and stuff. I remember reading all of that, but what ultimately happened escapes me, sorry. The info is in this thread, however.

Nov 2, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #2,557 of 2,803
Ho comprato tre unità: la prima, la marrone / rossa, è arrivata in una scatola bianca. Gli altri, nero / blu, in a black box.
Il secondo was a fake. The writing on the box was in chinese and, more important, the drivers were totally different.
Puoi scottare h "fake msr7" to find images about this.

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #2,558 of 2,803
Hi, is there any way/mode to increase the subbass of msr7? Really like these cans overall, but lill more bass and lill less sibilance will be treat.
Well, you're in luck. Check the link in my signature, check the mod I did. Does exactly what you ask. Smooths the highs out, so sibilance is gone, gets rid of the shoutiness in the mids and gives what is probably the best subbass response I've heard on a headphone (at least of this caliber and quite a bit above it). But you gotta try it with the HM5 pads or similar, stock pads give meh results. Have fun!

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #2,559 of 2,803
Umm... Sorry if this is ask before, too many time I think.

I'm looking for a replacement earpads for the msr7. Should I get the stock or aftermarket?

My stock earpads leather was totally "destroyed" the leather have all been peel off, so I'm worried that the new stock will do the same thing again.

Edited 1: if I'm going to replace the headband, is that difficult? Anyway to add more cushion and wrap it around the headband or is there a more elegant solution?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #2,560 of 2,803
Umm... Sorry if this is ask before, too many time I think.

I'm looking for a replacement earpads for the msr7. Should I get the stock or aftermarket?

My stock earpads leather was totally "destroyed" the leather have all been peel off, so I'm worried that the new stock will do the same thing again.

Edited 1: if I'm going to replace the headband, is that difficult? Anyway to add more cushion and wrap it around the headband or is there a more elegant solution?
As you live in Singapore replacing the earpads every few years is a must, I'm afraid. That's speaking from my experiences, I actually bought the MSR7 in Singapore and used it for a few months there. There's no elegant solution for the headband either, so what I did was buy a wrapper band from ebay. Pleather looks nice but its durability, especially in tropical countries like ours, is just horrible.

I strongly advise you to buy the stock pads as any change in pads - material, foam density, holes etc. is going to affect the sound. If you like the MSR7's stock sound, stay with stock pads. I'm not saying that 3rd party pads will definitely ruin the sound, but chances are they will.

Nov 25, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #2,561 of 2,803
As you live in Singapore replacing the earpads every few years is a must, I'm afraid. That's speaking from my experiences, I actually bought the MSR7 in Singapore and used it for a few months there. There's no elegant solution for the headband either, so what I did was buy a wrapper band from ebay. Pleather looks nice but its durability, especially in tropical countries like ours, is just horrible.

I strongly advise you to buy the stock pads as any change in pads - material, foam density, holes etc. is going to affect the sound. If you like the MSR7's stock sound, stay with stock pads. I'm not saying that 3rd party pads will definitely ruin the sound, but chances are they will.
I may be a bit late for this, but still. The only tested way to get a pad change that still sounds good is modding the MSR7, there's no way around it as far as people have tested. Not gonna repeat myself, the mod is in my sig and I've been spamming it in here as if I get paid for it. :p

Other than that, your options could include the Dekoni Elite sheepskin pads that aren't too big and *MAY* preserve the sound, the Yaxi ST pads that someone else was mentioning here or the stock pads from the AT WS1100is which are like what the stock MSR7 pads should have been to begin with. Then there's of course the stock MSR7 pads, but I really can't stand them. I mean, for some people's ears they're actually fine and the headphones sound great with them on, but comfort... Sheesh... I'd stick with the terrible sounding HM5s almost. But the only thing they need to sound great with the HM5 pads is removing a piece of felt, so lucky me I guess.

