Audio Technica ATH-ES7?
Feb 1, 2006 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

EdipisReks

Banned
the remarks in the latest NYC meet thread have me interested in these cans, as i've been wanting a nice (as in nicer than portapro) portable headphone that doesn't require the whole etymotic rigamarole. what is the general sound signature, and how is the isolation?

Feb 1, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 22
http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/prod...p/ath-es7.html

The cups are actually a mirror finish.

Isolation? Better than open cans, not as good as a HD280. You can't hear music coming out tho - this seems to be the level of isolation for all AT closed cans, even the woodies.

Sound Quality? Better than KSC-35, on PURE memory I would say on par with a MS-1, but you'll pay 50 bucks more to have it be a little more practical on the go, and closed (and prettier, like all AT cans). You really don't need an amp with these either, but they will improve with one. Nice and clean and resolving enough to distinguish subtleties between portable amps - not one-note at all. Can be punchy too when needed, and the circumaural nature lets you capture some nice bass if the rig is capable of it. The best thing I can say about it is that nothing stood out as being Wrong-sounding with it anywhere, tho it didn't WOW you in any area either - but for $150, what does? And other cans at that price definitely have some letdowns, like rolled off highs or bass or wimpy impact, etc.

Wasn't listening for soundstage so I can't comment.

btw, did you hear that cover of The Decemberists covering Human Behavior by Bjork? Pretty groovy.

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/prod...p/ath-es7.html

The cups are actually a mirror finish.

Isolation? Better than open cans, not as good as a HD280. You can't hear music coming out tho - this seems to be the level of isolation for all AT closed cans, even the woodies.

Sound Quality? Better than KSC-35, on PURE memory I would say on par with a MS-1, but you'll pay 50 bucks more to have it be a little more practical on the go, and closed (and prettier, like all AT cans). You really don't need an amp with these either, but they will improve with one. Nice and clean and resolving enough to distinguish subtleties between portable amps - not one-note at all. Can be punchy too when needed, and the circumaural nature lets you capture some nice bass if the rig is capable of it. The best thing I can say about it is that nothing stood out as being Wrong-sounding with it anywhere, tho it didn't WOW you in any area either - but for $150, what does? And other cans at that price definitely have some letdowns, like rolled off highs or bass or wimpy impact, etc.

Wasn't listening for soundstage so I can't comment.

btw, did you hear that cover of The Decemberists covering Human Behavior by Bjork? Pretty groovy.

thanks for the impressions! that is pretty much exactly what i want in a portable non IEM, and the price is right (or will be after i upgrade my source, anyway). yeah, i have that cover on the Bjork cover album that is on the iTMS. it made me like the Decemberists more than i already did.

Feb 2, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 22
I've had the ATH-ES7 for about two weeks, and agree with jjcha's assessment in this post.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...8&postcount=17

Midbass can sometimes be too strong and lacks detail and texture. It's actually stronger than the HD25-1's. Overall sound quality is competitive with the HD25-1 (using HD650 stock cable). Pop and electronica are more suitable for the more exciting ES7 than classical or jazz. Isolation is good and about the same as the HD25-1's. Clamping force feels a bit less than the HD25-1. The mirror finish is similar to an iPod's and attracts fingerprints. It comes with a velvet cloth pouch for storage and a small square cloth. I keep it in one of the bCase black zipper cases I use for Grados.

Click to view

Click to view

Edit: the iPod is covered with the IPV9000 skin from DecalGirl.com

Feb 2, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 22
I have a large head (as in long and narrow) and found some fit problems with the ES7s. So, be careful if that is descriptive of your general head shape.

Feb 2, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 22
Are these at all very rugged? Like are they able to be thrown into a bag? Or should I look at somthing more durable, say Pro700s? The finish on the outside leads me to believe they're not.

Feb 2, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BodiesOfLight
Are these at all very rugged? Like are they able to be thrown into a bag? Or should I look at somthing more durable, say Pro700s? The finish on the outside leads me to believe they're not.

Well, JJCha's cable broke, so the cable may not be that sturdy. But lan popped on a Grado headphone cable and it looks nice and beefy now!

Feb 2, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #10 of 22
bangraman also has a pair of these, so hopefully he'll chime in eventually. I've not heard them myself, but hope to stumble into a pair soon. Perhaps at the national meet.

Feb 3, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
the remarks in the latest NYC meet thread have me interested in these cans, as i've been wanting a nice (as in nicer than portapro) portable headphone that doesn't require the whole etymotic rigamarole. what is the general sound signature, and how is the isolation?

I have a pair of these ... picked them up in the far-east while travelling. They sound really nice after some burn-in. I have impaired hearing (is that what they call it these days ?!!) so i tend to crank it up a bit. They sound tight and punchy without an amp and this is at 50-60% of iPod volume (hope that helps). I do however have one of those tiny c-moy amps i picked up in ebay and it sounds even better.

Feb 3, 2006 at 9:23 AM Post #12 of 22
How would these sound against the ATH-A*** lineup?
Do they sound better than the ATH-A900??????
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

the ES7 is definitely on the "darker" side of things but has a pleasant treble (though the treble isn't nearly as crisp or clean as a good audiophile can) sparkle here and there.

This is like the Koss KSC-35s??????

Thanks!

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:59 AM Post #13 of 22
Cuz I'm lazy. Sorry. Blog seems to be running slow right now.

http://phonephile.blogspot.com/2005/...th-es7_31.html

I'd say isolation is significantly down on the HD25-1, and that sound quality isn't quite competitive. The overall flavour might be more pleasing to some though.

Being shaky handed, etc
tongue.gif
here's my extremely rough comparison between what I think the ES7 (left) and the HD25 (right) offers.
es7-hd25.jpg

(the HD25 treble hump should be slightly further down I guess... the sibilance must come from elevated lower/upper trebles)

Feb 3, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
bangraman also has a pair of these, so hopefully he'll chime in eventually. I've not heard them myself, but hope to stumble into a pair soon. Perhaps at the national meet.

lol, Wayne! You did hear these! They were that nice little portable can you liked out of my notebook computer at the NYC meet.

I'm still surprised at how much people seem to like these when they listen to them. I definitely agree that they have their sonic weaknesses - I wouldn't call them hi-fi at all. But it is a pleasant sound that does very well outdoors (where the huge bass is a good thing) and with rock/pop music.

If you have a big head, the headband is pretty stretchable. Actually, without stretching them, the vice-grip of death is too much for me.

Best regards,

-Jason

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #15 of 22
I'm kicking myself for not trying Jason's pair at the NYC meet. Still (sort of ) looking for a pair of closed portables with decent sound quality for office & library duty, but may end up grabbing a pair of K271's again.

Jason, are you bringing them to the NJ meet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back