Audio Technica ATH-L3000, the only High-End AT?
Aug 6, 2008 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Cool_Torpedo

1000+ Head-Fier
Some of you may recall a thread that I opened a few days ago commenting about my purchasing a pair of L3000 to Lobstersan, who has become or in the process of becoming a MOT since he started his own bussiness. He's set up an interesting service to get japanese rarities from their auctions sites, and also brand new gear. Check his site KuboTEN were you interested. Craig offers a great service and I only have nice things to speak of him
biggrin.gif

Well, let's get into the bussiness. I've just received the L3000 at my place. This must be a new World record since they just took 3 days to get from Japan to Madrid (Spain) and two of those were Saturday and Sunday, and what's most surprising, they cleared Customs in just 24 hours. So in just five days I got my phones
L3000.gif

I've just managed to listen to one disc, but being it one of my long term mates, about 30 years of friendship are binding us, I think it's good enough to get the sound of any cans or piece of kit I drop into my system.

The initial impressions are very good. The L3000 aren't perfect -I didn't expect it nevertheless- but do some things way better than I foresaw, and for sure they belong to the High-End category. I suppose I can't say anything about them that's not been already posted many times. So, the big question, no other headphone by Audio Technica have the features to qualify as High-End?
I must say that these are my first Audio Technicas, so I have no idea how other cans from this manufacturer sound.

Rgrds

Aug 7, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 52
I only think the L3000s fit my definition. I really like w5000s but only out of a very few amps... and the ad2000 is pretty awesome maybe more awesome. The AD2000s out of the Eddie Current Balancing Act prototype and Filburt's modded 90s dac was one of the best sounding rigs I've ever heard.

AD2000s out of the Zana Deux and Ironbut's Reel to Reel set up was another "best sounding rigs I've ever heard" types of set ups.

But eh... cost is something I definitely consider when I consider something high end even though its not the only thing and so yeah only L3000 for me.

The headphone is pretty money. It has excellent bass with a good quantity, tone, extension, decay. It even has this little reverb that you might get in a real room that's pretty awesome. The midrange I personally like out of the right amp. The highs meh not bad but not terrible imo. I decided to sell mine though and I don't regret it.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 52
The W11jpn somehow is the most alluring AT of the bunch that I've heard. It captures the essence of the fabled AT woody sound, if there is such a thing, without having some of the frequency anomalies of the other models (ie, bright highs, tilted upper mids, over-powering lows, etc.). IMO, it's truly a high-end phone, but more for its musicality and gorgeous midrange than for its detail. It may not be quite the giant that the L3000 is, but at a fraction of the price, its virtues bring it pretty close.

Aug 7, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 52
i owned an L3000 for a while and have written positive impressions about it elsewhere. i would definitely consider it a high end headphone. i have also heard most of the other woody ATH headphones and all seem to display an overt coloration or in the case of the W5000 an unpleasant treble spike (not to mention its somewhat thin sound and weak bass). in contrast i thought the L3000 had a very good tone and timbre to it. the sound was not as neutral as something like the HP1000, but i found it to be natural nonetheless. add to this very good imaging, great bass and texture and you have the makings of a class-A headphone. as a negative, the sound stage was only of average size and it somewhat lacked sparkle in the highs. this made it less than ideal for classical, but for rock and jazz i certainly used it in preference to all my other dynamics. are any of the other ATHs on the same level as the L3000. i don't think so. of course, i can't be sure without further auditioning, but i suspect that the L3000 may be the best of the bunch.

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 52
totally agree with vcoheda. I am listening L3000 as I'm writing this post.

L3000 is definitely short on transparency/sparkle department, but compensates with tonal balance, wonderful bass, completely nonfatigue listening experience.

High end? you bet!!!

Aug 8, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 52
where did you get the notion that the l3k is the only high end model? while i haven't heard the other ones mentioned, w2k2 is up there with rs-1 in context of what i consider high end which is how well the fones portray music. most other people probably refer to high end as how much exaggeration they can achieve of detail/attack. that's fine but i could care less about that aspect.

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
totally agree with vcoheda. I am listening L3000 as I'm writing this post.

L3000 is definitely short on transparency/sparkle department, but compensates with tonal balance, wonderful bass, completely nonfatigue listening experience.

High end? you bet!!!

x2

even though I really like the transparency and the sparkle of W5000, I cannot stop listening to L3000 when I have a chance. Its tone and bass are absolutely addictive to me.
icon10.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #10 of 52
For finish and build you'd have to put all the AT woodies into a high end category.
For sq of the AT's I've heard I'd put the AD2000 ahead of the L3000.
I guess price alone, which for alot of people is the first pointer to high end, gets the L3000 into the club.

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #11 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For finish and build you'd have to put all the AT woodies into a high end category.
For sq of the AT's I've heard I'd put the AD2000 ahead of the L3000.
I guess price alone, which for alot of people is the first pointer to high end, gets the L3000 into the club.

So in your opinion, sound-wise the L3000 aren't "that High-end", but the AD2000 definitely are?

Rgrds

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 52
There are a number of AT cans that are high end, the L3000s, 2002s, 11s and the AD2000s. Of those I have heard the 3000s, 2002s and ad2000s and they are all excellent headphones but each may appeal to different users. I would consider each high end and representative of the best headphones have to offer based on what I look for in a headphone. Please keep in mind I own a fairly high end amp that provides plenty of power and it opens up most headphones.
I may like the AD2000s the best of the lot but I need to do a better shootout of the three. One thing to remember is if you want a high end headphone to truly sing you need to match it to an amp of high quality as well.

Aug 8, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a number of AT cans that are high end, the L3000s, 2002s, 11s and the AD2000s. Of those I have heard the 3000s, 2002s and ad2000s and they are all excellent headphones but each may appeal to different users. I would consider each high end and representative of the best headphones have to offer based on what I look for in a headphone. Please keep in mind I own a fairly high end amp that provides plenty of power and it opens up most headphones.
I may like the AD2000s the best of the lot but I need to do a better shootout of the three. One thing to remember is if you want a high end headphone to truly sing you need to match it to an amp of high quality as well.

Yep, a great amp is mandatory to carry any worth headphones comparisons. IMHO also having lived with the phones for some time is very important too. One needs to listen to several music styles at length, full pieces, to really know the important features of the phones. Of course only if the cans have some interest, to know some phones suck you just need a few seconds listening to some music you know well.

Rgrds

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So in your opinion, sound-wise the L3000 aren't "that High-end", but the AD2000 definitely are?

Rgrds

MO only
smile.gif

I'm always aware that the next persions listening experience is going to be totally different to mine so I try to never deal in absolutes.
Although I a had a loan of the L3000 for some weeks the amps I had to hand at that stage were different as were various sources which could all make some difference although probably not change the fundamental sound. The owner of the L3000s was also unimpressed selling them on for a top Stax setup.
As you can see I'm an AT fan and if the L3000 was available again at a reasonable price then I'd certainly entertain a pair but at their price point now I dont feel what I've heard from them could justify the outlay.

I'd love to try the W2002. To me on looks alone they qualify as high end and if that's being shallow charge me as guilty.
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #15 of 52
^ Hehehe, having listened the L3000 a bit more I can understand someone trading them for a top notch Stax rig.

I'm starting to develope some interest for the AD2000
biggrin.gif
LOL However I feel these L3000 are keepers too.

Rgrds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back