Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Dec 30, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #106 of 1,104
  Yeah, definitely a nice upgrade. The best place to purchase them would be Amazon Japan and have Tenso ship to you.  

CDjapan is also an option and better one at that I believe. the price seems lower there..

CDjapan is great these were my first purchase from them best price and secure delivery
If you are paying with PayPal delivery is faster if the funds come from the PayPal account, if the funds come from a bank account or credit card via Pay Pal there is a wait for the funds to clear
Plus I can't stop buying stuff from CDjapan so watch out for that

Thanks a lot guys! I think I will buy from CDJapan since they ship it directly to Brazil! Really excited to hear this IEM, hopefully customs won't hold my package for too long!

EdIT: Just ordered. Thanks again guys!

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #107 of 1,104

Thanks a lot guys! I think I will buy from CDJapan since they ship it directly to Brazil! Really excited to hear this IEM, hopefully customs won't hold my package for too long!

EdIT: Just ordered. Thanks again guys!

only if customs is a girl, nicholasbrg? And hopefully she knows you?! :wink:

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #108 of 1,104
Hey IEmagnet01 do you still enjoy your IM50 if I remember correct?

Jan 1, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #109 of 1,104
Hi all,

My last IEM was a JVC FXZ200, which sadly died on me last week. As such, I'm in the market for a new dynamic driver based IEM and I've narrowed my choices to two - I can get a second-hand IE80 or a brand new IM70 (for cheaper!)

Which of the two would you recommend - based on pure SQ alone - IE80 or IM70? I like listening to orchestral pieces, and Yanni - particularly Live at the Acropolis if that gives any indication - and I like bass, controlled and not muddy and/or excessive. Balance to me is pretty important, with a little emphasis on the bass region.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 1, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #110 of 1,104
  Hey IEmagnet01 do you still enjoy your IM50 if I remember correct?

don't have them, but I'm thinking about the IM70 as a possibility?

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #111 of 1,104
  Hi all,

My last IEM was a JVC FXZ200, which sadly died on me last week. As such, I'm in the market for a new dynamic driver based IEM and I've narrowed my choices to two - I can get a second-hand IE80 or a brand new IM70 (for cheaper!)

Which of the two would you recommend - based on pure SQ alone - IE80 or IM70? I like listening to orchestral pieces, and Yanni - particularly Live at the Acropolis if that gives any indication - and I like bass, controlled and not muddy and/or excessive. Balance to me is pretty important, with a little emphasis on the bass region.

Thanks in advance!

FXZ200 is a triple driver IEM, and IM70 is a dual driver IEM, while the IE80 is a single wideband IEM, so it's up to you. They are all very different sound signature wise, with the least amount of detail and biggest bass coming from the IE80, but the IE80 has a huge soundstage. The IM70 I imagine will have more detail, more controlled bass, and probably smoother over all? 

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #112 of 1,104
  don't have them, but I'm thinking about the IM70 as a possibility?

Mine is coming tomorrow I guess. They are already at the post office and you know they don't work today. I will probably get it tomorrow. I will share my early impressions when I get my hands on it.

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #113 of 1,104
I'm trying to decide between the VSonic GR07 Mk2 and either the ATH-IM50 or IM70 to replace my Koss Portapro.  I know the drivers are different and give a bit of a different sound signature, but I like what I'm hearing about the quality of sound coming from both of these.  If anyone has a comparison between those, that would be awesome.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #114 of 1,104
I'm trying to decide between the VSonic GR07 Mk2 and either the ATH-IM50 or IM70 to replace my Koss Portapro.  I know the drivers are different and give a bit of a different sound signature, but I like what I'm hearing about the quality of sound coming from both of these.  If anyone has a comparison between those, that would be awesome.

Well the VSonic's have a lush detailed sound, with lightweight bass. They need a bass boost to even get close to the PortaPros,but are technically superior, vastly superior to the PortaPros, but maybe not as "fun" sounding compared. Still the GR07's are a great IEM and I enjoyed them. I hear the IM70 has more bass than the IM50, so you might want to lean towards the Im70 to get a sound that's close to those PortaPros? Anyone else agree?

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #115 of 1,104
Well the VSonic's have a lush detailed sound, with lightweight bass. They need a bass boost to even get close to the PortaPros,but are technically superior, vastly superior to the PortaPros, but maybe not as "fun" sounding compared. Still the GR07's are a great IEM and I enjoyed them. I hear the IM70 has more bass than the IM50, so you might want to lean towards the Im70 to get a sound that's close to those PortaPros? Anyone else agree?

Yeah, I've been reading up on a set of IEMs to see what I think would fit my taste.  I've always disliked the way IEMs fit (they tend to fall out of one of my ears), but my friend just got some Shure SE215s (I think) for Christmas and I love the over the ear fit of those things.  What I didn't like was the sound they were pumping out though.  Day 1 they wowed me, but it's not something I'd like to own.  Maybe after some burn in, if you believe in that sort of thing, they will improve.

So, now I'm looking at IEMs to provide me with sound on the go.  I've love my PortaPros, but they have been stepped on (my fault) and there is some rattling in the left driver, so I'd like to replace them.  I'm leaning toward the VSonics since they are popular here and seem to have the sound signature and soundstage (for an IEM) that I'd like.  However, the ATH-IM70s seems to be slightly different yet just as good as well as cheaper.  Also, I'm not too keen on the super flashy red on the IM70s...but I can deal with that if I get the sound I want/like.

Also, I think I can deal with lightweight bass.  Bass isn't the #1 thing on my list for sound.  I've LOVED my first pair of entry level cans, my dear Senn HD555 with the plastic grate removal mod.  Not the heaviest bass around for sure and I doubt the VSonics or the ATs are that light on the bass.

Anyway, some guidance on that showdown would be much appreciated.

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #116 of 1,104
  Yeah, I've been reading up on a set of IEMs to see what I think would fit my taste.  I've always disliked the way IEMs fit (they tend to fall out of one of my ears), but my friend just got some Shure SE215s (I think) for Christmas and I love the over the ear fit of those things.  What I didn't like was the sound they were pumping out though.  Day 1 they wowed me, but it's not something I'd like to own.  Maybe after some burn in, if you believe in that sort of thing, they will improve.

So, now I'm looking at IEMs to provide me with sound on the go.  I've love my PortaPros, but they have been stepped on (my fault) and there is some rattling in the left driver, so I'd like to replace them.  I'm leaning toward the VSonics since they are popular here and seem to have the sound signature and soundstage (for an IEM) that I'd like.  However, the ATH-IM70s seems to be slightly different yet just as good as well as cheaper.  Also, I'm not too keen on the super flashy red on the IM70s...but I can deal with that if I get the sound I want/like.

Also, I think I can deal with lightweight bass.  Bass isn't the #1 thing on my list for sound.  I've LOVED my first pair of entry level cans, my dear Senn HD555 with the plastic grate removal mod.  Not the heaviest bass around for sure and I doubt the VSonics or the ATs are that light on the bass.

Anyway, some guidance on that showdown would be much appreciated.

Well that narrows it for me if I was recommending an IEM with your needs, which would be the IM50. It's got less bass than the IM70 (more balanced), but still a really popular buy. The color isn't red, but the style is like the Shure IEM, so that might help narrow it further for you?

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #117 of 1,104

I don't have the Portapro, but I do have the Sportapro, ksc-35 and ksc-75. I think the portapro comparison would be close to the ksc-75. The IM70 is more detailed, clearer and much better controlled in the treble region (smoother as well). IM70 has a higher overall bass quantity and quality compared to ksc-75 but has a slightly less exciting sound (more mature?
redface.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back