Audio Technica ATH-L3000, the only High-End AT?
Aug 8, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #16 of 52
After hearing Ironbut's R2R/Zana/AD2000 rig, I have no doubt that the AD2000s are capable of being high-end. I'd be interested in hearing about more "ultimate" AD2000 rigs to see what people are pairing with them. I'd heard them a couple times prior to the Ironbut experience, but never thought of them other than as good cans. That experience opened my eyes, or rather, my ears
smile.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After hearing Ironbut's R2R/Zana/AD2000 rig, I have no doubt that the AD2000s are capable of being high-end. I'd be interested in hearing about more "ultimate" AD2000 rigs to see what people are pairing with them. I'd heard them a couple times prior to the Ironbut experience, but never thought of them other than as good cans. That experienced opened my eyes, or rather, my ears
smile.gif

Have you ever listened to them on your own rig? I bet your SP can do them justice too. It'd be interesting reading your comments comparing the AD2000 with the R10 or the L3000 if you've listened to them in good conditions.

Rgrds

Aug 8, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #18 of 52
I have and with an Opus 21 as a source. I remembering liking them, but not being blown away. The situation was less than ideal though, as a bunch of pita's such as jp11801, tyrion, and others were being their annoying selves and hovering all around. Iirc, they'd been brewing their own beer and liking it. I've enjoyed the L3000s every time I've heard them, but have never listened with my own rig.

Aug 8, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #19 of 52
^ LOL I'm sure those were worse than show and meeting conditions
confused_face.gif
Perhaps those nasty boys impeded you to fully appreciate the AD2000's virtues at their best. Or it was just a matter of amp/cans matching, even tubes choice. Although an amp driving R10s to full satisfaction is probable capable to drive about anything.

Rgrds

Aug 8, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #20 of 52
I prefer the W10VTG over the L3000.
I find the L3000 a bit congested. Like they've cought a cold.
W10VTG have a much more aluring sound and far better soundstage.
A matter of personal taste though...

Aug 8, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the W10VTG over the L3000.
I find the L3000 a bit congested. Like they've cought a cold.
W10VTG have a much more aluring sound and far better soundstage.
A matter of personal taste though...

Interesting. I had yesterday that feeling of congested sound, until I realized that moving slightly the cups to make the drivers fitting completely aligned to my ear canals, made it disappear. IME some cans are quite inmune to positioning, others work better -for my taste of course- being positioned straight to the canal, and others benefit from moving them a bit forward and downwards from the ear canal entrance. I suppose this must largely depend on each one's ears shape and size.

Rgrds

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. I had yesterday that feeling of congested sound, until I realized that moving slightly the cups to make the drivers fitting completely aligned to my ear canals, made it disappear. IME some cans are quite inmune to positioning, others work better -for my taste of course- being positioned straight to the canal, and others benefit from moving them a bit forward and downwards from the ear canal entrance. I suppose this must largely depend on each one's ears shape and size.

Rgrds

I think the shape of your ears and head can make a big difference in how you perceive sound.
The fit issues of the W5000 and Qualias are well known, but I think there may be actually a lot more differences due to fit issues than we are actually aware of. Just notice how a change of pads makes a hughe difference.

Aug 9, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #23 of 52
If I had to pick only two AT headphones (based on my personal preferece, disregarding price) out of those I've owned so far, it would be L3000 and AD2000. I hope it never comes down to choosing only one, this would be unbearably tough
wink.gif
That alone probably says all you need to know
smily_headphones1.gif

The AD2000 is more lively, energetic and crisp, the L3000 is more relaxed, darker and a bit more refined. Their soundstage dimensions are comparable, width is similar, but there is more depth in the L3000. Probably an effect that can be attributed to the L3000's relativ upper midrange recession.

The thing with the L3000 is that it's a very good headphone, just nowhere near worth its price tag for sound quality alone. To me, it's only slightly better than the other AT cans I own. Yes, it's signature is unique and that alone makes it a keeper. BUT...
I've recently added an A900Ti to my collection and its shocking that the A900Ti can actually sort of keep up... it has a similar tonal balance, albeit with more bass (especially midbass) and highs. This naturally leads to ever-so-slightly recessed mids, but not to the point that there's veil or they feel mid-fi'ish.
The A900Ti is totally underrated around here... the thing is, AT shouldn't have named them A900Ti but rather A1500Ti, A2000Ti or something. I think many people were intially put off by the idea of yet another A900-rehash, in this case, its name is more a burden than it does the product any good. Regardless of all that, the A900Ti is sold out, so mission accomplished AT
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo
I had yesterday that feeling of congested sound

The L3000 used to make me feel nauseus when I first got it. It must have had something to do with its bassy signature and its very intimate soundstaging. Ever since I applied the Pad Mod, this sort of tiring effect has disappeared.

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pad-Mod on the L3000? I haven't read about it yet. Is it reversible and easy to implement?

Rgrds

There you go

Yes, it's very easy and also reversible. I suggest you try experimenting a bit with the right amount of padding and the positioning of the "distancers".

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-ban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There you go

Yes, it's very easy and also reversible. I suggest you try experimenting a bit with the right amount of padding and the positioning of the "distancers".

