Audio-Technica ATH-ES10 (as universal headphones) for $350. Wise or Not?
Dec 17, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #17 of 24
Never heard them, I bought the ESW9's a couple of weeks ago, not my cup of tea although extremely beautiful design

letting these babies go for a reasonable price

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #19 of 24

Quote:
How reasonable, although I shouldn't really ask since I go to Japan where they really are reasonably priced.

not reasonable enough for Japanese customers I guess, there will be shipping costs from Europe

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #20 of 24
Own an ES10
They work for electro and rock, not so much acoustic. Doesn't really work for classical IMO but for an all-rounder, they work well

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #22 of 24
On the first glance, very good! Moreover, I'd say perfect. Repeating, that I'm not audiophile, just love music and I don't try to hear more than I can, I say ES10 is great headphones for portable. Currently, I listen more electronic music and I'm delighted to all of frequencies - from very low bass upto ringing highpass.

Second day. During the day I listen them. During the night I warm them up with "TARA LABS Cascade Noise Burn-In Disc". I especially do not believe in magic, but once there is a physical explanation of the process - let it be. It won't be worse, but it seems to me, the sound became a little more space. Although, perhaps this self-deception.

Convenience is fine. They are tight enough sitting on my head, and it's no excess pressure there. Nor from headband on top of the head, not from embouchures on ears. On rapid walking ES10 don't move back and forth.

Something about "COLD WEATHER". I should say, that these days in Moscow cold enough. To minus 10 degrees Celsius, or plus 14 Fahrenheit, but we never measure in Fahrenheit - I wrote just for fun :wink: I wore them under my hood jacket, and even tried wear them over the fine sport caps. Both options is acceptable - but better avoid both of them under the warm, bright sun, for example, in San-Francisco :wink: Hello to all residents warm places on the globe!

Something about "HOT EARS". By the way, for my topic about UNIVERSAL propeties. Yesterday I listened them at work. All is ok, but it's great ear heaters :wink: Not a big problem, but after some hours your ears will become red and ache a little bit. For listening at home, I still want something other (like Denon AH-D5000 or similar). But, if get used to listen ES10 at work (and home) may be I will refuse from buying other headphones and return to thought to make ES10 universal. That is important to have some mobilty to travel not only street but and inside home. And ES10 with my "old friend" Cowon iAudio 7 - cool combination.

About soundproofing on the subway noise - it's 4 from 5. Little worse than my IEM headphones Sennheiser IE4. But (and this very important!) quality of sound ES10 compare to IE4 is much higher. Bass on IE4 so strong depends from positioning that I had to correct their situation all the time.

ES10 very comfortable, with excellent sound headphones and I think this purchase for $ 350 justified by 100%!

If something will change in this my opinion, I'll tell you, if you want.

P.S.: Again sorry for my English. Even this post was written with help of dictionary :wink:

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #23 of 24

Hi! I have the ath-m50s and I just ordered a pair of the Shure SRH750DJs. I like the sound of my M50s but I am looking for something a little more fun (warmer?). Do you think the ES10s are a good option for me? 
Here is the link of my post.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/530219/help-upgrading-from-audio-technica-ath-m50s
Thanks a lot.

Quote:

I have a pair of ES10s.

I was looking for a decent pair of portable headphones, as IEMs are not always ideal for me, and I think the es10 are probably best for this. I also own the hd25 and m50 and prefer the sound of the ES10 over these as well as the looks.

I can't say I've had any issues with the quality of the seams or the durability in general, but I do try to take extra care of them. They aren't like the hd25s which can be chucked around.

Isolation is average, but it's good enough for me.

I doubt you'd be disappointed buying them and I can't think of an alternative, which is why I bought them.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #24 of 24
I own both M50 and ES10.  Each serves different purposes... M50 for home listening in my home library (it's more comfortable to me and has larger soundstage) ES10 is for all other listening situations including outdoor.  M50 is too big for the street.  ES10 is stylish and suitable for the outdoor.

Sound wise.  ES10 is noticeable warmer and smoother with slightly more presence on the low end.  M50 has a little more sparkle on the top-end.  Both share very similar sound signature and I use them with just about every genre.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back