Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - Cord Durability
Jul 17, 2012 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ElectroPulse

New Head-Fier
Hello, all!

For a couple days I was considering the Koss Pro DJ100 (well, the Tony Bennett version), but I stopped by Best Buy last night to try them out... Not enough bass, in my opinion. Anyway, I have been looking around and the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s seem really nice. I've read that they are nice and bassy, have good build quality, and great sound quality.

Anyway, one of the reasons I was considering getting the Tony Bennett version of the DJ100 was that, based on reading, the cable is one of the most vulnerable parts of headphones.

So, here is my question: How durable is the cord of the ATH-M50? What part of the cord actually breaks? I am assuming it is the part that connects to the headphones, but since I've only owned a couple pairs of headphones (none of which had the cable break... they just stopped playing sound in one ear, or something else), I am just wanting to confirm this.

I saw a mod someone did (here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/539017/ath-m50-cord-replacement/15#post_7541965) to install a femal plug where the cord attaches to the M50. I am not really interested in modding headphones before they go out of warranty, but once they are out of warranty I might consider it. If, after the warranty goes out, the cable gets broken, am I correct in assuming that the damage inflicted usually wouldn't be enough that this mod couldn't be used? (reword... If they break, can I use this mod to fix them? Or does stuff inside usually get broken when the cable breaks?) (sorry for the dumb questions... would just like to confirm stuff)

Also, is accidental cord breakge covered by Audio-Technica's warranty?

Thanks!

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 6
Indeed its a strong cable, im not sure if its covered by AT warranty. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 6
Alright, thanks for the replies! My ATH-M50s came in a couple days ago... Loving it so far :) (IMHO, the bass could be a little more concusive, though. Still, they're great headphones! After some use they may loosen up some).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back