PS : I was at an audio show in Athens this weekend (Ήχος και Εικόνα 2018) and I carried the MSR7 with me. I kid you not, there wasn't a single closed back can that I tried that made me go "WOW, these are much better than my MSR7" (emphasis on the "my" part, they're not stock). And these included the Audeze LCD-XC and EL-8, the Focal Elegia (great cans though) and Spirit Pro, the Hifiman Edition S (yes, yes, not truly a closed back but meh) and others that I can't remember right now. In fact, the only 3 headphones in the whole show, open or closed, that I would take over the MSR7 with no second thought are the Audeze LCD-2C, the Focal Clear (not the Elear, I liked those less than the MSR7 even though they're open) and the Stax 007-mk2 (ELECTROSTATS MY GOD).

I am a huge fanboy of these cans. I will probably get myself another pair and go crazy modding them. ZMF pads on MSR7? Sure. Stupid damping inside them? Yup. Replacing everything with real leather? Why the hell not?

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #2,562 of 2,803
I may be a bit late for this, but still. The only tested way to get a pad change that still sounds good is modding the MSR7, there's no way around it as far as people have tested. Not gonna repeat myself, the mod is in my sig and I've been spamming it in here as if I get paid for it. :p

Other than that, your options could include the Dekoni Elite sheepskin pads that aren't too big and *MAY* preserve the sound, the Yaxi ST pads that someone else was mentioning here or the stock pads from the AT WS1100is which are like what the stock MSR7 pads should have been to begin with. Then there's of course the stock MSR7 pads, but I really can't stand them. I mean, for some people's ears they're actually fine and the headphones sound great with them on, but comfort... Sheesh... I'd stick with the terrible sounding HM5s almost. But the only thing they need to sound great with the HM5 pads is removing a piece of felt, so lucky me I guess.

PS : I was at an audio show in Athens this weekend (Ήχος και Εικόνα 2018) and I carried the MSR7 with me. I kid you not, there wasn't a single closed back can that I tried that made me go "WOW, these are much better than my MSR7" (emphasis on the "my" part, they're not stock). And these included the Audeze LCD-XC and EL-8, the Focal Elegia (great cans though) and Spirit Pro, the Hifiman Edition S (yes, yes, not truly a closed back but meh) and others that I can't remember right now. In fact, the only 3 headphones in the whole show, open or closed, that I would take over the MSR7 with no second thought are the Audeze LCD-2C, the Focal Clear (not the Elear, I liked those less than the MSR7 even though they're open) and the Stax 007-mk2 (ELECTROSTATS MY GOD).

I am a huge fanboy of these cans. I will probably get myself another pair and go crazy modding them. ZMF pads on MSR7? Sure. Stupid damping inside them? Yup. Replacing everything with real leather? Why the hell not?
Wow, those are some totl cans you compared msr7 with. How is lcd-2 superior to msr7? I also wana upgrade to lcd-2c as my endgame.

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #2,563 of 2,803
Wow, those are some totl cans you comp ared msr7 with. How is lcd-2 superior to msr7? I also wana upgrade to lcd-2c as my endgame.
Yup. Although, regardless of my enthusiasm, and regardless of modding, I can't say that the MSR7 are actually superior to any of these (they were clearly superior to the Hifiman Edition S to my ears, though). But considering the price difference, I expected the MSR7 to be garbage by comparison. But it was there with me and I A/B'ed it with everything I could and nope, it's fine. There's a chance that any differences would be more clear to me if I could listen to all of these cans in a quieter home setting, rather than a convention, but that doesn't change the facts.

Compared to the LCD-2C, the comparison isn't really valid. The 2Cs were extremely wide and dark, but very well done. No bright treble to make them harsh, they were just laid back. I literally just relaxed there while another guy was waiting for me to finish and let the song finish (The guy in the Audeze booth had Tool playing, I couldn't say no :D ). The MSR7 at stock are bright and somewhat wide for a closed back, but really narrow compared to the 2C. They also are uncomfortable and lack bass impact. Modded, the story is a bit different. They're an almost neutral V-shape can, very comfortable with no apparent peaks and great, GREAT bass impact along with actual sub bass that they lacked at stock. They're also wider, but the 2C are much wider still and sound more naturally wide (Open vs closed, duh). To be honest, the 2C aren't endgame material. They are absolutely great for a relaxing set of cans for listening to music at home. But from a short listen they seem to be a one-trick pony. End game cans should be versatile and these, sadly, are not. Still would get them in a heartbeat if I could. That is, unless I could also get the LCD-X or the Focal Clears (or Elex).

