Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Apr 1, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #706 of 2,803
I have the NAD HP50 arriving tomorrow. Will spend some time listening to both MSR7 and HP50 and return one of them.

I am having issues with the treble on the MSR7. It sounds like treble is octave higher than should be and slightly tinny. When I listen to K712 and AD900x and then listen to MSR7, sounds as if I'm not getting full sound of treble, just the upper half, sounds almost wrong. Could be position or fit is off, wipp experiment more.

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #708 of 2,803
  Question, just for knowing this. Would you guys prefer the ATH-MSR7 or the H6 when they are at the same price point?
Thanks! 

I own a MSR-7 and auditioned the H6 at a recent meet.
I did a side by side comparison and the MSR-7 sounded better to me.
The overall balance and the way the voices are portraited are just much better than the H6.
It also had better instrument positioning and a tighter, more enjoyable bass.
The H6 seemed a tad V-shaped compared to the MSR-7, and had a clarity and detailed that matched the MSR-7.
But the H6 is more comfortable during the short time I auditioned it.

Overall I think the MSR-7 is a better HP, but the H6 is no slouch either,
it just shows how great the MSR-7 is at its price point as a portable alternative.

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #709 of 2,803
I am thinking the MSR7 is defective because its not balanced and treble too shrill.

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #710 of 2,803
I am thinking the MSR7 is defective because its not balanced and treble too shrill.

Do you have at least 50hrs of burn in time? What is your audio source? Any specific song that gives you a problem?

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #711 of 2,803
Do you have at least 50hrs of burn in time? What is your audio source? Any specific song that gives you a problem?

Don't have 50 hours since its hurting my hearing, sibilance leaves my ears fatigued. Doesn'matter what I use. Laptop, phone or Audio-GD 11. The bass is ok,mids recessed for AT, mids usually forward and lush, its instead has edge of sibilance and thin.

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #712 of 2,803

Don't have 50 hours since its hurting my hearing, sibilance leaves my ears fatigued. Doesn'matter what I use. Laptop, phone or Audio-GD 11. The bass is ok,mids recessed for AT, mids usually forward and lush, its instead has edge of sibilance and thin.

Don't do burn in with headphones on.  Do a free-air burn in, just let it play some track in a loop for a few days non-stop.  They do need burn in.  Regarding sibilance, I'm personally very "allergic" to high frequencies myself, but MSR7 are among the BEST headphones I have in my collection.  They are brighter and were a touch sibilant out of the box, but after burn in it settles down, and now just an amazing smooth-revealing sound.  Also, while you at it with burn in, stretch that headband for a few days :)  Clamping force is not as bad after a few days of stretching.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #713 of 2,803
I have the NAD HP50 arriving tomorrow. Will spend some time listening to both MSR7 and HP50 and return one of them.

I am having issues with the treble on the MSR7. It sounds like treble is octave higher than should be and slightly tinny. When I listen to K712 and AD900x and then listen to MSR7, sounds as if I'm not getting full sound of treble, just the upper half, sounds almost wrong. Could be position or fit is off, wipp experiment more.

These two are top of the list for my first closed cans. Am interested to see which one you keep and why.

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #714 of 2,803
I'm returning the MSR7. MSR7 are more comfortable, I think are lighter than the HP50.  Definitely look better, HP50 are elegant from one angle, ugly from another. 

But the sound.  MSR7 has better bass, more impact, more quantity and hear sub-bass clearer.  But the HP50 has more balanced sound, lusher mids, cleaer mids and rolled off treble without sibilance.  MSR7 causes me to have ear fatigue, HP50 does not, HP50 wins.  Over long period, MSR7 is simply not listenable for me.  I wish that wasn't the case, I'm an Audio Technica fan of their mids/treble and wonderful voices, but MSR7 has sorely disappointed me as being the worst AT headphone I've heard.  AT should return to what they are good at, crystal sparkly treble with enegergized luscious mids.

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #715 of 2,803
I'm returning the MSR7. MSR7 are more comfortable, I think are lighter than the HP50.  Definitely look better, HP50 are elegant from one angle, ugly from another. 

But the sound.  MSR7 has better bass, more impact, more quantity and hear sub-bass clearer.  But the HP50 has more balanced sound, lusher mids, cleaer mids and rolled off treble without sibilance.  MSR7 causes me to have ear fatigue, HP50 does not, HP50 wins.  Over long period, MSR7 is simply not listenable for me.  I wish that wasn't the case, I'm an Audio Technica fan of their mids/treble and wonderful voices, but MSR7 has sorely disappointed me as being the worst AT headphone I've heard.  AT should return to what they are good at, crystal sparkly treble with enegergized luscious mids.

Give the msr7 a but more time to burn in. follow twisters advice first, trust me. I had the same impressions as you in the first 24 hours. I was sorely disappointed and hated the sound that I heard from the audio technicas. Then all of a sudden, the mids were amazing, and the highs were more tolerable.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #716 of 2,803

Give the msr7 a but more time to burn in. follow twisters advice first, trust me. I had the same impressions as you in the first 24 hours. I was sorely disappointed and hated the sound that I heard from the audio technicas. Then all of a sudden, the mids were amazing, and the highs were more tolerable.

Exactly!!!  I'm addicted to MSR7 sound sig
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #717 of 2,803
Anyone compared it against the Bayer T51p? Interested to know cause I did audition the T51p before, I love it and would have gotten it if not for the fact that I got one with a defective band that broke on my 2nd use, had to return it for a refund rather than exchange as this was overseas. Was hoping that this would be a possible alternative to it as the build looks tougher than the T51p.

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #718 of 2,803
Didn't manage to get the anker cables (since I'm in Aus). However, these cables from kencables on ebay work fine as well.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261388731448?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #719 of 2,803
  Anyone compared it against the Bayer T51p? Interested to know cause I did audition the T51p before, I love it and would have gotten it if not for the fact that I got one with a defective band that broke on my 2nd use, had to return it for a refund rather than exchange as this was overseas. Was hoping that this would be a possible alternative to it as the build looks tougher than the T51p.

Doesn't just look it.  It is of very high quality build.  It's one of the pros for the MSR7, beautifully well made, strong where it needs to be.  These look better than Sony MDR1, and have a more confident build feel as well.  I have them both in front of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back