audio-technica ath-m50 or denon ah-d1100
Jan 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

AthleticBass

New Head-Fier
straight up guys, I'm looking for the headphones with the most bass :p I'm torn between these two because i cant chose one, can you guys tell me which one has more/better/punchy-er bass? (like the thump) 

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:
straight up guys, I'm looking for the headphones with the most bass :p I'm torn between these two because i cant chose one, can you guys tell me which one has more/better/punchy-er bass? (like the thump) 

Hands down the Denon!!!

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

I have all of those.

Beyer Custom One Pro beats them both. Open the vents to the 4th setting. It's bassy. Add anything to enhance it and it gets crazy. I use a Fuze (EQ set to drop all frequencies except sub bass of 50hz and below) with a Fiio E11 with EQ2 set. Bass crazy.

Here's what it looks like in Carbon Fiber:

Very best,

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #6 of 27
what was the OP'S original budget?   Someone said in the UK the Denon were going for $50 pounds on sale.  That could be the deal setter if his budget is low...

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:
what was the OP'S original budget?   Someone said in the UK the Denon were going for $50 pounds on sale.  That could be the deal setter if his budget is low...

Sainsburys(a supermarket) sells the D1100 for £39 if you collect in store.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/technology/headphones/124124005_denon_ahd1100_over_ear_headphones.html?

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 27
I have owned an M50 for a week and a half and with consistent use I can tell you that it won't produce near enough bass for a basshead. EQing it for more bass satisfies bass but I've found myself enjoying the stock sound more and more since any kind of bass boost tends to make mids sounds complete garbage at less than 75%+ volume.

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:
Sainsburys(a supermarket) sells the D1100 for £39 if you collect in store.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/technology/headphones/124124005_denon_ahd1100_over_ear_headphones.html?

What's that, like $65 Us?   Sounds like a great buy...

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 27
i have both.  The Dennon is the only headphone I have bought that I wish I had not wasted the money.  I like having different sound signitures, but not muddy sounding headphones.  I would look at the Sony XB series for the same, maybe less, money if you want a bass heavy headphone.

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

I have all of those.

Beyer Custom One Pro beats them both. Open the vents to the 4th setting. It's bassy. Add anything to enhance it and it gets crazy. I use a Fuze (EQ set to drop all frequencies except sub bass of 50hz and below) with a Fiio E11 with EQ2 set. Bass crazy.

Here's what it looks like in Carbon Fiber:

Very best,

*phew* thanks for all the responses guys!

Are the Dennon's actually that terrible? I mean yeah I like bass but if they're THAT bad then... I mean the reason I dont go for beats is because it has bass pretty much nothing else (and besides there are headphones out there with more bass but thats not the point)

I dont plan on getting any amps... just putting that out there :)

Ans MalVeaux, firstly thanks for the detailed response, but i've heard that the beyers are pretty bad on everything else but bass. Yes I know I asked for bass and I am considering these headphones (although I might not seeing I cant find a dealer in Toronto, Ontario) but just out of pure curiosity, is this true?

And on a side note, since you have both the ATs and the Dennons, which would you recommend (out of those two) to a bass head and also which is your favourite?

THANKS GUYS :D
lots of loveee <3 :)

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

*phew* thanks for all the responses guys!

Are the Dennon's actually that terrible? I mean yeah I like bass but if they're THAT bad then... I mean the reason I dont go for beats is because it has bass pretty much nothing else (and besides there are headphones out there with more bass but thats not the point)

I dont plan on getting any amps... just putting that out there :)

Ans MalVeaux, firstly thanks for the detailed response, but i've heard that the beyers are pretty bad on everything else but bass. Yes I know I asked for bass and I am considering these headphones (although I might not seeing I cant find a dealer in Toronto, Ontario) but just out of pure curiosity, is this true?

And on a side note, since you have both the ATs and the Dennons, which would you recommend (out of those two) to a bass head and also which is your favourite?

THANKS GUYS :D
lots of loveee <3 :)

Heya,

The COP is not a flagship, for sure. It's a dark headphone, treble is rolled off, so it's quite forgiving of the media you playback. The mids are a little recessed and distant, not the best for listening to vocals and instrumentation, but for electronic music and hip hop it's actually quite fine. The bass is all over the place, it has 4 settings, from none to big booming levels. You can choose where to go with that based on just listening. I would take it over the M50 any day. And especially over the D1100, it's treble makes you want to just claw out your eyes.

Instead of all those, if the COP doesn't sound like something you want to try, I would shift your attention to the Ultrasone HFI 580 or AKG K167/K267, etc.

Also note, you can get any headphone that is at least warm, and simply equalize it to bring out the bass lines to your liking. Just drop the frequencies other than bass, with equalization. Add a little Fiio E6 portable amp (cheap) or something similar and you still get the volume after doing it for a simple fix and good price. Then you can use any headphone that pleases you. The CAL! with this method would be great for it's cost.

Very best,

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 27
thanks again man!
purely for clarification, would you take the M50's over the denons?

im looking into the ultrastones and akg's right now...

also, which would you recommend out of the ultrastones and akg's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back