audio-technica ath-m50 or denon ah-d1100
Jan 15, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #16 of 27
Hey, I'm a very long-time lurker, first time poster hoping to steer the OP away from some pain down the road.  There's no denying that the AH-D1100s are just about the most bass-heavy headphones in their price range, but PLEASE save yourself the money from buying them.  They were my first step into the wallet-draining higher-end audio world, and an unfortunate misstep at that.

Regardless of how good or bad people will tell you they sound, there is a very well-documented case of the cheap plastic arm developing cracks and eventually snapping, just from normal use.  As they were my first expensive-ish purchase, I pampered them and never had any accidents with them, and they still broke on me right on top of my head (as I was sitting still, no less).  If you head on over to amazon and read the reviews there, you will find many people like me who have had this exact same problem.

If low-budget bass is your top priority, I would recommend trying out a pair of sony XB500s.  I owned a pair of those for years before donating them to a friend, as my taste in sound evolved to the point where I was looking for something else.  I remember them fondly.  They were very sturdy, and the huge, cushiony earpads were some of the comfiest of any headphone I've ever owned.  The larger drivers are definitely capable of rumbling out some really hefty bass, but don't expect to be impressed by the mids and highs.  They're also quite a bit less expensive than the M50s and 1100s.

Hope that helped :xf_eek:

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #17 of 27
alright, so just to clarity, you'd chose the M50's over the denons?
and which out of the ultrastones and the akg's would you reccomend?
Quote:

Heya,

The COP is not a flagship, for sure. It's a dark headphone, treble is rolled off, so it's quite forgiving of the media you playback. The mids are a little recessed and distant, not the best for listening to vocals and instrumentation, but for electronic music and hip hop it's actually quite fine. The bass is all over the place, it has 4 settings, from none to big booming levels. You can choose where to go with that based on just listening. I would take it over the M50 any day. And especially over the D1100, it's treble makes you want to just claw out your eyes.

Instead of all those, if the COP doesn't sound like something you want to try, I would shift your attention to the Ultrasone HFI 580 or AKG K167/K267, etc.

Also note, you can get any headphone that is at least warm, and simply equalize it to bring out the bass lines to your liking. Just drop the frequencies other than bass, with equalization. Add a little Fiio E6 portable amp (cheap) or something similar and you still get the volume after doing it for a simple fix and good price. Then you can use any headphone that pleases you. The CAL! with this method would be great for it's cost.

Very best,

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:
Hey, I'm a very long-time lurker, first time poster hoping to steer the OP away from some pain down the road.  There's no denying that the AH-D1100s are just about the most bass-heavy headphones in their price range, but PLEASE save yourself the money from buying them.  They were my first step into the wallet-draining higher-end audio world, and an unfortunate misstep at that.

Regardless of how good or bad people will tell you they sound, there is a very well-documented case of the cheap plastic arm developing cracks and eventually snapping, just from normal use.  As they were my first expensive-ish purchase, I pampered them and never had any accidents with them, and they still broke on me right on top of my head (as I was sitting still, no less).  If you head on over to amazon and read the reviews there, you will find many people like me who have had this exact same problem.

If low-budget bass is your top priority, I would recommend trying out a pair of sony XB500s.  I owned a pair of those for years before donating them to a friend, as my taste in sound evolved to the point where I was looking for something else.  I remember them fondly.  They were very sturdy, and the huge, cushiony earpads were some of the comfiest of any headphone I've ever owned.  The larger drivers are definitely capable of rumbling out some really hefty bass, but don't expect to be impressed by the mids and highs.  They're also quite a bit less expensive than the M50s and 1100s.

thanks!

yikes... i didnt know that thanks!

the sony's are discontinued.. and when i went to my local sony store to take a look, i asked for their most bassy headphones, where they handed me the XB800s but yet to no avail... they werent that great

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:
alright, so just to clarity, you'd chose the M50's over the denons?
and which out of the ultrastones and the akg's would you reccomend?

Hey there,

Ill share my opinion. The D1100 is actually not as bad as you may think. They are not terrible, but they are definitely below average in sound quality. The bass imo is very boomy and slow, the mids seem a bit distant (recessed) and the highs are a bit piercing. The M50s are ever so  slightly better in the lows (a bit less boomy), but the mids are even more recessed and the highs are a bit more harsh than the D1100. Detail retrieval is better on the D1100. I love the Ultrasone HFI 580/DJ1, which blows these two headphones out of the water. Everything is much more controlled and is more detailed. Also you can look at the Shure SRH 750DJ, a great bassy sounding headphone.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caessa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find the XB500 to be only bass... A lot of it actually, but thats about it. The rest of the sound just sounds muffled imo. If you're a complete basshead, I understand why the XB500 is liked by many people. The Monoprice 8320 and the Panasonic RP-HTF600 are much better headphones than the Sonys imo, and are even cheaper. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:
I find the XB500 to be only bass... A lot of it actually, but thats about it. The rest of the sound just sounds muffled imo. If you're a complete basshead, I understand why the XB500 is liked by many people. The Monoprice 8320 and the Panasonic RP-HTF600 are much better headphones than the Sonys imo, and are even cheaper. 

Aye, I don't disagree with you. Tis is what the OP is looking for though, hence the recommendation :wink:

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Heya,

I thought it was rather clear, seeing as the Ultrasone HFI 580 and AKG K167 were both listed in the post you quoted when you asked "which ones."

And I would not select the M50 or the D1100 for music listening at this price range. Neither.

Very best,

Well,

Just wanted to say thanks to all you awesome people for helping me out, and a SUPER special thanks to MalVeaux, I'm getting the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros!! :')

MERCI BEAUCOUP!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back