Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Apr 16, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #751 of 2,803
MDR7 on my head didnt isolate well enough to be portable. And yes compared to Momentum and MDR1 MSR7 is more favorable sound to me, but calling them neutral and balanced is somthing I would avoid. Mids recessed for me, too much bass emphasis to be balanced and treble too shrill. But I did LOVE the bass, great bass.

I'm not sure why it isolates so poorly because it has a nice clamp and get a great seal from the pads. It looks like it would be a fantastic portable, but when I used it commuting for a week, it was terrible. K550 isolated better. When I was at home and listened critically in a quiet environment, I used the MDR7 at a lower volume because it was so detailed and the bass was great, but when commuting, had it on quite loud, louder than I could tolerate after a while, realizing how loud it was and became concerned about hurting my hearing.

Haha,
I have the same concern as you,
because of its bright nature,
I unconsciously turn it quite loud as well.
Does make me concern a bit.
It does isolate relatively well,
since I can use it in my workplace without disturbing others,
but in a noisy environment its isolation of outside noise could be better.

I like the bass as well, but I think its bass is not as elevated as other headphones in its class,
the thing that makes its bass stand out is the quality,
not quantity,
that is why I likened it to a neutral HP compared to the momentum and the MDR-1A.
Plus I didn't find the mid recessed at all,
its very balanced in my opinion,
only the trebles are slightly elevated. 

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #752 of 2,803

I like the bass as well, but I think its bass is not as elevated as other headphones in its class,
the thing that makes its bass stand out is the quality,not quantity,
that is why I likened it to a neutral HP compared to the momentum and the MDR-1A.
Plus I didn't find the mid recessed at all,
its very balanced in my opinion,
only the trebles are slightly elevated. 

Totally agree.  Heard them at the SoCal CanJam and loved 'em.

IMO, this is the least expensive (non-professional) headphone that is truly capable of hi-res SQ.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/incisive-audio-technica-ath-msr7

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #753 of 2,803
If anyone in Canada or the US is looking for the gumetal version - i just put it up on the classified section

- Comes with bonus HM5 pads and hard carrying case 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/763025/audio-technica-msr7-gunmetal-w-bonus-hm5-pads-and-hard-carrying-case

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #754 of 2,803
Here you go guys, finally received my case from eBay.  Only $6.99 and has Audio-Technica logo on it.  Its a bit tight so earcups have to be slightly angled when inside, but it's deep enough with plenty of extra space, including for cables and even portable amp.

eBay store where I got it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/381172146143?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here are the pictures, and you know they worth a thousand words
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #755 of 2,803
After listening to Sony MDR-CD900ST, make me wonder if ATH-MSR7 engineered by who engineered CD900ST
There is lot of similarities in the soundsignature, IMO
Only different at coloration and CD900ST is more flat, the soundstage too (MSR7 more wide, CD900ST have better depth)
And both very dependant on the source

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #757 of 2,803
MSR7 provides good tonal balance - does not sound too far off from my 400i as well as the PM3s tonally, but does lack a bit of bass quality/depth/impact compared to both and is brighter edgy/not as smooth as the 400i/PM3s.  The PM3s sound dark in comparison. 

But they also sound airier than the PM3s because of the elevated treble, as well as sometimes being sibilant/shrill on some songs compared to the other 2.  

I think at $250 they are a great price for a warm tilting, neutralish can with good speed. 

Apr 22, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #758 of 2,803
Thk for compare, cool spec.

Overall, I would seriously consider MSR7 to be my new favorite pair of full size headphones with a design, a style, and a sound quality which hits a sweet spot in my book. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #760 of 2,803
Can anyone compare the msr7 to the B&O h6?

H6 are more expensive, imo more nicely balanced and more comfortable. The msr7 are cheap, built really well and are comfortable but there was too much treble emphasis for me and I found them rather sibilant. Bass on both is nice, I'd say the bass on the msr7 was a little tighter but the mids are a win for the h6's. Fuller sounding and a bit warmer which I personally like.

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #761 of 2,803
H6 are more expensive, imo more nicely balanced and more comfortable. The msr7 are cheap, built really well and are comfortable but there was too much treble emphasis for me and I found them rather sibilant. Bass on both is nice, I'd say the bass on the msr7 was a little tighter but the mids are a win for the h6's. Fuller sounding and a bit warmer which I personally like.
Thanks for the response bark snarly! I have auditioned the h6 and noticed its excellent balance as well. I am trying to look for a cheaper alternative to the h6. The msr7s thin sounding nature is what is preventing to me from purchasing it. I gotta have my full mids.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #762 of 2,803
Thanks for the response bark snarly! I have auditioned the h6 and noticed its excellent balance as well. I am trying to look for a cheaper alternative to the h6. The msr7s thin sounding nature is what is preventing to me from purchasing it. I gotta have my full mids.

I've been eqing > 9k by about -5db, which seemed to help it sound a bit fuller/thicker trying to get it to sound more like the PM3s i had this week during the loaner program. 

Actually ive been eqing down: leaving bass at 0, everything up to 9k -4db, and 9k+ -10db.  I wanted a bit more punch in the bass while taming the highs

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #763 of 2,803
Ok so using the HM5 Velour pads was a bad move, but i put in the pleather pads - and they are much better. Bass did not dissipate and treble did not get more sibilant like they did with the velour ones.  Soundstage is increased, theres more room all around your ear as well as from the driver itself.

I added some cotton around the driver between the pads for some extra damping, not sure if it helps with sibilance/decay - but i prefer this setup to the stock pads. 

MSR7 is still a tad to bright/edgy - needs to be eq'd about -4 to 5db (relative to the mids) around 9khz

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #764 of 2,803

To me, the msr7 sound full and warm enough to my liking. strings in the headphone are incredibly detailed.

It's up to you though, but I encourage you to try the msr7 for a week through amazon's 30 day trial.

at least, when it gets released.

Apr 29, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #765 of 2,803

That's the department where I'm not in love with the MSR7. The mids. No matter what source I pair them with, the mids of the MSR7 just lacks intimacy and soul. I'm thinking a silver litz cable might resolve this (?). I hope that upgrade won't bring the already peaky treble into 'fatigue' territory. I'll ask Ted Allen soon about a good cable as soon as he ships my SE846 cables. For now, the MSR7 are just stationed as my gaming phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back