Audio Technica ATH-ES7 Owners PLEASE help, is this an "Athttle" ?
May 13, 2007 at 6:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

wrecked_porsche

Headphoneus Supremus
Edit: I think the problem is due to maybe a hair in the driver. An Athttle... LOL
I opened it up, well kinda, and I'll see what happens. Refer to post #6.

Hi fellow Head-Fiers.
wink.gif

I'm having some doubts about my ATH-ES7 build quality, please help me out.
confused.gif
I love the way it sounds, but....

If you own an ATH-ES7, please help me check out something, it really bugs me. When I play this song(link below), my left side of the can has a vibration that annoys me, its very subtle and only happens on very low bass heavy songs like the one I’ve linked below. For example, at the 40s mark it happens. I’ve only had my ATH-ES7 for about a month or so only.

In case you’re wondering, no its not a spoilt driver, its something to do with a loose housing or something, because when I “press back” the inner black cloth part, it seems to temporarily solve it. A few days later it comes back. Its not really evident on other songs because the instruments drown it out, but on a select few, like the one I posted, its noticeable and it bugs me. It also bugs me to know that in other tracks, the sound will be in there somewhere with the other instruments… LOL

Here is the link: http://www.MegaShare.com/173702

This is where I have to press to get rid of the stupid vibration...
blink.gif

presshereyy6.jpg

I just wanna check with you guys if its design fault or am I just plain unlucky? I bought my set from Singapore so its gonna be kinda of a hassle for me to go back there and get it changed. I’m from Malaysia BTW. I’m wondering if I should just live with it….

If you own another headphone just give it a try too, is this rattling caused by the bloody low resonance kinda bass? Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, turn it up to a level that is loud enough for that bass to kick in, something in the region you would listen to when you’re frustrated or angry. LOL

Is the bass on that track too demanding? It can even make my headphone vibrate at the 36s mark! Maybe I should just play this track on my speakers and not the headphones? I'm such a basshead...
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
LOL

I like this can very,very much actually, its just that this minor thing has put such a damper on how much I actually like it.
frown.gif

Thanks for all the help guys.

May 13, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #2 of 19
it could be a strand of hair touching the driver. pull off the cushion and make sure that there isn't any hair touching the driver. you can use compressed air to blow off the hair or dust. just make sure that you don't aim directly at the driver to make sure you don't damage it.

May 14, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 19
Ok, will do.

Edit: Ok, I've looked it up. I've sucked on the left side, rattling seems to be gone for now, but I dunno how long it will last, because as I've said before, the problem will come back after a few days of using my previous solution.

BTW, how do I open up the padding to reveal the driver? I need specific instructions for the ATH-ES7. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 19
@fureshi, i just did what you told me and yanked the cover off because I couldn't wait any longer, and managed to open it up, but couldn''t remove the 4 screws inside otherwise it would have voided the warranty. It was covered in white tape. Damn. Well I just managed to "blow and suck" that's all... LOL I'll just see what happens... I hope it fixes the bloody problem.

Just for any future use, people who want to open up your ES 7, I'll post a pic of what it looks like inside...

dsc02264editwt4.jpg

basshead.gif

I have a question though, why is it that all the "grattle" problems happen on the left side? Even mine is on the left side. Mine is a Athttle though.
biggrin.gif

Does it have something to do with most of us being right handed and thus leading us to remove the headphones in a certain way?
confused.gif
blink.gif

May 14, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 19
Hold up, were you blowing and sucking on the driver?
plainface.gif

You could have just destroyed your headphones....

May 15, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #9 of 19
Sucking on headphones is very bad. You might have collapsed the front of the cone. You can probably fix it by blowing with medium strength into the rear of the headphone, and i hope it's an open back type headphone otherwise you'll have to open it up.

The other thing is, even when a hair on the driver is the problem, it's not always possible to remove it. I opened up my DT-990 drivers today and there were hairs literally fused to the driver, and no amount of blowing or even rubbing it with my finger would remove them. I had to unstick them with tweezers. No idea how that happened. And who knows when a hair may unsettle itself next and cause a grattle or athttle, lol, the most unpronouncable headphone rattle. Your best bet is to get them repaired or replaced with the warranty - that's what it's there for.

May 15, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #10 of 19
Guys, I didn't suck or blow thaaaaaat hard… LOL.
Well, now the vibration is barely noticeable or very, very infinitesimal/gone altogether. So I guess it was an ATHttle after all then… LOL
If the problem crops up again, I think I’ll go all the way to Singapore to claim my warranty. You are right; the warranty is there for a reason.

Anyhow, the transparent plastic directly in front of the coil, is that what you meant by the cone? It’s quite stiff and I don’t think it would have collapsed easily. I blew without applying any pressure, just held it close and blew. Then sucked a little… LOL.

I’ll be more careful the next time (I hope there won’t be a next time). It’s just that I did a search and people were blowing, sucking and even air blasting them… So I thought I’d give them a try and see.

BTW, the ES7 is a closed supra-aural type headphone. I’m itching to get an open type circum-aural headphone next since I already have a pair of canal-phones….
wink.gif

However the ATH-L3000 is calling out and the Beyerdynamics are screaming my name… They look sooo comfy…

Head-Fi is bad for our poor wallets… LOL
But then again you guys already knew that.

Thanks again to all who replied in this thread, I appreciate your help. I’ve learnt a few new things and maybe created a new word too.. ATHttle…
Thanks guys.
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 19
Bought these headphones while ago, and have been experiencing word for word the exact same issue. Left side of the headphones will make a rattling noise when deep bass songs are played.... but only sometimes.

It seems like a random occurance and really bothers me. I've thought about sending them to AT, although every time I'm about ready to just do it, it goes away, and I think to myself... what if it never comes back.

I just wanted to know if what you did here solved the issue. This thread seems to be from a year ago (sorry for bumping), so did this solve your problems? Please let me know.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back