Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Aug 8, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #482 of 1,104
i have a 5 years old triple fi, and im searching for a upgrade(just to change), what you think about, i`m in love with the im70 and the im03

Well I dont have any of latest ath IM series so I really cant help you ir comment......but these are good sounding IEMs is what I can say for now,price wise.....

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #484 of 1,104

Sorry not to make anyone one here mad, but the IM70 isn't worth spending the extra bucks on for stuff like cables unless it breaks.  It is what it is.   A good earphone at a good price.  Spending money on cables is for much higher quality earphones like the IM03 or ckr9 and westones wr.

Not mad, but I personally didn't care for the stiff cable ends meant to shape to behind-the-ear cable path.  Just felt awkward to me and hard to keep from tangling.  I found a set of aftermarket cables on eBay for $20 which solved the problem.  Now if they break, I always have the original cables to fall back on.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #485 of 1,104
  Not mad, but I personally didn't care for the stiff cable ends meant to shape to behind-the-ear cable path.  Just felt awkward to me and hard to keep from tangling.  I found a set of aftermarket cables on eBay for $20 which solved the problem.  Now if they break, I always have the original cables to fall back on.

Yeah, same here, i hate the ear guide that the original cable has, it feels awkward, and the housing doesn't feel right. I tried using a different cable and it was a very good improvement. So i ordered a new aftermarket cable, just because it has better ear guides than the original. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #486 of 1,104
Well if you're buying a cable that's less than the cost of the IM70 I think that's ok.  There's cables out there that some have bought that are nearly twice the price of the IM70.  I would have bought new earphones instead.  I guess my rule is not to exceed the cost of the IEM when buying a cable.

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #487 of 1,104
  Well if you're buying a cable that's less than the cost of the IM70 I think that's ok.  There's cables out there that some have bought that are nearly twice the price of the IM70.  I would have bought new earphones instead.  I guess my rule is not to exceed the cost of the IEM when buying a cable.

There are cables costing $1,000 US Dollars.

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #489 of 1,104
Audiophile cables, an interesting question.

Don't know if these would qualify as "audiophile" cables, but at least they look more comfortable than the stock cable. At least for me, couldn't care less if these "open up the soundstage" or "bring more sparkle"... If they are more comfortable, i'll use them. I'm a firm believer that cables don't make THAT much of a difference, and most definetely don't need "burn-in" (no mechanical or electrical sweetspot, it's just a cable), but when a cable is really, really bad, it does make difference (i.e. stock cable for the HD600 vs a better cable, or the stock cable of the HD650).

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #490 of 1,104
Don't know if these would qualify as "audiophile" cables, but at least they look more comfortable than the stock cable. At least for me, couldn't care less if these "open up the soundstage" or "bring more sparkle"... If they are more comfortable, i'll use them. I'm a firm believer that cables don't make THAT much of a difference, and most definetely don't need "burn-in" (no mechanical or electrical sweetspot, it's just a cable), but when a cable is really, really bad, it does make difference (i.e. stock cable for the HD600 vs a better cable, or the stock cable of the HD650).

Caveat emptor

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #492 of 1,104
What do you prefer, im70 or tf10? Personal opinion, can anyone compare the two?

One has 2 dynamic drivers and the other has three BA Drivers. One sits in ear more comfortable and the other hangs out from the ear. One is very old and discontinued and the other is new and fresh. One is very affordable (New one) the other costs a bit but that does not mean it is better.

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #493 of 1,104
  One has 2 dynamic drivers and the other has three BA Drivers. One sits in ear more comfortable and the other hangs out from the ear. One is very old and discontinued and the other is new and fresh. One is very affordable (New one) the other costs a bit but that does not mean it is better.

i want to know about the sound, i already have a tf10 but i want to change, my tf10 is 5 years old( and i will sell anyway), i have a pair of closed back headphones, but i always have a iem

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #494 of 1,104
  i want to know about the sound, i already have a tf10 but i want to change, my tf10 is 5 years old( and i will sell anyway), i have a pair of closed back headphones, but i always have a iem

The IM70 is a big improvement over the TF10. The Bass is wider and deeper and you can feel the bass. The Mids are clear and not too forwards and the treble goes pretty high without getting too high. I like the IM70 as much as many custom made earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back