Audio Technica ATH-M50 - What's all the fuss about?
Feb 10, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #76 of 82
Quote:
I have the M50s "white box" and, to my ears, bass is not at all overempowered, nor are the mids quite so recessed (a little bit, not as much as I've read here). They're actually pretty great headphones, and I think most flaming comes from people who has not actually heard them, just like they were getting undeserved hype, now they're getting  undeserved hate.

Their greatest flaw is the harsh highs IMO, but it's not such a problem. I actually find it suprising that people finds the bass overemphasized, sure it's strong, but all my other headphones have even stronger bass.

I guess every ear is absolutely different.

I owned the M50's. Not of my liking. 

Still, as a starter headphone is not bad. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #77 of 82
I have had about 40 hours of music pump through min so far. I do not find the highs harsh in the slightest, they are clear and detailed. Ride cymbals and high hats sound detailed and shimmery. The mids are slightly recessed, but still smooth and enjoyable. The bass is certainly more than ample, but I have only found it overpowering on songs where bass is the main emphasis. Otherwise it is quite well behaved. Overall I am impressed. My only gripe so far is how revealing these phones are when playing low bit rate music, I listen mostly to apple lossless tracks, but when using Pandora or Spotify some of the songs are shrouded in a thin cloud of distortion.

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #78 of 82
I just ordered a pair of the M50's.

I also sent back a pair of the V-Moda Crossfade LP. They had a very muddled sound to my ears.

I Also ordered a couple of budget pairs for comparison, the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S and the Monoprice 8323's.

I'm Looking forward to comparing them.

I Have a pair of Sennheiser PX-100 that I really like and a pair of PX-200 that I feel are too light in the low end for my tastes.

May 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #79 of 82
Quote:
I just ordered a pair of the M50's.

I also sent back a pair of the V-Moda Crossfade LP. They had a very muddled sound to my ears.

I Also ordered a couple of budget pairs for comparison, the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S and the Monoprice 8323's.

I'm Looking forward to comparing them.

I Have a pair of Sennheiser PX-100 that I really like and a pair of PX-200 that I feel are too light in the low end for my tastes.

I'd love to see that comparison.

I have the HTF600 and they are a nice smooth headphone but their flaws show themselves when you compare them in an AB test to higher end cans.

Sep 22, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #81 of 82
I am considering purchasing a pair of these.  I don't really want to spend more than $150 on a nice pair of headphones.  Will I like these? 

Currently I am listening on a pair of Bose OE-2 that I received as a Christmas gift a few years ago.  I intend to keep those for traveling, and have the ATH-M50's for listening at home.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back