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try. Maybe I find the same hollowness that nc8000 reports, since once I place the drivers properly aligned, I don't find that congestion, but it's worth experimenting.

Rgrds

Aug 10, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #27 of 52
The AD2000 are absolutely high-end, as others have noted. Hints of this are made apparent when they are run out of my Pico, but at the norcal mini-meet today, I saw them truly shine. Sourced by emm Labs gear, and amped by the EC Balancing Act (albeit in SE configuration), these headphones were transcendent. I was not exactly surprised, having first heard their high-end potential exposed at the June norcal meet, but what I heard today was special. Worthy of being the centerpiece of a high-end rig.

Aug 10, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-ban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've recently added an A900Ti to my collection and its shocking that the A900Ti can actually sort of keep up... it has a similar tonal balance, albeit with more bass (especially midbass) and highs. This naturally leads to ever-so-slightly recessed mids, but not to the point that there's veil or they feel mid-fi'ish.
The A900Ti is totally underrated around here... the thing is, AT shouldn't have named them A900Ti but rather A1500Ti, A2000Ti or something. I think many people were intially put off by the idea of yet another A900-rehash, in this case, its name is more a burden than it does the product any good. Regardless of all that, the A900Ti is sold out, so mission accomplished AT
smily_headphones1.gif

The L3000 used to make me feel nauseus when I first got it. It must have had something to do with its bassy signature and its very intimate soundstaging. Ever since I applied the Pad Mod, this sort of tiring effect has disappeared.

I must respectfully disagree. I wouldn't say the A900Ti has more bass. The bass on the L3000 is quite present and goes deeper than in any other headphone. Besides it is effortless, detailed, textured and almost speaker-like. The one on the A900Ti is much boomier and mid-fi. The bass in the A900Ti is more mid-bass than real bass (as you were hinting too).

On the other hand I can see why you might like it because it has a fun sound signature, which is an improvement over the A900 (and great looks). Still, I had to let them go in the end. They weren't a keeper for me.

The L3000 as a somewhat claustrophobic sound signature (perhaps its major flaw), especially if you listen to it right after using an open one (or if you are used to open headphones) but it gets much better after 20-40 mins, once your brain gets used to it (I'm not defending the L3000, I'm just stating that this feeling fades away). Besides, at very low to low volumes the can doesn't seem that "closed".

That Pad Mod is interesting. Thanks for the tip. I won't mess with mine as they are perfect for what I need them (I have other cans for more open sound), but still is always good to know. Cheers.

Aug 10, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #29 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must respectfully disagree. I wouldn't say the A900Ti has more bass. The bass on the L3000 is quite present and goes deeper than in any other headphone. Besides it is effortless, detailed, textured and almost speaker-like. The one on the A900Ti is much boomier and mid-fi. The bass in the A900Ti is more mid-bass than real bass (as you were hinting too).

I don't hear that mid-fi-ness. The A900Ti's bass is extremely well articulated, extends deep and has great layering. The bass on the L3000 is great too, but in a different way. Also, to my ears, the L3000 doesn't extend awfully low. The O2 for example had heaps more deep bass, the L3000 more kickbass. Maybe it's also an effect of the pad mod.

Quote:

On the other hand I can see why you might like it because it has a fun sound signature, which is an improvement over the A900 (and great looks). Still, I had to let them go in the end. They weren't a keeper for me.

The thing is, I still prefer the L3000 due to its more forward mids. Despite all that, technically, I'd rate the A900Ti very highly.

Quote:

The L3000 as a somewhat claustrophobic sound signature (perhaps its major flaw), especially if you listen to it right after using an open one (or if you are used to open headphones) but it gets much better after 20-40 mins, once your brain gets used to it (I'm not defending the L3000, I'm just stating that this feeling fades away). Besides, at very low to low volumes the can doesn't seem that "closed".

I know the L3000 quite well, it's been almost 8 months since I got them. I tried to like them stock, but every time I found myself turning down the volume massively, eventually stopping listening to music, because I was simply feeling more and more uneasy. The mod made them much easier to listen to.

Aug 11, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #30 of 52
Thanks for your interesting comments big-ban. It is a bit odd that you don't find the L3000 and the A900Ti as far away as I experienced they are. Perhaps my A900Ti was faulty or (let's hope not) there is something not quite right with your L3000.

Well, if you are saying that the L3000 are not going that awfully low there is definitely something wrong with them but hopefully it will be just because of the mod (hence, reversible). I have quite a few headphones and nothing goes as low as the L3000 (not even close). And that happens with both of my L3000s (one being L3000G, which I would say that it doesn't change things that much). Perhaps the mod that is giving you a less closed sound would mess with the low bass as side effect? Could you remember if you were getting lower bass in stock form? (perhaps too much to ask/answer by memory, I know).

My comment regarding the low volume tip was more for all the forum. I'm sure you would pick up on that as owner of one. Thankfully in my case I'm mostly using it by night at very low volume so it works great for me but I can understand your frustration if you find the sound too closed and still want to enjoy mid-to-high volume levels.

As a side note I would suggest you to try the PS-1s someday. Based on your comments you might like them. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back