Audio-Technica ATH-M50 vs. Grado SR80i vs. other
Feb 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pasiv

New Head-Fier
I've been looking a while for some new headphones. I narrowed it down to these two. If anyone can suggest better, please by all means.

Budget: Preferable under $150 but am will to go no more than $200.

From what I gathered the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s are a versatile in terms of genre. They're also a closed back pair. The Grado SR80is are pretty raved about from what I've read; but, are geared more towards rock & electronic than classical. They're obviously very open as they're an on-ear set.

I'm really not a portable listener, I listen almost exclusively at home.

Preferences:
closed back (preferred) or open
natural sound quality

Listen to (from most-least):
Rock
Metal
Electronic
Ambient
Classical/minimalist

Listen with:
Nuforce Icon uDAC-2
Flac ->Foobar2000
Standard cd quality
Hi-res vinyl & dvd/bd audio

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 6
Heya,

Well, do you want isolation or do you want open air and increased sound stage? You have a decent DAC/AMP so your options are wide.

I would suggest the Shure SRH840 over the M50 if you want a straight neutralish headphone for everything that is closed. But I would probably even push more towards the Beyer DT770 (rock & metal) over them if you want a little more oumph in the low end, more sound stage, and more comfort. But even then, I would even push maybe more towards the DT880 PRO (semi-open or just consider it open) for a neutral approach. Some alternatives that are closed could be the Fischer Audio FA-003 (or the Brainwavz HM5 clone).

Very best,

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
Heya,

Well, do you want isolation or do you want open air and increased sound stage? You have a decent DAC/AMP so your options are wide.

I would suggest the Shure SRH840 over the M50 if you want a straight neutralish headphone for everything that is closed. But I would probably even push more towards the Beyer DT770 (rock & metal) over them if you want a little more oumph in the low end, more sound stage, and more comfort. But even then, I would even push maybe more towards the DT880 PRO (semi-open or just consider it open) for a neutral approach. Some alternatives that are closed could be the Fischer Audio FA-003 (or the Brainwavz HM5 clone).

Very best,

I've heard the argument that closed headphones cannot grant a full sound stage. Haven't chosen a side on that yet.

As for the Shure SRH840 they have pretty solid specs although I haven't seen many recs on them. Which one of the Beyerdynamic DT770s is it? I looked at the Pro version, and they seemed like something I'd be more geared toward. And the DT880 Pros are way to expensive for me.

Where would I even try to buy any of these? Both Beyers are only used on amazon.

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
I've heard the argument that closed headphones cannot grant a full sound stage. Haven't chosen a side on that yet.

As for the Shure SRH840 they have pretty solid specs although I haven't seen many recs on them. Which one of the Beyerdynamic DT770s is it? I looked at the Pro version, and they seemed like something I'd be more geared toward. And the DT880 Pros are way to expensive for me.

Where would I even try to buy any of these? Both Beyers are only used on amazon.

Heya,

Most closed headphones don't have as wide a sound stage as open-air, but there are exceptions. The point however was to figure out if you favor isolation more or if you can go with open-air. As it is, the DT770 PRO would be excellent for you. It has a good sound stage, good isolation, good comfort, good powerful bass. Buying used is a great way to get the most headphone for your money when it comes to hifi. I strongly recommend it unless you're just absolutely against the idea. You can go to the for-sale forum here at Head-Fi and look for some DT770's for even less than on Amazon. I saw 1 or 2 in the $120~150 range already there.

Very best,

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:

Heya,

Most closed headphones don't have as wide a sound stage as open-air, but there are exceptions. The point however was to figure out if you favor isolation more or if you can go with open-air. As it is, the DT770 PRO would be excellent for you. It has a good sound stage, good isolation, good comfort, good powerful bass. Buying used is a great way to get the most headphone for your money when it comes to hifi. I strongly recommend it unless you're just absolutely against the idea. You can go to the for-sale forum here at Head-Fi and look for some DT770's for even less than on Amazon. I saw 1 or 2 in the $120~150 range already there.

Very best,

I'll go either way on isolation or open-air, not a big deal. Checked the for-sale forum, the best was a listing from a few weeks ago at $165. Not really sure right now, I've always preferred to buy new. I'm in no hurry, maybe I'll wait for a good price or listing somewhere on the DT770 Pros; however I'm also still considering the Grados.

Thanks for your help.

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 6
The sr80s are not natural sounding headphones because they are quite colored where they are known to have higher treble. As for the sound stage, it is small; meaning - - - the distance between instruments is small. For comparison: if Sennheiser hd598s scores a 10 in soundstage width, I give the grado sr80s a 3 or 4. My creative aurvana lives gets maybe a 6.5.

The sr80s are good sounding but the grado sound signature isn't for everybody because some find them fatiguing (like me). They do poorly in directional type pc gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back