Audio-Technica Ath-M50 Drivers
May 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dieded4

New Head-Fier
   Hello, second post on this forum, and I'm in a bit of a pickle. Trying to jump into the world of headphones and hifi, and I've hit wall. I'm a university bound student without a lot of money, but I scrounged up enough to buy a pair ( is it only 1 or is it like buying a pair of shoes? ) of m50's.

I bought it online and shipped it from USA to Canada, even got dinged by customs for some fees, but after burning in for a few hours, one of the earcups stopped working.

Having already become addicted to the sound that I heard when I first tried it, and just being a rather impatient teenager, I wasn't about to wait for another few weeks to pay to ship it back to where I bought it from and for them to replace it, so I did something stupid.

I opened the side that wasn't working and measured tried to see the resistance across the leads. It was fluctuating between infinity to almost zero after a bit of a shake, so that was obviously the problem. I opened the drivers up itself, not knowing I would warp the voice coil and damage the diaphragm, so now I probably won't even be able to exchange it.

Any ideas on how to dig myself out of this hole? I live around Toronto if that helps.

May 17, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 7
Put the ATH-M50s back together like they were before you opened them, contact the retailer) seller and tell them the ATH-M50s are defective, ship them back for replacement or refund, do not tell them you opened the ATH-M50s..

May 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Bump.
Is there anyway I could get my hands on a m50 driver?

From the Audio technica website:
"[size=medium]PARTS:[/size][size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]To check parts availability, price or to order parts, you may email [/size][size=medium]PARTS@ATUS.COM[/size][size=medium] or call Parts at 330-686-2600 ext. 5002. If the line is busy please leave a message. We do get back to you as promptly as possible. "[/size]

[size=medium]I'd start here if you plan to just replace the driver.[/size]

May 17, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 7
Emailed them, they told me $20, asked them how much to ship to canada, and they redirected me to their canadian operations, they said a driver was $60+$10 shipping+$10 administration. Really didn't want to give them that considering ATUS said the price was $20.

Purple, thought about it before, but whats the risk that they'll just refuse? Shipping it there could also cost a bit.

May 17, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Emailed them, they told me $20, asked them how much to ship to Canada, and they redirected me to their Canadian operations, they said a driver was $60+$10 shipping+$10 administration. Really didn't want to give them that considering ATUS said the price was $20.

Purple, thought about it before, but whats the risk that they'll just refuse? Shipping it there could also cost a bit.

As long as the ATH-M50s do not look like the cans have been opened and you do not tell them, I think you'll be ok with the retailer/seller.
The retailer just going to ship them back to Audio Technica, then they get shipped to the USA repair shop.
It's up to whatever you want to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back