A comparison that was more interesting for me was with the Focal Clear and Elegia. The Elegia was, from what I can recall, a bit boomier, intimate/closed and brighter version of the Clear. It wasn't bad, it was just closed and it brought everything good and bad that comes with closing an open set of cans. The Clears, on the other hand... Oh the Clears. Best dynamic headphone I've heard. I wished I could have also brought my HD 58x to compare, but something tells me I would be rather disappointed and would want the Clears (still love the 58x though). As for the MSR7... Well, they were more similar than I thought they'd be. The MSR7 sounded, from what I could hear quickly, a bit wider/more open than the Elegia, but was beat handily, finally, by the Clear. What the MSR7 is great at, the Clear was just better, from a bit to a lot. Bass impact was the closest and was a wash, down to preference. Speed wise, the Clears were better but still, not by a huge margin. What they absolutely excelled at were the dynamics, but that's Focal's claim to fame, so of course they did. The Clears were also dead neutral and very open. I loved them. Only dynamic I tried that I would sell everything I have to get.

Nov 29, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #2,564 of 2,803
Thanks for this detailed comarison tolsi626. I actually need exactly the cans what you have said for 2C, the ones with dark tonality and I can listen to for longer duration without fatigue. I hope one day 2C will be in my budget.

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #2,565 of 2,803
Glad you liked it mate!

At this point, I don't even think it needs the Fixomull stuff. The highs are calmed with the mod. That or I don't push the volume as high as I did at first with the HM5 pads to get back some of my bass. But! And it's a big but. Maybe the difference in material on the pads accentuates the highs. Maybe the pleather pads give a warmer sound compared to the leather ones? I certainly hope that's not the case, because I really want to get the leather ones now that I found a way to make them work and I absolutely adore the sound with the pleather pads. I mean, apart from the issues I have with them. Is there any chance you have bigger, angled pads to try with them? I was also flirting with the idea of getting angled pads, but at this point I'm not willing to risk it with no other headphones in hand to put them on if they don't work with the MSR7. Although, I suppose with the drivers being already angled, the result wouldn't be so great, but I damn sure would like to give it a try!

Next up on my list of stuff to try is filling the cup with cotton or polyfill. Probably cotton because it's cheap, but I dunno. Filling the back with cotton is supposed to help increase the effective amount of air the driver gets to work with. Plus, I think it would somewhat dampen the back wave so that it doesn't directly hit the plastic. Or maybe that's what's helping the bass in the first place, but I have no idea. I could also remove the felt patch on the bass port, but I'm concerned because at this point I would actually be turning the headphones semi open and I don't know how the driver would handle that. I guess it's easy to reverse anyway, so I might as well give it a try at some point if I'm bored.

But all of that will have to wait for my pad issue to get corrected. The fact that I almost sent my cans to AT's service (great customer support as far as I'm concerned) because the pads are asymmetrical drives me mad. I mean, I don't know if it shows in the pictures, but look :
I don't know how well it shows in pictures, but the thickness difference and the shape difference are causing a big enough shift towards the thinner pad's size that it's infuriating to listen to. I hope I can sort it out with Brainwavz and they either replace the pads or at least give me the option to also get a single pleather pad with my leather ones when I buy them. I don't need another paid of pleathers. For now. :D

Hi man! So I tried removing the little felt ring that opens to the back and I do feel the bass has improved. But in the beginning I felt like the sound was a bit weird, maybe a bit narrower of a soundstage and a bit of mid bleeding. Anyways, for some reason one of my pillows broke so I tried some of the polyfill in the headphones... would you believe me if I said they sound more "open"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back