Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Feb 16, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #1,396 of 2,803
Feb 16, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #1,398 of 2,803
  I have been thinking about getting the MSR7, but after watching this video I'm a little skeptical of the build quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIqwr9K7qV4

Have many of you experience poor build quality?  Thought???

I think the odds of that happening are small, the guy was unlucky. I for one have bought at least 30 different headphones in the last several years from different manufacturers and this happened once ( Denon ah-d2000 ear cups, straight out of the box) But most people don't go through that many headphones so the odds of that happening are small IMO.

However; build quality is the only thing that always annoyed me about Audio Technica, they have produced some truly amazing headphones soundwise though.

Feb 16, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #1,399 of 2,803
  I have been thinking about getting the MSR7, but after watching this video I'm a little skeptical of the build quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIqwr9K7qV4

Have many of you experience poor build quality?  Thought???

If you look carefully as the user rotate the outside box you would have noticed that the headphone came from Amazon warehouse deals sticker on the short side of the box.. That means it is a used pair. Looks like there was quite a bit of glue that to hold the cover on. I think that the headphone was a bit abused and let in a hot sun maybe. The top of the head band show some indication of heat as well.   I would not be too concerned about build quality at this point. I usually do not  buy used  equipment that you wear.

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #1,400 of 2,803
Sorry, my smartphone is cheap so the picture is low quality

StPAD
Thickness: 1.5cm
Inner size: 6cm, 4cm
HM5
Thickness: 3cm
Inner size: 7cm, 5cm

impression about StPAD:
Because the thickness only 1.5cm, I'm afraid this earpads is not comfortable as stock, but I will add foam or toilet tissue if not comfortable.

From the website (http://www.yaxi.jp/product-gallery/stpad-for-studio-headphone-dx/), they said the earpads are made from protein leather and high density urethane foam. StPAD really denser than stock pads, have better quality than M50x pads, sorry can't remember precisely of M50x limited edition pads (but it's better than standard M50x).

My earpads broken 1 month ago, so I can't directly comparing with StPAD.
HM5: bigger soundstage, reduced midbass impact and have sibilance. And must increasing volume from your source (I can't recommended it for MSR7). Try to add few layers of very thin clothes to reduce sibilance. Big plus of HM5 pads is really comfortable.
StPAD: I think almost everything is sounds same (I really like it). but I feel something different 
blink.gif

After 3 hours:
I wonder why with only 1.5cm thickness, compared to stock pads 2cm, but I'm prefer StPAD than original earpads. Maybe my ears pressed properly. Because with stock earpads, sometimes my antihelix is hurt

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #1,402 of 2,803
  Hey guys, I purchase this cans last year and my cables are getting damaged now, do you know where can I get different cables for it? perhaps some customs ones? 

I just bought cable from Amazon and i like it better than the set that came with the phones.
"Sentey Audio Cable 3.5mm Braided. Well made very "shock" about that and it cost $9. lol
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #1,403 of 2,803
  If you look carefully as the user rotate the outside box you would have noticed that the headphone came from Amazon warehouse deals sticker on the short side of the box.. That means it is a used pair. Looks like there was quite a bit of glue that to hold the cover on. I think that the headphone was a bit abused and let in a hot sun maybe. The top of the head band show some indication of heat as well.   I would not be too concerned about build quality at this point. I usually do not  buy used  equipment that you wear.

So that's that. Only problem I had with the MSR7 was comfort, not build quality.

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #1,404 of 2,803

I just bought cable from Amazon and i like it better than the set that came with the phones.
"Sentey Audio Cable 3.5mm Braided. Well made very "shock" about that and it cost $9. lol
biggrin.gif

can you post a link to the cable please

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #1,406 of 2,803
I feel like the pickiest person on this subject. I just got my MSR7 today and they seem a bit bright. I was literally thinking "I want darker" or "more neutral" on first impression. Brightness is like salt - too much and it makes food taste less "natural" and more "engineered". I also don't feel like there is any kind of super details being presented and such, they remind me more of speakers.

Since I have such a low amount of experience with headphones, exactly how bright would you say the MRS7 are compared to the competition or other brands in general? JBL Pro start making headphones, so I can try to match them to the JBL LSR305! I just want to emulate those... I feel like they are very smooth, even in a small with room with the bass trim on, they don't highlight the upper frequencies.

Feb 20, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #1,407 of 2,803
  JBL Pro start making headphones, so I can try to match them to the JBL LSR305! I just want to emulate those...

JBL do make headphones, the Synchros S500 and S700 are supposed to be pretty good though I haven't heard them yet. Apparently they both sound very like JBL Control One monitor speakers. I own Control One monitors and can tell you that if true then it's a good thing.
  I also don't feel like there is any kind of super details being presented.

This is one of the MSR7's strengths, they do this better than 90% of the headphones out there...wait until you've became familiar with them before deciding on that
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #1,408 of 2,803
  I feel like the pickiest person on this subject. I just got my MSR7 today and they seem a bit bright. I was literally thinking "I want darker" or "more neutral" on first impression. Brightness is like salt - too much and it makes food taste less "natural" and more "engineered". I also don't feel like there is any kind of super details being presented and such, they remind me more of speakers.

Since I have such a low amount of experience with headphones, exactly how bright would you say the MRS7 are compared to the competition or other brands in general? JBL Pro start making headphones, so I can try to match them to the JBL LSR305! I just want to emulate those... I feel like they are very smooth, even in a small with room with the bass trim on, they don't highlight the upper frequencies.

Yea keep them for awhile.
What source are you using Dap, headphone amp ect.

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #1,409 of 2,803
im really liking these with chord mojo and ak100mkii

Feb 20, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #1,410 of 2,803

Yea keep them for awhile.
What source are you using Dap, headphone amp ect.

Yeah, this probably a bit of my fault, but the Behringer UM2. I asked about this a while ago, as well as needing them for speakers, and the conclusion was that audio interfaces would be a better value, even if not the best/made for headphones. I could have got a better one, but the DAC/AMP isn't even the thing they're really promoted on, so they may not be actually any better.

JBL do make headphones, the Synchros S500 and S700 are supposed to be pretty good though I haven't heard them yet. Apparently they both sound very like JBL Control One monitor speakers. I own Control One monitors and can tell you that if true then it's a good thing.
This is one of the MSR7's strengths, they do this better than 90% of the headphones out there...wait until you've became familiar with them before deciding on that
wink.gif

I know that JBL makes headphones, but they don't make any under the JBL Pro brand, so I just thought they were all consumer/lesser quality products. I'll look into them now, I'm reading that they were modelled after the LSR6332. I'm still going to give these headphones a week though.

The only other (good) headphones I had before this were clinical/analytical and stupidly detailed. The instrumental end of Kesha - Supernatural had all these "snaps" and echos super prominent,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back