Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Amp
Aug 20, 2010 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

REDH0RN

100+ Head-Fier
I recently fell into this headphone enjoyment very hard. Seems I have my portable bases mostly covered and am now seeking a headphone / amp combo for home use. They will be feed from a older 20GB iPod running 192kbs (until I can update) AAC's. Because I have varied musical tastes and the M50's have been highly rated and touted as versatile every where I look this is my starting point. So far an iBasso CB-05 is my sole means to connect. What amps are great performing and good values within my 200 - $450 target range? One that could be used out and about might be nice. Dual outputs would be a plus but not absolutely necessary. Sound quality would trump one without over one with at same price point. Same goes for one that is portable and one that is not.

The reason I am willing to spend more on an amp is because I have a pair of HD-595's that are not currently available to use. Eventually I will put them back in play so an amp that will work favorably with them is also desirable.

Aug 21, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 6
A $450 amp budget for entry level headphones that don't strictly require special amping seems kind of much. But ignoring that, I would suggest amps that work well with low impedance headphones. Something with not too much volume gain, so that you can actually turn the volume knob without blowing out your ears. Headamp Pico Slim would be great for that. M^3 (or Mini^3, if you want it portable) built with a very low gain setting should work well too.

But really, I would suggest using that $450 budget to split between new headphones specifically for home use, and a DAC/amp combo unit that you can hook up directly to the computer. A nice DAC out of the computer will make for a much larger improvement in sound than any amp on an iPod.

Amping the M50 does improve its sound. But out of my iPod, the difference in using an E1 amp ($25) and a Mini^3 amp ($150) on the M50 is not huge. Even though Mini^3 is a much better amp than the E1. Now if you are talking about DT880, K701, or HD600, then having the right amp will make a world of difference.

From what I've read the HD595 does pretty well without special amping too. Not too familiar with it though.

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks Yoga

Basically where I am is contemplating the purchase of the M50's for home use. Closed back for late night night sessions is appealing. Almost all my gear is in storage (computers, 595's, CD's, etc...) and will not be available for a while. you're right the Senn's actually were fine out of sound card and headphone output on receiver. I guess I am mentally trying to get the best sound out of the phones and over thinking a bit. The up to $450 now appears lopsided and thought along the lines of not having or wanting to upgrade down the road. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back