Audio-Technica ATH M50 earpads hardening
Jul 13, 2012 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Trance88

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys!
I've started to notice that my earpads aren't as soft as they once were and are starting to get a little leathery on the area that touches my head. What could be causing this and what can I do about it? The headphones are only 2 months old!

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #2 of 5
Thats what happens when you don't clean them after EVERY use (same thing happened to me after about 3 months). Get ready to buy new pads soon cause yours sound like they are ready to start cracking/flaking soon.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 5
I've noticed this as well after just 3 months of use. They're now almost as hard as the stock pads on the SRH-840. Actually worse.
I now can't say they're that comfortable, but luckily the sound hasn't changed.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 5
My earpads became relatively hard not long after I got them. Their softness also varies depending on the temperature of my room, which is weird.
Watching an unboxing video of the M50 had me surprised, because the M50 in the video had such soft earpads. Mine were never so soft, even right when I got them.
I just wish there was a way to get replacement earpads of higher quality, that wouldn't become hardened after just a few months of use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back