Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Beyerdynamic DT770 with Scarlett 2i2
Jun 26, 2013 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

StevePhoenix

New Head-Fier
Hi all.

6 months ago I bought a pair of Audio Technica M50s (38Ω) which ever since February I have been combinin with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 bus-powered interface. I highlight the bus-powered part, because it seems to affect how the headphone amp of the interface works (people say externally powered Scarlett phone amps are louder than the bus-powered ones).

Anyhow, the combination works well volume-wise (phone amp knob set to just shy of 1 o'clock), but I recently started spotting problems with their stereo field which has caused my mixes to suffer. To add to that, a teacher at my sound engineering school brought her Beyerdynamic DT770s (250Ω) and I got to like them a lot (more than the M50s). They just sounded "wider". Plus they are really comfy. They are a bit loose bass-wise (M50s have a really tight articulate bass, I give 'em that much), but I don't mind too much.

The problem is my phone amp isn't all that beefy and I'm in no position to buy a dedicated phone amp. Does the 2i2 phone amp suffice for use with the 250Ω DT770s? Bear in mind I'm not into high-volumes and all, but I need to have enough volume going on so I can mix objectively (don't ask how much that is, just not too loud). I also need to have enough room on the volume pot to make things a little bit louder when I want to (nothing too much, think 1-2 notches in a scale of 10). Please, respond only if you have experience with such a setup. I honestly don't care about speculations...

What if I went for the 80Ω DT770s? Would the problem persist?

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 2
The DT770 Pro 80-Ohm are a little easier to drive, over 250-Ohms.
The 80-Ohm are a little more bassy then the 250-Ohm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back